PDA

View Full Version : F/A-18 Hornet cancelled at this year's F1 Grand Prix!

ptrg
26th Jan 2011, 21:29
Although it's not RPT talk, I thought quite a few would be interested to know that the traditional F/A-18 Hornet fly over at the Melbourne Grand Prix has been cancelled as of today!

The manager of Port of Melbourne(?) was just on 774 and said he has been pushing for years to have it cancelled.
His reason(s)?

- It's very loud for the elderly people who "unfortunately have to live in Albert Park" (his words, not mine) and that they have no where to go..

- There's the possibility that the jet could crash over inner Melbourne "and it's full of jet fuel" (no mention of the fact that there is still to be 6 very tight PC9's still 'risking the people of melbourne's health')

- Oh, and he even threw in at then end "lot's of dogs and cats also get very scared"

All this from a guy who reckons he is planning to volunteer down at the Airshow in March.. I know that for many, the Hornet was the hilight of the Grand Prix, and I dare one inner city worker to honestly say "Damn, I was really wanting to work hard, but I unfortunately had to watch a fighter jet out my window, buzz around for 10 minutes instead.." What a nufnuf..

ampclamp
26th Jan 2011, 21:58
I'd rather hear a Hornet for a few minutes than those noisy pieces of screaming $#!T for hours on end any day.
What a hypocrite!

Jack Ranga
26th Jan 2011, 22:06
Bring back the US Marines F16's simulated (formation) carrier approach!

Ohhhhh the noise :D:D

MtIsaFlyer42
26th Jan 2011, 22:08
Yeah I agree! I mean if you cancel the military jet flyovers, why not also cancel the Qantas flyover, the roulettes, the media helicopters, corporate helicopters, in fact why not just ban all aviation movement within a 100km radius of the city?

Also, if he wants to complain about the noise, then why not just shut the whole F1 event down as well? I hear F1 cars are pretty damn noisy these days?

And if you buy a property near a Formula One track .... then stop complaining! You live next to one of the best sporting events (and subsequent entertainment) in the world, and if you feel the need to complain about that, then clearly you don't have anything better to do!

How about all the people who live in places like Katherine, Townsville, Ipswich/Brisbane and Newcastle. They hear these jets training day in and day out, and if you ask most residents, they would be sad to see those jets leave the sky (evidence of all the 'Farewell F111' news articles recently). They live with the noise day in and day out .... but one person in Melbourne decides that for 10 seconds, it's too hard for them to cover there ears??

Thanks alot to whoever you are .... you've just ruined not only entertainment for the people of Melbourne, but all the people who will be watching the event around the world. :( And clearly you don't deserve to volunteer at the Avalon Air Show this year!

WannaBeBiggles
26th Jan 2011, 22:08
I live across from Albert Park Lake and can tell you the noise from the cars lasts a whole lot longer and is bloody loud and is going to upset anyone who doesn't like noise a whole lot more than a 15 minute F18 display!

ampclamp
26th Jan 2011, 22:23
That biggles is my point entirely.F1 makes a massive amount of noise.Can that and keep the flyover!
They had a hornet do a flyover in fair ADL yesterday for Oz day at the cricket.One plane one pass but they did it.

18-Wheeler
26th Jan 2011, 22:43
Pffft ..... keep the race and add more cars. Use Cessna 152's for the overfly or even paper aeroplanes ..... just keep the race.

The Green Goblin
26th Jan 2011, 22:52
Our society is really starting to friggen **** me.

We should ship all the OH&S gurus, greenies and do gooders to Tasmania. Leave the rest of Australia to the people who actually enjoy life, and allow other people to enjoy theirs too.

Pathetic.

airtags
26th Jan 2011, 22:59
....anyway......the planes are more interesting than the cars and cost the Vic Govt (vic taxpayers - govt's dont have any money) a whole lot less......... F1 like Indy and V8 racing has become a bore as is reflected in ticket sales, ad revenues and tv audiences.

AT :E

3 Holer
26th Jan 2011, 23:42
A very nice flyover at the cricket one dayer in ADL yesterday. Didn't help the Ozzies though......very unbritish of the Poms to beat us on Australia Day!:E

gordonfvckingramsay
26th Jan 2011, 23:44
....and announced just after we all celebrated this nations "can do", "easy going", "no worries" attitude to life. Really, is it going to ruin everyones life if a jet flies around for a few minutes once a year?

Sad, very sad :{

GAFA
27th Jan 2011, 01:19
With the luck QF are having at the moment if I lived nearby I would be more concerned of bits falling from the QF aircraft rather than the noise of the Hornet:rolleyes:

ryanboxer
27th Jan 2011, 01:23
how about a bunch of gliders do a fly over, no noise, very little risk of major damage...

Stationair8
27th Jan 2011, 01:30
Well now that we have eliminated that risk for the good people of Melbourne perhaps the good fellow could put his attention to fixing a few other problems at the GP like:

1. drunken bogans,

2. drugged bogans,

3. the celebrities and minders who suffer from inflated egos,

4. the crushing bores and associated bimbo's that one has to endure in the corporate tents,

5. beggars.

propblast
27th Jan 2011, 02:10
There's the possibility that the jet could crash over inner Melbourne "and it's full of jet fuel"

Sounds like he is implying that the pilot doesn't know what he is doing. And the ground crew, everyone involved in F/A-18 ops actually.

