PDA

View Full Version : Airline Employment

Tosh McCaber
25th Jan 2002, 23:28
What’s your opinion on the seniority system within the airlines? In just about any other industry, a job will be advertised according to a person’s skills. People are thereafter let go, or kept with the firm, according to their value to the firm.

In the airline industry, it’s usually a case of last person in becomes junior to those with more service with the airline, no matter what the discrepancy may be in their individual skills. Is this system fair?

christian_MD80
25th Jan 2002, 23:43
Yes

Hold at Saffa
25th Jan 2002, 23:46
NO!. .It's union entrenched garbage that ensures snouts that would be unemployable elsewhere remain burried in their respective troughs.

I hold the view that its high time seniority was abolished completely from the airline industry. Whats wrong with using performance as the prerequisite for advancement?

[ 25 January 2002: Message edited by: Hold at Saffa ]</p>

hvassk
25th Jan 2002, 23:54
How would propose to measure performance of airline pilot? The majority of pilots do their job and keep their noses clean. Most have never spoken to the Chief Pilot and are just "another number." Seniority is the only way to justify layoffs. What's next, would you base compensation on performance also?

Hold at Saffa
26th Jan 2002, 00:20
The same way every other business on earth does it, by using things that are objectively measureable. Safety, economy, punctuality, appearance, bearing, demeanour, affability toward fellow employees, the list is long and dull, but equitable.. . [quote]What's next, would you base compensation on performance also? <hr></blockquote>. .Yes, I would!

[ 25 January 2002: Message edited by: Hold at Saffa ]</p>

maxalt
26th Jan 2002, 00:47
[quote]appearance, bearing, demeanour<hr></blockquote>

Appearance...a nice white boy with clean shoes.

Bearing......Knows how to bend over, and does so without needing to be asked.

Demeanour....Suitably grovelling to me and the rest of management.

Yawwnnn...we've had this out already and it was binned as unworkable.

Next please.

bigmac
26th Jan 2002, 16:21
Are commands allocated purely on seniority?

Grandad Flyer
26th Jan 2002, 17:00
In most companies it is a mixture of things. There is usually a minimum number of hours required, which can be TT, on type, etc. then there is usually some kind of assessment system. Then you go onto a list, usually in seniority order. So if you have low hours and newer pilots have high total hours you may get leapfrogged. I think its only the big carriers like BA who stop this.

411A
27th Jan 2002, 07:53
Hold at Saffa has precisely the right idea (using common sense), IMHO.. .In saying this....will not be popular...but am used to this.