PDA

View Full Version : 'Silent' holiday jet sparks alert

gashman
17th Jan 2011, 22:05
From the BBC news website.

With the cost of a typhoon flying hour being close to a squillion pounds, I wonder if it is time we started charging airlines for a Q launch when their pilots miss their radio check-in? That should cut down on the false alarms a bit.

TurbineTooHot
17th Jan 2011, 22:33
In these times of financial hardship, Gashman, I think it's only good and proper to recoup ones losses due to private company failure.

Buggers would think twice about filing a claim against the MOD.

occhips
17th Jan 2011, 22:33
What would have they done when they got there, waved at them??:sad: It's taken a day to publish the story... cant be that important!:ugh:

tartare
17th Jan 2011, 22:50
What is the cost of a flying hour - out of curiosity?
(Excluding pilot's bar tab).

Rengineer
18th Jan 2011, 07:33
tartare, expect to get four or five wildly different figures, depending on what is included (extremes: Just the cost of flying another hour, or the number of hours flown so far, divided by the total program cost including development and weapons). It's been discussed ad nauseam and mostly without a clue on the key publishing forum. :ugh:

A and C
18th Jan 2011, 18:16
The cost of an hours flying is anything that a beancounter wants it to be.

411A
19th Jan 2011, 02:49
With the cost of a typhoon flying hour being close to a squillion pounds...
Then the typhoon should have stayed firmly in its hangar, and the pilot belly up to the officers club bar.

Whenurhappy
19th Jan 2011, 06:09
And risk another 9/11? After all, the USAF and ANG did your country proud that day....

Out Of Trim
19th Jan 2011, 16:13
By occhips

What would have they done when they got there, waved at them??http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif It's taken a day to publish the story... cant be that important!:ugh:

A little naive aren't you? If the airliner intercepted is not found to be operating normally and hijacked by terrorists then guess what's coming next!

The UK government will authorise the aircraft to be shot down and regrettably that order will be carried out.

No waving is going to happen.. :ooh:

dctyke
19th Jan 2011, 16:52
OOT:

A little naive aren't you? If the airliner intercepted is not found to be operating normally and hijacked by terrorists then guess what's coming next!

The UK government will authorise the aircraft to be shot down and regrettably that order will be carried out.

No waving is going to happen.. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/icon25.gif

Naive? How different from 'normal' does a Heathrow bound ac have to fly, it's not easy in a very short time frame to determine 'terrorists' have taken over a suspicious ac..................... and as for getting that decision to shoot down a civilian airliner from a high ranking goverment minister. I wonder............

Canadian Break
19th Jan 2011, 16:59
It's all about putting the jigsaw together chap. Sharp end of the long spear and all that stuff!

SirToppamHat
19th Jan 2011, 17:39
Did the BMI pilots just not bother to check in? Somehow I doubt that very much.

Why do you doubt it very much? Try spending some time in a CRC or Area ATC ... it's not that rare an occurrence. I recall certain airlines being regular offenders. Naming no names, except to say you get what you pay for...

STH

Canadian Break
19th Jan 2011, 17:42
Toppers old chap, is that really you?

cheesedoff
19th Jan 2011, 18:48
The price per hour for an airborne Typhoon has just been estimated at approx £70,000 / Hr. Tornado / £35,000 Hr and the Harrier slightly above that. The reason cited as to why the Typhoon is so costly is because there are so few of them at the moment. As more builds arrive at their units, the price will obviously fall, by how much I have no idea.

70K-----Ouch!

SirToppamHat
19th Jan 2011, 19:19
Canadian Break

Check your PMs

STH

Rigga
19th Jan 2011, 20:46
Only the stupid aloof would even think of charging for what is actually a national security DUTY ordered by the Pres-er... Prime Minister.

This 'dreary' task is an undeniable part of the whole afgan war thing and at least one half of what sitting-on-5 mins-readiness jobs are to do.

How about the SAR boys charging for having to pick up FJ drivers who're blamed for getting themselves into their predicament?