PDA

View Full Version : 737 design neutralises lightning. Does it?

Critical Reynolds No
24th Jan 2011, 09:28
New to me:

Lightning strikes Qantas plane Aja Styles
January 24, 2011 - 11:46AM
.Engineers are inspecting a Qantas Boeing 737-800 after it was struck by
lightning while landing in Western Australia's north on a flight from Perth last
Friday.

No passengers aboard the flight QF 1070 to Broome were injured because the
plane's design neutralises lightning if it hits the aircraft, a Qantas
spokeswoman said.

She doubted anyone in the cabin felt anything as the plane continued to make its
landing safely.

Only an outer skin and rudder were damaged,
which was inspected on landing and the plane ruled out for further flights.

Seventy passengers expecting to fly to Perth aboard flight QF 1071 that day were
delayed and were instead put on two other Qantas flights running that day.

"Engineers from Perth have gone to Broome for a more detailed inspection -
depending on the outcome (the plane) may return to Perth today to be repaired
and brought back in to service as soon as possible," the spokeswoman said.

Sunfish
24th Jan 2011, 09:35
The lightening bolt current flows around the outside of the skin and rarely does damage.

It's a non issue.

SgtBundy
24th Jan 2011, 10:26
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't most large aircraft have a series of wicks on trailing surfaces in order to dissipate electrical charges, or is that only for lower levels of static electricity build up?

Keg
24th Jan 2011, 11:39
That's mostly for 'normal' static. I've had cabin crew report that when we've been struck by lightening (in cloud at night) that the area around static wicks glowed for the next 2-3 seconds as they discharged.

Two things about this report.

1. I wish that QF's spin doctors would get some decent technical experience. There should be a bog standard answer for this. Something along the lines of:

Lightening strikes on aircraft occur many times a day on aircraft of all types flying around the world. The laws of physics mean that they're inconsequential to crew and passengers. In the case of QF [INSERT FLIGHT NUMBER] the aircraft was struck whilst [ON CLIMB/ DESCENT] [INTO/ OUT OF] [INSERT AIRPORT]. The aircraft has been inspected and [WILL RESUME SERVICE/ WILL REQUIRE SOME MINOR REPAIRS].

2. Given that these things happen to all airlines on a semi regular basis, why is it even newsworthy? After running a decent quote a few times so that the media became used to hearing the same thing time and again (that it's not a big freaking deal) they'll eventually let go.

Angle of Attack
24th Jan 2011, 12:06
737-800's are lightning conductors period.
They receive far more strikes than any other type worldwide.

dodo whirlygig
25th Jan 2011, 02:47
Lightening strikes on aircraft occur many times a day

My company actively seeks to expose our aircraft to lightening strikes as a matter of procedure as they figure, over the course of a year, our AUW will be dramatically reduced and the fuel savings enormous.

We discourage, however, putting the aircraft in a position where we might encounter lightning strikes.