PDA

View Full Version : Parking at the bowser and wandering off

Aerodynamisist
20th Jan 2011, 07:11
A growing trend I have noticed lately is the increase ignorant :mad:ing dumb:mad: "pilots" who park in front of the bowser get there fuel then wander off to run there errands or wait and load there pax and generally p!ss about when there are others waiting to use the bowser, one Mensa member at emerald recently actually put all the bungs, straps and covers on his chieftain and wandered off. another in an R44 recently who went up to the terminal to get lunch while I parked nose into the R44 to get fuel his D!ick head mate in another R44 parks behind me boxing me in, guess what chopper kook - fixed wings cant back up.

These pricks are worse than copilots who sit there with a vent blowing on there mic so the voice channel flicks on and off, at least they are within striking range.

Is this a symptom of a growing lack of airman ship or am I just getting old and grumpy ?

sixtiesrelic
20th Jan 2011, 07:56
"Y" generation??

aussie027
20th Jan 2011, 07:59
Maybe just old and grumpy????:E

No not all, that is piss poor behaviour. :mad::mad:
Did you have a word to those involved??
Who the hell refuels at the petrol station then leaves their car parked in front of the pump and goes off to do their shopping or run errands???? NO ONE.

If it had been me they would have heard about it.:mad:

mcgrath50
20th Jan 2011, 08:02
Don't blame the Y generation - It's the clueless from all generations! I am always conscious of making sure not to slow people down in the air or on the ground. It's common sense/good manners/airmanship whatever you want to call it.

sarge75
20th Jan 2011, 08:14
I've crossed swords with a few such tossers who do it quite regularly in Coffs Harbour.

It happens here quite regularly and is a disgrace

rioncentu
20th Jan 2011, 08:18
Aero

Yes I too met 2 of them in the one day, at your mentioned location.

Suspect because "they" live next door they think they own the bowser.

Peter Fanelli
20th Jan 2011, 08:45
Yeah well these would be the same people who go to get petrol for their cars, then leave the car parked on a pump while they go inside to do the weeks grocery shopping.

Just another part of the inconsiderate generation.

gobbledock
20th Jan 2011, 09:00
The Townsville Refueller would be most annoyed at this unprofessional habit.

Biter
20th Jan 2011, 09:03
"These pricks are worse than copilots who sit there with a vent blowing on there mic so the voice channel flicks on and off, at least they are within striking range".
Mate I hear ya, then try tell them and 10 minutes later their doing it again.:hmm:

ga.grunt
20th Jan 2011, 09:38
Or pilots that yell CLEAR PROP with the intercom turned on and their mic in front of their mouth.:D

Jack Ranga
20th Jan 2011, 09:46
copilots who sit there with a vent blowing on there

See Wal :ugh:

gassed budgie
20th Jan 2011, 10:08
Well, bowser etiquette just isn't what it used to be. Was at the bowser the other day and someone pulls up right behind me in a 172. Fair enough. But then his mate, was obviously taxiing around the other way to pull up right in front of me. "Surely not" I thought. I thought wrong.
He got the big "wave off" and then decided he'd better pull up behind his mate and wait his turn. Can't have been thinking to hard there.

Anyway, at the avgas bowser yesterday which was right beside the Jet A1 bowser and I spotted this metallic grey coloured egg-beater, which I identified as a squirrel, approaching the field at Warp 7 (had a deadline to meet evidentally).
A straight in on 35, making a bee-line for the Avtur bowser which was not more than 40 feet from where I was perched precariously balanced on the top of this rickety ladder filling the 210. "Surely not" I thought. I thought wrong. Again.
I nearly fell off the ladder and onto the top of the wing. It was only because I was able grip the leading edge of the wing and steady myself that I didn't go for a burton. I reckon the tips of the rotor blades weren't more than 30 feet from where I was balanced. Not good enough I'm afraid.
Still can't believe the guy actually pulled up that close to me. Does make you wonder.

ReverseFlight
20th Jan 2011, 10:24
Parking at the bowser and p*ssing off - I must say in my memory I've been guilty of that twice on my long navs when I needed a leak badly (after checking the bowser is not in great demand).

Now I am reformed - I carry a couple of empty drink bottles so that I will never have to leave the cockpit at intermediate stops. Each "episode" requires a full litre capacity ! :E

Worrals in the wilds
20th Jan 2011, 10:35
Who the hell refuels at the petrol station then leaves their car parked in front of the pump and goes off to do their shopping or run errands????

A whole lot of people. Sitting behind them with your hand on the horn hurries some of them up, but by no means all :ugh:.
The Age Of The Feral...

walaper
20th Jan 2011, 10:37
Reminds me of an incident at Maroochydore or whatever it is now many years ago when Mike Keely in his Bell 47 crop duster dumped whatever was left in his tanks on the inconsiderate that jumped the que on him . I believe the safety rag of that era even published some photo's

remoak
20th Jan 2011, 12:09
Is this a symptom of a growing lack of airman ship or am I just getting old and grumpy ?

