PDA

View Full Version : Sennheiser Headsets

ZKSUJ
19th Jan 2011, 08:13
Hi Guys

I'm currently working in GA and am in need of a new headset. Just looking at a few models and I'm interested in a couple of the Sennheiser Headsets, in particular the HME 95 and the HMEC 250 models. They look comfortable, reliable and are also affordable.

Would anyone on here have any experience with these headsets? And if so could you let me know what they are actually like (Good and Bad).
Would like to make a more informed decision before spending the cash

Thanks

ZKSUJ

Fred Gassit
19th Jan 2011, 09:52
Our company aircraft came with these headsets.

We got rid of them in the end, not very reliable or comfortable, even the audio quality seemed to be sub-par.

Comfort is subjective of course but there was a general consensus that we could find better.

We now have DC's which are old, but very robust and comfortable enough. I personally had an H10.13.4 which lasted 10 years (and is still going)

Some of the guys have Bose headsets which seem to be very popular.

AVIATOR1982
19th Jan 2011, 21:18
I have experience with both;

HMEC 250

Pro's

Lightweight (around half the weight of the horrific DC 13.4)
comfortable (again this varies in opinion though)
ANR does a fair job (its not as quiet as a ZULU/BOSE though)
Folds flat to almost nothing so does not take up much space in the bag
Best value ANR headset around at the moment (prices go from AU$ 599) being from NZ you would pay 10% less (no GST)
No issues with reliability (I have had two sets in the cockpit for 4 years with no problems)
2 x AAA batteries last forever (35-40 hours use)

Cons

Not as robust as the standard style headsets (they need looking after)
Batteries are inserted in the ear cups, instead of in the audio control unit which is odd as they are rather hard to change mid flight with the headset on. (it can be done though, I find myself checking the batteries before every sector)
Passive noise reduction is not brilliant, you really need the ANR on to get the performance (why you would have it off I am not sure).

HME95

Budget version of the 250 without ANR, would make a great starter headset but not suitable in anything really noisy, fine for your average piston single, you wouldn't want it in a turbine though. Perfect as a good looking passenger headset that does not cost the earth.

If you really want the best and quietest you need to look at the ZULU / BOSE A20, these come with higher price tags, but are worth every single cent.

What ever you do, do not buy the DC X11, they are awfull.