PDA

View Full Version : Two balloons down in Port Phillip Bay?

WannaBeBiggles
19th Jan 2011, 21:20
Reports hot air balloon down on Port Phillip Bay | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/reports-hot-air-balloon-down-on-port-phillip-bay/story-e6frf7jo-1225991474000)

Any idea what happened?

The weather is nice and calm this morning.

Dangnammit
19th Jan 2011, 21:45
Almost a non event. Missed Albert Park then aimed for the beach, dropped it on the sand, dragged out to water, kept bouyant with basket just in water, people rescued, towed to shore.
Blast them thar rare nor-easters, Dangnammit!

Critical Reynolds No
19th Jan 2011, 21:52
Thought it odd they were over the CBD this morning and at different levels. Glad all ok.

Hot Air Ballooning is one facet of aviation I just can't get my head around. Any good books on the subject?

WannaBeBiggles
19th Jan 2011, 22:20
Saw the update in the Age.

One of the guys we work with was on an anniversary flight this morning, not sure if they were on it. Sure will make for an interesting story! :8

VH-XXX
19th Jan 2011, 23:33
I'll never forget the footage of a hot air balloon years ago being swept miles off shore on it's side, stuck in a gale. Can't seem to find it on YouTube. After I saw that I vowed to never travel in a hot air balloon. That and after the one crashed in central OZ and killed 13 pax.

troppo
19th Jan 2011, 23:54
CRN please let me recommend Da Vinci, Newton and Einstein for a good read. Those blokes knew a bit. :p

Sunfish
20th Jan 2011, 00:11
I watched some of the action from Port Melbourne.

In a Northerly, the balloonists would have been trying for a landing ground along the linear parks that run almost all the way from Point Gellibrand to Altona.

Seems the wind went a little to far East too soon.

Last I saw was the water police, having disembarked the Pax, towing the still inflated balloon in shore for some sort of transfer to be attempted. Don't know if they made it and saved the all the gear.

Not sure that any of it would be reusable after it was dunked in salt water, except for the basket, although most of the cables and metalwork are stainless.

Then there is the problem of trying to get the envelope ashore untorn....good luck with that.

ReverseFlight
20th Jan 2011, 10:32
The ballonist said in a TV interview that he'd only needed to be rescued once before in his 26 years of ballooning.

Lightning never strikes twice, as the saying goes ? :\