PDA

View Full Version : Rex Interview & Sim Ride 2011

PSpin
22nd Jan 2011, 20:42
Hi All,

I have an interview hopefully coming up shortly and was just wondering if anyone (Direct Entry F/O) who has completed an interview over the past 12 months could elaborate on the 2010/2011 interview and sim ride in the Saab.

Apart from any major upated info on the interview/ written exams.

Most Importantly.........

How does the Saab sim handle?
Is it heavy, pitchy or hard to slow up?
Any other pertinent information would also be appreciated.

Many Thanks.

pSpin. :ok:

Scamp Damp
22nd Jan 2011, 21:37
Whats your previous experience?

Had any previous turbo prop experience or only piston twins?

PSpin
22nd Jan 2011, 22:16
Twin Piston only :E,

Fonz121
22nd Jan 2011, 22:30
Good to see that they're still taking the odd DE guy. Do you mind telling me approx what hours you have?

All the best

PSpin
22nd Jan 2011, 22:38
As I said in my orginal post "hopefully"

I will refrain from rejoicing. However, I do meet the minimums. 2000 Hrs 500 Multi, ATPL.

If its true, yes mate good to see.....?!? :oh:

And Thanks Fonz :ok:

Jack Ranga
23rd Jan 2011, 00:05
I've heard it's a Metro sim (from a mate about 3-4 years ago) and it's a twitchy little mother. As with most sims if you can fly it the actual aircraft will be easier in the handling sense.

Fonz121
23rd Jan 2011, 00:28
Had a mate go through last year and I think he said they use the 340 now.

PSpin
23rd Jan 2011, 00:37
Thanks guys,

Yeah Fonz, that's what I heard.
If your mates around please point him here if he's got the time and maybe lend a friendly word of advice.

Thanks again all.

PSpin. :ok:

Altimeters
23rd Jan 2011, 09:23
Can confirm it is the 340 now. Pretty sure it's still much the same as it was over the last couple of years. Take off 16 out of ML few steep turns/intercepts of the ADF then an EN NDB with a direct entry. Reposition for the 16 ILS at ML.

If there's 2 of you in there then help the other person out if he/she needs it. It shows good CRM and working well together.

The saab itself is VERY touchy. The power levers are VERY sensitive and easy to over temp the engines. Overall though remember it is just a computer and only responds to the inputs that you make. If you get the pilot induced dutch rolls then let go of the controls to let it sort itself out then take it from there.

Also it will always look like you're high on slope when you look "outside". Don't be tempted to pull the nose up as this will actually leave you high. Instead of being 90% outside and 10% inside reverse it for the sim and it usually works out.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. If there's anything else I remember I'll post it later. Hope it helps. Good Luck! :ok:

Soar2384
23rd Jan 2011, 09:53
Well, I guess it's a matter of opinion there Altimeters. I wouldn't of said that the the Saab was touchy at all but then maybe I'm comparing to the metro. I haven't flown any other turbo props so maybe a third opinion somone?

PSpin the only advice I can give is, it's a bigger plane than what you're used to so treat it like one. By that I just mean give yourself more room to move and time to slow it down. Obviously the torque gauge and the power levers aren't mechanically linked so be aware that the gauges may continue to rise slightly after you stop moving the levers.

Good luck :ok:

chickoroll
23rd Jan 2011, 10:25
What about the actual interview has anyone done it recently? What kind of questions are usually asked? How many on the panel?

PSpin
23rd Jan 2011, 11:54
Hi Altimeters & Soar2384,

Thank you guys for your input, very much appreciated.

Altimters, when you stated “it looks high on slope” did you mean via the GS to PAPI(you’re on GS but 3 whites on PAPI) or runway visual attitude?
Would it be best if I don’t look outside at all in the sim during non landing phases? Due to the fact that my attitude awareness would not be great being the first time in the A/C. I will pay close attention.

Soar: Is there any rule of thumb similar to Turbos i.e – 1 “ MP / min power reduction? If it was a stupid question please disregard.

I will take your comments on-board and hopefully everything will be fine.

Thanks you both and all.

Soar2384
23rd Jan 2011, 13:49
Is there any rule of thumb similar to Turbos i.e – 1 “ MP / min power reduction? If it was a stupid question please disregard.

No such thing as a stupid question in my book mate but not quite sure what rule of thumb you're referring to here as I don't have any experience on turbo pistons. I would imagine that whoever is doing your sim will explain what power settings work well with the scenario that you are flying. As far as operating the power levers go, just use them smoothly but positively like you would on a piston. I wouldn't get wrapped up too much in the nitty gritty stuff like this as you'll only stress yourself out. In the end of the day the check captain will most likely just be focusing on your ability to fly in IMC, to scan the instruments and maybe make safe decisions in abnormal situations.

Would it be best if I don’t look outside at all in the sim during non landing phases? Due to the fact that my attitude awareness would not be great being the first time in the A/C. I will pay close attention.
I would say that you'll be in IMC most of the time anyway. :cool:

PSpin
23rd Jan 2011, 19:21
Hey Soar,

As I am reading your words of wisdom I find myself nodding whole headedly in agreement. Wow, I catch myself being a little over analytical.

I guess a little nervous as one tries to contemplate the audition of lifetime, which is the pinnacle of six years of hard work.

I would say that you'll be in IMC most of the time anyway. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cool.gif

Yeah, that’s what I thought, but just wanted to clarify what Altimeters meant.

Anyway

Again thank you for your guidance & response. :D

Altimeters
24th Jan 2011, 02:21
when you stated “it looks high on slope” did you mean via the GS to PAPI(you’re on GS but 3 whites on PAPI) or runway visual attitude?

Runway visual attitude. However like Soar said you will mostly be in IMC. They wont be judging you on the landing or anything like that it just puts the icing on the cake.

As for the interview itself. A few behavioural questions, and know those Jepps! They will also target questions to the aircraft you have been flying the most in and the operations. For example if you're a multi IFR instructor expect questions on the critical engine.

Not sure if they still do the exam or not. It's been a few years.

PSpin
24th Jan 2011, 05:22
Altimeters I thank you again kind Sir.

All points taken.....!

I do hope I nail that icing though :E

I would like to reiterate my thanks to you and everyone for your words of wisdom.

I wish everyone safe skies.