PDA

View Full Version : Frozen in time.

stickandrudderman
24th Jan 2011, 07:31
I just watched a documentary about the recovery of a B29 that had stood on the ice in Greenland for 50 years; super programme and very moving.
I deliberately haven't mentioned any more details than that so that if you don't know the story you can watch it for yourself......
See here:

I have no commercial interest.

Edit: That as may be but it is still advertising- sorry.

treadigraph
24th Jan 2011, 07:48
I have the DVD. Superb documentary and ultimately very sad. There was some discussion about it on here a year or two back.

Pilot DAR
24th Jan 2011, 15:03
I can't wait to watch this (again). My mom very thoughtfully taped it, as at the time, I could not receive that broadcaster, but she did.

Unfortunately, due to some kind of finger trouble with the VCR, only the first half of the episode was taped, leaving me wondering how it all turned out. She told me, but I have never seen the outcome.

This is a have to watch!

stepwilk
24th Jan 2011, 15:59
It's all over YouTube, has been for years.

Tashengurt
24th Jan 2011, 16:54
Remember seeing this many years ago. Very tragic on both counts.

Tcraft41
24th Jan 2011, 23:51
Big egos and under funded adventure that doomed a recoverable B-29. They were going to fly it out in some great blaze of hubris & glory.

Several errors in judgement and some of the supposed statements in the program are simply not true.

One piece of miss information in the program is that they lost all four of the engines in the lake when it melted in the spring. Actually the engines & props were salvaged and returned to a restoration facility in Wichita KS

If they had hooked a small caterpillar to the B-29 they could of towed it to a site where they could have loaded it on a barge and moved it to a suitable place for restoration.

Shameful loss, I watched it once, never again.

Good news is that there is a restored to factory new B-29 on display in Wichita done by retired Boeing employees and a brand new B-29 was the last plane to leave the old Renton plant 2 last month

stepwilk
25th Jan 2011, 02:51
Why would you call that "miss information," whoever that lady might be? At the time the documentary was filmed and then released, that was true: the engines and props were underwater. How were the filmmakers to know they would later be recovered?

Richard Woods
25th Jan 2011, 09:59
The original engines and props were recovered. The replacements the team fitted were still on it when some photo's were taken last year.

Well, the three that survived the bulldozing anyway.

:(

I still think the first year they got it running when there was no snow down, they should have taken the B29 and left the Caribou after it broke.

Rich

Agaricus bisporus
25th Jan 2011, 13:31
Unfortunately that is what happens when irresponsible cowboys get their hands on priceless relics like the Kee Bird.

Appalling waste.

Arclite01
26th Jan 2011, 11:00
I thought Darryl was an egotistical cowboy and he cost his mechanic his life.

It was a ridiculous approach to an easily solveable logistics problem. There should be +1 B-29 on the circuit today.

He did it for the money. He thought it was a quick win ans sell on for big bucks. The pressure was really getting to him at the end (financially and logistically) when for me although they all looked rough, Darryl looked like an old man who realised he was in over his head, completely out of his league but just would not admit it.................

Unsure where he is now. WWW does not throw up much.

Arc