But those PC-9 guys, they are all right. Their planes are painted red to make them go faster. Just like the cars.:E

GAFA
27th Jan 2011, 02:33
And what about the noise from the concerts? They go on for hours not just minutes.

Trojan1981
27th Jan 2011, 04:08
Pretty stupid.

I would say that many genuine motorsport fans also share an interest in aviation. While the Cars and racing are the highlights, the Hornet display added to the atmosphere of the event.
Melbourne will lose the GP eventually, and that's a good thing. It needs to go to a city where it is appreciated. I think personally it will probably go to Perth. This is just the latest of many incidents in which City and state officials have demonstrated their contempt for the event and proved that they are not worthy of hosting it.

Captain Dart
27th Jan 2011, 08:49
I vaguely remember a certain early Adelaide Grand Prix where a certain F/A-18 pilot put on such an impressive show that Formula One drivers complained that they'd been upstaged! That (ex-Navy) pilot is now very, very senior in the RAAF.

How times have changed in the Australian 'Nanny' (erm... I mean 'Lawyer') State.

Absolutely bloody pathetic, if true :yuk:.

Mick.B
27th Jan 2011, 08:53
That must have been 86 or 87 when Mark was the Hornet display pilot. Anyone remember the Moorabbin Airshow back then. First Hornet I ever seen.

TBM-Legend
27th Jan 2011, 08:55
Bring back the US Marines F16's simulated (formation) carrier approach!

Ohhhhh the noise

Didn't know the USMC flew F-16's :ooh:

More the truth is the red headed sheila-bloke canned it....meaning Ronnie RAAF tightens the budget. We must be so politically correct these days. People can't have fun at Govt's expense...can we???:\

Wally Mk2
27th Jan 2011, 10:03
I don't have a problem with the race taking place (it's not my cup of tea) but I do dislike the fact that I have to contribute to it by way of my taxes going to waste. Like aviation make the race goers/user pays. Get rid of the race & the noise from the Jet won't be an issue:E

Wmk2

TBM-Legend
27th Jan 2011, 11:57
It's about the only thing that breaks up the monotony of Mel'bin...

I mean how many jam donuts can you eat at the Mel'bin CG?

ptrg
27th Jan 2011, 12:04
Roulettes are gawwn too, but RAAF will be sending a balloon..

Grand prix loses Roulettes, offered a balloon instead (http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/grand-prix-loses-roulettes-offered-a-balloon-instead-20110127-1a6y7.html)

Captain Sand Dune
27th Jan 2011, 20:56
How about some meaningful cost cuts - disband 34SQN.
Oh hang on - that means the pollies can't have their egos stroked, ergo t'won't happen.

Captain Sand Dune
27th Jan 2011, 20:58
Roulettes are gawwn too, but RAAF will be sending a balloon..
Oh FFS!
Wonder if its got anything to do with VIC being held by the "enemy"?:E

eagle 86
27th Jan 2011, 22:08
Slightly off topic but the scheduled F18 flypast was a no show at Darwin's Oz Day celebrations.
GAGS
E86

VH-XXX
28th Jan 2011, 00:28
As fun as it might be to watch them fly over, it IS a waste of money. It is a corporate event with major sponsors so I don't know how it ever fit the requirements for RAAF participation in the first place. They usually only do Government, Paid and Charity events so I was surprised that this made it in.

The GP costs Victoria over $50M so saving a few more bucks won't hurt.

Critical Reynolds No
28th Jan 2011, 00:30
I thought the point was to recruit, bundled as entertainment.

VH-XXX
28th Jan 2011, 12:05
In reality, probably far better recruitment value to be gained at Avalon, complete with ground crew, Army and others with interactive displays and cool stuff.

flyhigh744
28th Jan 2011, 14:47
Damn that was a fine spectacle!

NOT!

Jokes!

bankrunner
28th Jan 2011, 22:42
How about some meaningful cost cuts - disband 34SQN.
Oh hang on - that means the pollies can't have their egos stroked, ergo t'won't happen.

I'd pay good money to see Julia whipping out her personal credit card for a snack on DJ economy :ok:

bankrunner
28th Jan 2011, 22:46
They usually only do Government, Paid and Charity events so I was surprised that this made it in.

They do any major public event they see fit. They've been known to do F-111 dump and burns at Skyfire, an annual fireworks show in Canberra run by one of the local radio stations.

Probably wouldn't do your 5 year old's birthday party though, unless you're name's Bill Shorten :E

Captain Sand Dune
29th Jan 2011, 00:51
They do any major public event they see fit.
Trust me, the process for securing approval for a flypast by a military aircraft is painfully bureaucratic and ass-covering.
The ADF only does flypasts when approved at the highest level. Unit CO's lost the authority to do those things many years ago.
The sad fact is that although 99.9% of the populace enjoy flypasts by military aircraft, those in the ivory tower only react to the 0.1% of the whingers.

Mr. Hat
29th Jan 2011, 03:42
Can 'em along with all other tax payer funded non essential carry on.

Captain Sand Dune
29th Jan 2011, 04:40
Can 'em along with all other tax payer funded non essential carry on.
Probably wouldn't get much arguement from the ADF.