PDA

View Full Version : Not that bad after all

Niceguysa45
24th Jan 2011, 07:29
Got my cpl two weeks ago, have been offered work at three different companies, start flying with a company up north next week. Seek and you shall find, there is work out there

Horatio Leafblower
24th Jan 2011, 08:15
My last commercial graduate has 3 companies fighting over him. :ok:

He is, no question, a great guy and a very capable (tho green) pilot - but still... :confused:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
24th Jan 2011, 08:21
That is magnificent news!!! :D:D

I trust that the $$'s and the 'T & C's are correcto...?? :p:p

Congrats and well done .... ;);)

Cheers:ok:

Jack Ranga
24th Jan 2011, 08:43
Yeah, well done :ok: make the most of it.

Ixixly
24th Jan 2011, 11:02
Good for you mate, there is work out there its true. But be careful putting a post like this up, it could almost be construed as a bit of bragging. Personally it took me a long time to get my first job up here and having someone come on saying they got their job 2 weeks after their CPL and making it sound like it was the easiest thing ever made me cringe just a little.

Without knowing your circumstances, whether you had a fair bit of money available and were able to get some good hours, maybe knew the right people, maybe you just got plain lucky like some do, or are just a brilliant pilot, just keep in mind there are others out there with very few hours and some with a reasonable number of hours that are trying their best and to come on here and post like that making it seem oh so easy could be taken the wrong way.

But personally i'll assume the best and wish you luck in your career and keep in mind that a first job up north is hard this time of season, keep yourself safe!

napiersabre
24th Jan 2011, 11:06
So who are these other companies? It'd be good to know who's looking as i'm moving North in a couple of weeks.

Ixixly
24th Jan 2011, 11:11
Depends on your hours Napiersabre, most important are Total Time, 200series, Retract, CSU and Command Time. ATPLs also help as does an MECIR and/or NVFR but if you don't have hours put down in the others its hard to get a gig in Darwin.

Skynews
24th Jan 2011, 12:13
How in he'll would a possible employer know whether a wannabe was a " traffic pilot" RUBISH.

The best they could do is speak to the wannebee's instructor and you could take his/ hers comments with a grain of salt u less that particular instructor was known o wannabes future employer and then it becomes a case of who you know not what you know!

propblast
24th Jan 2011, 12:27
Just a quiet word. You aint got a job until your pay goes in the bank. And even then, it's a weekly propostion, they are finicky mob these aviation companies.

napiersabre
24th Jan 2011, 12:32
Cheers for the advice Ix. I'll give darwin a miss and probably go to kunners due to only having 350TT. I do have a MECIR and ATPL however I'm not sure how much that'll mean to the likes of alligator airways.

I certainly hope I get a dream run like Niceguysa45.

AussieNick
24th Jan 2011, 22:15
MECIR is good, but useless to a company when your going to be flying single engine aircraft till 1000tt (most likely) all the rating means if you get your head in the cloud you are probably going to be able to keep the plane right side up (but we all know that VFR pilots remain clear of cloud don't we :suspect:)

@niceguysa: congrats on the job mate, too me ages to get my first gig up here, would love to know where your working, feel free to PM me to keep it quite. Also, where did you do your CPL? up here with AV8 or interstate?

mince
24th Jan 2011, 22:30
My advice is always have a current MECIR. Sure you won't need it straight away, but the day WILL come when an IFR spot appears on short notice where you work, and if you aren't rated, the next guy down the list who is will get the promotion

Seen it happen time and again......

SpyderPig
24th Jan 2011, 23:51
Good to hear there are some guys getting jobs pretty quickly. Gives a CPL student like myself hope that there is some light at the end of the tunnel, things have been pretty dim around here for new CPLs:(

ozaggie
25th Jan 2011, 05:16
Hey Niceguy, just noticed the thread below this is titled 'Qantas hiring'. With your employment record, you should have your resume in. You'd be a shoo-in. Best of luck with the job. Got any vaseline?

Niceguysa45
25th Jan 2011, 05:21
Did not mean to brag, just letting fresh cpl's out there like myself know that it is starting to pick up. Not so easy up north, I did not meet the insurance requirments but made arrangments for some ICUS to bridge the gap and no I did not pay for it.
My advice is don't waste all your 200hrs flying your mates around. Go and make as many aviation contacts as you can. Fly to remote air strips let people know who you are and what your looking for. Above all don't think you are better than the bloke pumping your fuel just because you have a CPL MECIR he could own the place, reputation is everything.

ozaggie
25th Jan 2011, 05:25
Good on yer mate. Dont have the problem myself, but a lot of other young buggers out there will take heart from your story. pm me if you want some contacts up north that might be able to give you some sage advice about the tropics.
Cheers, OA

Shagpile
25th Jan 2011, 06:20
sage advice about the tropics...

Half the time it is 31 degrees, Isol TS
The other half is 31 degrees, CAVOK

:)