PDA

View Full Version : Please help with some clarification on FI Restriction

stupix
18th Jan 2011, 00:08
I am hoping by the end of the year to have achieved passing the Flight Instructor Rating (restricted) and I am unsure of the qualifying aspects of the restriction being lifted, below is what i have found:

"When issued with an FI (R) or AFI rating the candidate has certain privileges and restrictions applied to the rating. In order to remove the restrictions from the FI (R) or AFI rating the candidate is required to compete the following items:
(a) Complete at least 100 hours flight instruction
(b) Supervise at least 25 student solo flights
(c) Recommendation from the supervising FI
(d) Complete Instructor Form 2 (SRG1133[/I][/I])"

My question relates to the solo supervision aspect, does the restricted instructor have to supervise 25 "first solos" or could it be 25 solo flights whether its first time solo or 2nd,3rd or 4th etc even by the same student ?

stu

Whopity
18th Jan 2011, 08:54
No, the FI Restricted may NOT authorise First solos; that is the whole point of the restriction. JAR-FCL 1.325excluding approval of first solo flights by day or by night and first solo navigation flights by day or by nightIn the UK a navigation flight is defined as one that goes more that 3nm from the aerodrome so effectively means the first solo out of circuit.
The purpose of the restriction is to enable a newly trained FI to gain the experience necessary to judge when it is safe to send a student on their first solo flight.

stupix
19th Jan 2011, 13:55
thanks Whopity,
appreciate that

FormationFlyer
24th Jan 2011, 13:05
Note that the hours requirement was reduced IIRC to 50 hours. There is an ORS about it.

blagger
25th Jan 2011, 13:00
The ORS was about hours over the 3 years for FI reval, not anything to do with lifting the Restriction.

FormationFlyer
31st Jan 2011, 17:01
Ive checked the ORS - I stand corrected. It has remained at 100 hrs. Damn that memory! :confused: