PDA

View Full Version : Pac Blue interview

scardycap
25th Jan 2011, 10:25
Hi all
Have just been invited to an interview at Pacific Blue in 2 weeks. I have used the good ol search button and found some info but was hoping some kind souls would provide some more up to date info.
2 weeks doesn't give me much warning to brush up on the ATPL stuff I did a few years ago as well as the IFR etc, so I'm about to hit the caffeine and do my best.

Thanks in advance:ok:

GW_04
25th Jan 2011, 10:41
Same as Virgin. Do Kirsties course (Pinstripe Solutions). Know your current aircraft backwards. And just relax and be yourself with no bull****. If you don't know something, tell them. Good luck.

GW_04
25th Jan 2011, 12:13
Read CASA AC-121A-3(0). ETOPS and EDTO is operator specific so just know the basics.

snakeslugger
25th Jan 2011, 18:53
Have they said they'll pay for the type rating? If not, salary sacrifice is imminent although they are loathed to call it such.

scardycap
25th Jan 2011, 20:42
Got a friend who just got in and I think at this stage he's having to pay upfront for the type rating

blacksmoke
25th Jan 2011, 20:45
From the amount of guys leaving, you just have to turn up and you will get the gig. Mates there saying they are in dire straits for pilots.

bowing
25th Jan 2011, 20:52
what makes it worse is not enough training captains!!!they delayed the bali flights takeover not enough crew!!!!!!!:ugh:

scardycap
25th Jan 2011, 21:20
Thanks for the info so far. Does anyone know what the sim ride entails? Is it the same as virgin?
Just wondering do I give Alteon some more of my hard earned cash for a practice run first

Under Dog
25th Jan 2011, 22:10
Can anyone confirm wether your employed by Pac Blue or is it a crewing company.

The Dog

GW_04
26th Jan 2011, 00:18
They delayed the Bali take over because of AOC issues. Nothing to do with lack of crew.

They were doing the SIM's in one of those flight experience simulators, so a practice on the real SIM would help very little. I have heard its beneficial to have a go on the FE SIM before hand because it really does fly nothing like you would expect.

The SIM ride used to be a departure out of Auckland, climb to 10,000ft, steep turns, decent and approach into Auckland with a procedure turn onto the ILS to land. All manual flight, no flight director or auto throttle. All flown at 250Kts prior to the approach.

They give you a good brief before hand so take lots of notes.

Pretty good company to work for, great flying, however I hope you like being away a lot and doing lots of flying.

Good luck :ok:

snakeslugger
26th Jan 2011, 00:55
Under Dog Can anyone confirm wether your employed by Pac Blue or is it a crewing company.

The Dog

You are employed by PBEC - Pacific Blue Employment and Crewing

Global Xpress
26th Jan 2011, 02:59
While we're on the subject, does anyone have any updated info on the VB recruitment process? Interview qns, behavioural, technical? Sim profile?

I hear they have been solidly interviewing since the new year, and before:ok:

wtfia
26th Jan 2011, 05:05
To my knowledge Pac. Blue currently have no sim ride. I have had several mates interview there within the last few months, all in Christchurch and none have had a sim ride.

Gresley Pacific
26th Jan 2011, 09:31
Just wondering if PB need, will employ, or are employing any direct entry captains with experience on type?

scardycap
27th Jan 2011, 02:00
Thank you everyone for all your help. Have got some great info to get me going.

Just wondering what the lifestyle is like. How many overnights etc?

snakeslugger
27th Jan 2011, 02:16
PB was known as the lifestyle airline but those days are long gone along with good people as a result. Expect approx 10 nights away per month.

bowing
27th Jan 2011, 02:32
PB been interviewing for a while how many crew are they after etc
and their future direction/plans etc

limitedrisk
28th Jan 2011, 04:46
I don't think there is any facility to salary sacrifice in NZ. If you are paid under NZ tax law you would either pay upfront or pay in installments after tax.

DeltaT
28th Jan 2011, 09:55
I did the Pac Blue interview back in Nov 2009. I studied up hard on all the stuff you will find here in Pprune, only to find the interview format totally different and didn't get it accordingly.
Study up on the HR bullsh*t questions; give us an example of a time when....

GW_04
4th Feb 2011, 11:19
As I said, do the Pinstripe Solution course. It's not so much about passing the interview but getting to know yourself well so you can answer the tough questions with honisty. The behavior questions are designed to help them get to know you. If you can be armed with knowledge about yourself, that will help you the most with the behavior type questions. In the end, its these questions that usually get you the job or not. :ok:

scardycap
4th Feb 2011, 11:44
Thanks mate

I see Kirsty next Thursday:ok:

bowing
4th Feb 2011, 11:50
any idea on the numbers they looking for crew?

thanks

Centaurus
4th Feb 2011, 13:00
They were doing the SIM's in one of those flight experience simulators, so a practice on the real SIM would help very little. I have heard its beneficial to have a go on the FE SIM before hand because it really does fly nothing like you would expect.

The steep turns at 45 degrees bank angle used on the sim assessment in a real 737 full flight simulator have an entirely different nose up attitude than you will experience on the Japanese tourist flight experience sim.

In other words the flight experience box lacks fidelity in that particular manoeuvre. Having said that, if the airline assessment is to be conducted on the flight experience sim then it would be worth spending a couple of hundred dollars to buy some practice. Make sure the flight experience sim instructor is qualified on the real 737 as some of their "instructors" are PPL or CPL only - although they are used to the quirks of the flight experience sim

Centaurus
4th Feb 2011, 13:03
In the end, its these questions that usually get you the job or not.

Precisely. Doesn't matter a toss if you can't fly as long as you know the canned HR answers. That is because once in the airline, manual flying skills are considered not that important because its all automatic pilot for the rest of your career:ok:

scardycap
4th Feb 2011, 23:42
That is because once in the airline, manual flying skills are considered not that important because its all automatic pilot for the rest of your careerThat's what I'm hoping for. Sick of trying to hold my coffee in one hand and fly the a/c with the other:ok:

Capt Fathom
5th Feb 2011, 03:57
There won't be any coffee......unless you pay for it! :{

bowing
5th Feb 2011, 04:38
no free coffee??:mad:
no wonder why crew are leaving the joint....

bowing
5th Feb 2011, 07:50
I believe you can with a NG type rating even better...good luck:ok:and alot of money to fund your T.R if you successful...:(

Sqwark2000
6th Feb 2011, 08:21
Has anyone scored a Pacific Blue interview with CPL + ATPL Subjects?

Recent successful applicant with CPL, F/O on B1900D.

S2K

Raropilot
4th Oct 2011, 03:15
Hmmm wait indefinitely for turboprop command or take the plunge and go for PB? :confused: