PDA

View Full Version : Why do an IMC in the UK?

englishal
10th Jun 2001, 23:34
Why would anyone do an IMC rating in the UK? It costs about 2 grand to do (+ approach fees, landing fees etc), only 15 hours instrument time (for the 2K), only valid in the UK, and you still can't fly 'proper' IFR? .... sounds like it gives you enough knowledge to get into trouble, but not enough to get out of it again!

For nearly the same cost you can do a full FAA IR, get more hours instrument time (40 hrs instrument training), allowed to fly IFR in US and in an N reg plane, have a ICAO recognized IR which is probably 'exchangeable' in many other ICAO countries.... EXCEPT JAR....and the nice people at the CAA give you an IMC rating for free !....oh yea, you can also do as many approaches and landings you want, for free...

The only 'down side' I can see is that you need a couple of weeks off work, and need to pay for a return flight and accommodation in the US, and have 50hrs X/C (over 50nm) before you take the skill test. You can even sit the ground exams here in the UK before you go.... 3-day course.

Pielander
11th Jun 2001, 03:24
englishal

You've obviously looked into this. How do you reckon it would cost to do what you said from the starting point of a UK PPL with no night experience? (Realistically, incl. travel expenses etc.)

Cheers

Pie

twistedenginestarter
11th Jun 2001, 12:00
But then again you can get an IMC for 1200 plus air fares and accomodation if you do it in USA.

Presumable also the IR is more difficult than the IMC, as here?

englishal
11th Jun 2001, 16:13
Cheapest quote I got was $3300 for the IR, which included 41 hrs instrument training in a 172 and Sim. This was based on 2 doing the course at the same time through a private instructor in Long Beach. You can get the IR at one of the schools out there for around $4000 including all exams, flight tests etc. On top of this you need a return flight to LA at £250 plus hotel accomodation at $38 per night. The length of time to do this course depends on the student, it is possible to complete in a week if you have done the studying prior to arriving in California, and if you're willing to do 10 hr days...but I would allow at least 2 weeks myself. Grand total: £2400 ($4000) + £250 + £320 (hotel) = £2970ish.

It is true you can do the IMC rating in the states a lot cheaper, though with the IR you can then fly IFR in the US and in an N reg plane world wide, as well as IMC on a JAR licence. To maintain the FAA IR you only need to complete a bi-annual flight test, which is a good excuse for a holiday to the US (or one of the FAA examiners in the UK). If you don't have a NR, you can do some of the flying at night and get signed off at one of the JAA registered schools if you want the JAA NR. Long Beach has a number of good schools, all with links to a JAA examiner. I would recommend Rainbow Air in LGB (www.rainbowair.com), I have flown with them before, they have good A/C, good bunch of people and don't rip you off.

Ham Phisted
11th Jun 2001, 17:05
To maintain FAA IR currency you must also do 6 approaches, holds and nav by instruments every 6 months.

Julian
12th Jun 2001, 11:18
I am just studying for the FAA IR, Jeppesen IR/Commercial Manual states that :

"Within the preceeding 6 calender months you must have intercepted and tracked courses throught the use of navigational systems, performed holding procedures, and flown at least 6 instrument approaches. these instrument procedures must be accoplished under actual or simulated instrument conditions in flight, in a flgiht simujlator or a flight training device"

Basically if you dont do the 6 with 6 months you are no longer Instrument current, you then have a further 6 months to meet the requiremnts or you have to take an instrument proficiency check.

Its worth knowing that the approachs can be done in a sim - bit cheaper! :)

------------------
Live fast..die young...leave a good looking corpse!