Dunno, but it's definitely a symptom of a growing lack of ability to spell, punctuate, and use grammar correctly... :hmm:

PyroTek
20th Jan 2011, 13:52
Airmanship and manners in general are unfortunately making way for cost cutting and schedules, among other things. Have had many people cut in front in circuits, taking spots in bowsers, parking me in. Etc.
Consideration for others in general has dropped.:ugh:

Homesick-Angel
20th Jan 2011, 14:23

Sounds like a bit of both:E although in this case you'd have to call it "groundsmanship" wouldnt ya?

The thing is that people in general seem to have forgotten about looking after each other and it takes an event like the last coupla weeks for people to actually give a crap about anyone but themselves...

Humans really are strange creatures :confused:

Clearedtoreenter
20th Jan 2011, 18:59
Sixtiesrelic, I'm with you. No offence to you gen Y folk, but the way some have their brains wired, they just don't seem to notice when they're really inconveniencing and pissing off us grissly old wrinklies... Its not that they don't care, they just don't have the capacity to sense it.... they are almost always very polite and apologetic when these things are gently brought to their attention. You cant blame the poor darlings, they cannot helpi it.:)

frigatebird
20th Jan 2011, 19:20
Apart from people sitting at bowsers after they have taken their fuel, what really p**%%s me off , is that stupid ad on the telly that has people moaning "MORE For MEEEE"..... :yuk:

Took a young fellow for a night flight the other night. He has his RAA licence, and is training for his Private, and wants to go higher. He didn't get off to a good start with me though when he didn't open his half of the hanger door the last foot till it was flush, and I found out on the way out. My fault tho..should have checked what he had done..

das Uber Soldat
20th Jan 2011, 19:53
These people make me very sad.

Pulled up to the bowser in Bourke one day to find old mate at the Bowser. I sit behind him with the engines running because he's clearly finished refuelling. He then gets in plane and decides to take 10 minutes 'preparing' for his next leg. His radio is off so he doesn't respond to my 'suggestion' to move and his engine is running so I can't pull him out of his plane and beat him to death.

Eventually he moves and I 'inform' him over the radio the inconvenience.

About 2 hours later I arrive at Charleville, low and behold, old mate is at the bowser again, and this time initially nowhere to be seen. Eventually I spot him in the shop getting lunch, and then eating it. I sit about an inch behind his plane with engines running and gesticulate to move the bloody thing. He decides to wave and continue eating.

The best part was when I got out and got him to move it, he casually saunters over and asks me about getting him a job.

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Wally Mk2
20th Jan 2011, 21:56
Great story that one 'dus' makes for interesting reading:-) Same thing happens out on the roads daily (poor car-man-ship) but road rage is the result. Hopefully pilots are more tolerant/professional but it won't be long before some one gets their snout kicked in at a fuel pump !

I doubt these people do it on purpose they simply don't think outside their own little world. I'd like a dollar for every time I have been loading/unloading a patient(back in the good 'ole days) & have had to endure some pilot running up his engine prior to t/off right beside us as well as pilots parking right in front of us blocking our taxi out path, they just have no idea, it's amazing they even know which side of the plane to sit on!

Airman-ship is a lost art these days:ugh:

Wmk2

VH-XXX
20th Jan 2011, 22:46
I recently watched a 206 meat-bomb pilot "wedge" his way in between two aircraft that were parked at the bowser when he could have easily pulled the aircraft straight in, with little effort. In wedging his way in he fully plastered one of the aircraft whilst the owner of said aircraft was in front of the 206 at high rpm initiating the "cut-engine" sign (arm/hand across throat). Upon completion of the act the pilot of the 206 got out and told the other aircraft owner that he should have moved his aircraft. The end result was a full-blown verbal assualt the likes of which I have not seen before. Had one of them not been the manager of the site, things would have ended differently.

Jack Ranga
21st Jan 2011, 00:07
Boys, push the offending plane out of the way and put your own wheel lock on it for an hour or so :cool:

ContactMeNow
21st Jan 2011, 00:13
Boys, push the offending plane out of the way and put your own wheel lock on it for an hour or so

Push their aircraft away and then let the tyres down, it needs to be in that order. Or else it gets very hard to push....:hmm:

185skywagon
21st Jan 2011, 01:29
Soldat,
Care to give me a date when that happened?
We generally don't allow that to happen here at Charleville.
We would only allow someone to leave their machine at the bowser if we knew no-one was coming.

ForkTailedDrKiller
21st Jan 2011, 01:42
Boys, push the offending plane out of the way and put your own wheel lock on it for an hour or so http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cool.gif
Push their aircraft away and then let the tyres down, it needs to be in that order. Or else it gets very hard to push....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Any unauthorised interference with my aeroplane will result in the appropriate authorities becoming involved.

