PDA

View Full Version : A 'Dash' from the past......

EESDL
27th Jan 2011, 23:10
Started to giggle tonight for no other reason than memories of a Scottish Sqn Ldr bloke I can't remember the name of who spent an evening in the Aldergrove bar extolling the virtues of a certain type of single malt to me and my wife.
As a first tourist I regarded his enthusiasm for a certain make of scotch with some reserve but now, 21-years later, I appreciate why he was so moved by the drink.

Sitting in a dark bar in the Western Region of Ghana, just a couple of hours ago, my gaze rested upon the top shelf, and what was standing there next to the dodgey Gilbeys, Saphire and Capt Morgans but a bottle of his favoured Auchentoshen single malt............along with its description of apple vats blah blah blah!!! Tis was the first time I had seen a bottle since his emotional tales in the early 90s.

I blinked a couple of times as I had never sought the make before as previous adventures with malts had caused me to forget long periods of my youth....:yuk:

The barmaid asked me why I had started to chuckle, couldn't adequately explain and asked for the bottle.

I had only gone out for a quiet drink and a bite to eat.............

Took the bottle over to some strangers and finished it off whilst talking complete rubbish......2 of them turned out to be Yanks so you can probably picture the scene.

The Sqn Ldr was ex-Chinook doing a Flt Cdr tour on Wessex, early 90s, I think his first name was Andy, will be in my logbook but that is many thousands of miles and many thousands of hours away at present moment in time.....you'll know who you are as your passion for this particular malt was unswerving and fully justified!!

Just wondered if other pilots have had such a 'dash' from the past?

Not Long Here
28th Jan 2011, 03:59
I always remember stumbling into the bar of the Officers Club, NAS Jacksonville in 1978 to discover that they had a bottle of Glenmorangie.

Having asked for a wee dram the barman then added green food colouring as it was St Patricks Day

Hueymeister
28th Jan 2011, 08:02
A 'Dash' from the past...hmmmm let's see...

I have a fond memory of a liqueur based Ice Cream that Maude's Ice Cream Parlour did..saw the same flavour recently in a shopping mall on the west coast of the USofA, tried it...must have had something off in it as I spent the night 'dashing' to the nearest convenience....:yuk::yuk::yuk::\:mad:

Andy?...did he have a rather 'fit' better half renowned for 500 sit ups per day? If so he was Andy McCauley...later 72 Sqn's boss..the last one I believe...

DSAT Man
28th Jan 2011, 08:28
Brandy Sours at pre-pre-drinks in a mate's room before a DIN at Innsworth cc 14 years ago; his missus was Head Matron in Cyprus at the time and he used to bring back loads of Metaxa every time he went out to see her. Remember stumbling into the ante-room for pre-tinctures and, next day, not having a clue as to what we had all eaten for dinner.:=

Hydraulic Palm Tree
28th Jan 2011, 09:03
EESDL

Andy McAuley....smashing chap he was/is too!

EESDL
28th Jan 2011, 09:07
Nope - can't pin this one on Andy Mac, he was my Flt Cdr and remember him well - one of the better execs I had the pleasure of knowing on 72.......

Floppy Link
28th Jan 2011, 09:58
Millar?
Can't remember if he was Andy or not, definitely scottish though.

Mules

chinook240
28th Jan 2011, 10:28
The Millar was Colin!

Hueymeister
28th Jan 2011, 10:47
Collin Miller, saw him very recently at Farnborough...top chap:ok:

EESDL
28th Jan 2011, 11:58
Yep - of course the 'Andy' was most definately Colin Miller - ha - getting old!!

Hueymeister
28th Jan 2011, 12:05
Blast from the past...stayed at RAF Shawbury not that long ago, and in my corridoor there was a 77 Cse 'Num vi Insanus in Salopia' sticker on the door!!! That takes me back....Dom and JJ singing, Reggie's fire helmet and toy tractor...mess cannons, Andy R's clapped out MGB and incessant interruptions of Albie Fox in Ground School, Andy B's shoite taste in music, GPMG's, STARFISH drinks etc, etc :\:E

teeteringhead
28th Jan 2011, 15:26
I heard a buzz that Dom might be returning to Shawbury ..........;)