PDA

View Full Version : New Governor of Guernsey

Pontius Navigator
19th Jan 2011, 17:06
Guernsey's next Lieutenant Governor is named

AM Walker was appointed by the island authorities and UK Government The Bailiwick of Guernsey's next Lieutenant Governor has been announced as Air Marshal Peter Walker CB, CBE.

The Queen has approved the appointment of her representative in the island and he is due to take up office from April 2011.
AM Walker served in the Royal Air Force for 32 years, including several tours as a front-line fighter pilot.

Since he left the service in 2007 he has been involved in voluntary work for Royal Air Force and civilian charities. AM Walker said he was "absolutely delighted" and "honoured" by his appointment He was educated at Pocklington School, Durham University

AM Walker flew both the Phantom FGR2 and Tornado F3 aircraft during his front-line tours. His final post was Director of the Joint Warfare Centre in Norway, responsible for training NATO HQ Staff for deployment to theatres such as Afghanistan and the Balkans.

On leaving he settled in North Devon with his wife Lynda, two adult sons and daughter. His recreational interests include fly fishing, sailing and golf, while Mrs Walker has a particular interest in special needs education.

AM Walker's charitable roles include president of the Aircrew Association and vice-president for life of the European Area of the Royal Air Forces Association.

He is due to take over from Vice Admiral Sir Fabian Malbon KBE, who was appointed in 2005.

The appointment was the first time the island's authorities were involved, as they worked alongside the UK Government.

Le Chemineau was the last airman to serve as Lt Governor.

Tankertrashnav
19th Jan 2011, 17:17
Jobs for the boys again, the country's full of retired brass supplementing their already decent pensions with nice little sinecures like this. I bet the good people of Guernsey are delighted.

Geehovah
19th Jan 2011, 17:18
Good to see my "Ex Stick" has made it big:D

Jayand
19th Jan 2011, 17:28
Sorry but my old mate fron School has just got a job with Everest windows but that ain't news!

Pontius Navigator
19th Jan 2011, 17:42
TTN, yes they will be. The previous PM but one tried to put a grey suit in to the job.

jindabyne
19th Jan 2011, 18:55
I was once put forward as the Governor, but those that did so were felt unworthy. Foldingwings etc

oldbaldeagle
19th Jan 2011, 19:01
A bit higherthan Guernsey though

Brian 48nav
19th Jan 2011, 21:16
I guess Sir Peter Le Cheminant is no longer. April 1969 as a 21 year old pilot officer I was selected from a cast of 21 skiving navs to fly with the staish who was showing SASO FEAF what the Herc was all about - day and night famil. I thought his approaches were very low and 30 years later when I read his memoirs realised why! He was an ex-Sunderland man. Amazing how when you are so young anyone over 40 seems so old - I guessed AVM Le Cheminant was about 70 ,but I later found he was only 47,just a mere boy too!

Do they still insist the most junior nav flies the risky old boys?

Brian 48nav
19th Jan 2011, 21:21
Slight drift,but thinking about it,young captain on the squadron John Cheshire didn't do too bad,ACM then Gov Gen of Jersey.

A first class bloke,still John and Sam to all their old Herc mates! He even let me try and pole the beast.

Union Jack
19th Jan 2011, 21:37
I guess Sir Peter Le Cheminant is no longer

No longer Lieut Governor and CinC Guernsey certainly but still with us and aged 90, and still living on the island so far as I am aware.:ok:

Jack