I believe that it is an offence to interfere with an aircraft - and not something that should be encouraged here, regardless of how irritating the jerk flying it might be.

Dr :8

Sceva161
21st Jan 2011, 02:20
While on the subject of fuel bowsers:

How hard is it to guide the hose back into the reel with foot/hand to stop it all collecting on one side, so when the next poor bastard (me) comes along and tries to pull it out, it slips off the side, rendering bowser U/S until repairs can be done (3 days later)..?! Is this my fault?

I'm not old (I think), so I won't point at Gen Y, but it does seem that these days lots of people are not thinking some things through..!

I'm guilty of parking on bowsers to take a leak, and maybe load a pax, but not if I'm stopping another fellow pilot from his departure times...!!!

leg man
21st Jan 2011, 02:35
We are all lucky that coast watch dont fly islanders anymore.
These ignorant pricks would pull up a mile from the bowser blocking the taxi way, refuel ,wash the aircraft, go into the refueler office to have a chat and then take 15 minutes to start the hot engines.
If they refueled before the days operation, refuel,read maps on the nose, get a coffee while watching the line of aircraft with engines running waiting to get fuel.

Jack Ranga
21st Jan 2011, 03:49
Boys, push the offending plane out of the way and put your own wheel lock on it for an hour or so

Mate, the plane was left clearly unattended, I had fears that it was stolen and secured the aircraft until the appropriate authorities could deal with it. :E

Continental-520
21st Jan 2011, 03:57
No offence to you gen Y folk, but the way some have their brains wired, they just don't seem to notice when they're really inconveniencing and pissing off us grissly old wrinklies... Its not that they don't care, they just don't have the capacity to sense it.... they are almost always very polite and apologetic when these things are gently brought to their attention. You cant blame the poor darlings, they cannot helpi it

I agree with most of that statement, however I would put it down more to inexperience than a Gen Y attribute. Reason I say this, is because I have found there to be just as much 'inconsideration' or 'poor airmanship' (whatever you want to call it) from older, grumpier pilots that are in some cases less experienced as I have from the typical/stereotype Gen Y sort.

Traffic seperation OCTA is a good one - I've been given the impression at times that because some pilots are older they automatically assume that they are superior and therefore don't need to tell me where they are before I blast off and end up seeing them far too close to me and trying to get a word on in on the radio in between the TCAS going ape $hit!

But yes, Gen Y or not, being a bowser hog is blatantly inconsiderate.

Sceva161
21st Jan 2011, 05:35
C-520:
Maybe they're so old they forgot where they were...?

Ooooh, harsh, sorry....!

Sunfish
21st Jan 2011, 16:53
Even a low time PPL like me knows that you don't leave your aircraft in front of the bowser.

I have a slightly different issue. I can't stand people who don't HELP each other. If you are in a hurry to fuel, then why not give the guy in front of you a hand with the hose and pushing the aircraft? Don't just sit there watching while he rolls the hose all the way up and struggles to get the aircraft out of the way!

It's the golden rule, someday when you are old and wrinkly, maybe they will give you a hand...

mcgrath50
21st Jan 2011, 22:41
Actually Sunfish I have some good news helping stories,

The first time I went away solo with a mate we were scratching our head trying to pull the hose out (it was really stiff). A guy who had parked and was heading out noticed our difficulty, wandered over and moved the little lever that moves it from reverse to forward :rolleyes: no problems after that!

Another time at Mildura we had a 'window lock failure' in our 172 and the airport car guy (do they have an official title?) came over and gave us a hand, fetching duct tape etc.

The world of the GA brotherhood is still there.

On the other hand we reckon the failure was caused by 2 R44s taxiing and landing very close to the aircraft, the rotor wash was so strong it yawed the aircraft almost 20 degrees (we checked the photos we took when we landed and it was definitely a straight park at that time!)

TriMedGroup
22nd Jan 2011, 00:25
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd492/alistairfarnhill/photo.jpg?t=1295659216

Worrals in the wilds
22nd Jan 2011, 02:11
...airport car guy (do they have an official title?)

Airport Safety Officer or Airport Reporting Officer are the most commonly used. Safety Car is the generic term used on the radio.

I think it's important to remember that we're talking about a minority of insconsiderate jerks and most people in aviation are usually quite the opposite. That's my experience, anyway. :)

VH-XXX
22nd Jan 2011, 02:49
Trimed, I'd expect nothing less from a Retard Vehicle (RV) owner!

Jabawocky
22nd Jan 2011, 10:08
TriMed....why the F&#@ did you park behind the RV6 :=

J:E

Desert Flower
22nd Jan 2011, 10:30
I knew a guy who used to jump up & down & carry on a treat if someone else was in front of the bowser when he wanted to get fuel, but once he was there he would take his sweet time moving no matter how many were lined up behind him!

DF.