PDA

View Full Version : BP2380

handbag
23rd Jan 2011, 03:11
Our MX guys will testify that using BP2380 has virtually eliminated engine coking issues with our Alison 250s. Is this a common theme or are we just lucky?

ricksheli
23rd Jan 2011, 03:54
I'm using BP2380, previously Mobil Jet 2, in C28 in Long Ranger, Now been using it for 500hr 2yrs, but difficult to quantify any change, except perhaps that it costs a lot more to buy, but any improvement will probably pay in the long run. I didn't go for Mobil 254 as nearly every RR 250 engine that I've seen using 254 seems to have more than the normal amount of oil leaks.

meloni
23rd Jan 2011, 10:19
My dad told me the Allison 250's like a lot one particular kind of oil, and with another one was pretty crappy (lot of carbon build up) but in any case the 2 min cool down time was a good practise...

I think the good one was the 2380, but i'm not sure..

Fly safe :)

noooby
23rd Jan 2011, 17:42
Hmm, strange how different engines like different oils. Use 2380 in your PT6C with high OAT and you'll be overhauling real early due to carbon particles the size of your finger nail. Use Mobil 254 and you won't suffer carbon build up ever.

ironchefflay
23rd Jan 2011, 23:02
its good in helicopter (332) gearboxes. much fewer leaks at the dynamic seals

Saint Jack
24th Jan 2011, 02:10
This subject has been covered previously, in the 'Jetranger - Longranger' thread if I remember correctly.

Yes, the Allison (Rolls Royce) 250 Series engines are very prone to carbon build-up if certain oils are used. By this I mean the make/model of the oil rather than the mil-spec. For example, my early experience tought me that using Aeroshell 500 in these engines virtually guarantees substantial carbon build-up, a change to Mobil Jet Oil II completely reversed this situation. I've very little experience with other oils but have heard that Mobil Jet Oil 254 is also very good.

handbag: Which oil were you using prior to BP2380?

meloni: The 2 min cool down time is a requirement, not just 'good practise' and is required regardless of which oil is being used.