PDA

View Full Version : Off airfield/runway ops

Ultralights
17th Jan 2011, 20:04
just finished watching the flying wild alaska, interesting,

but watching the 207 well almost scud running back to deadhorse, it got me to thinking of the legalities of landing on a dirt road, paddock, hilltop etc in rural australia if weather closes in, obviously its a prec search and landing, but if the weather clears again, and the road/paddock whatever is long enough , clear of obstacles etc, can you legally depart and continue your journey?

so basically, flying along, 500ft, agl, cloud to 1000 base and lowering, can you legally find a nice suitable landing area, land, wait out the weather/storm/whatever, take off then continue your flight a few hrs later? \what ramifications arise from doing such a thing?

Jabawocky
17th Jan 2011, 21:31
You have just the machine. Try it out and report back with video please :}

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th Jan 2011, 21:52
Like so many things in this world, it is only "illegal" if (a) you get caught, or (b) something happens - which generally leads to (a).

It used to be spelled out in the VFG as to what constitutes an ALA - I assume that it is still - somewhere!

The stumbling block has always been - "You have the permission of the owner"!

As the statue of limitations has run out on my past adventures, I can admit to having landed on many paddocks and roads.

Dr :8

VH-XXX
17th Jan 2011, 21:56
No dramas in stress of weather, particularly under RAA. It happens all the time. Just make sure you are polite to the farmer when he tries to shoot you for trespassing. It is usually quite a thrill for the locals when a plane unexpectedly lands on their property and they will bend over backwards to help you. Landing on a road is a different story and depending on who sees you, might result in some paperwork, but I cant see you getting in any trouble if weather forced you there. Usually the local copper goes into crisis help mode and blocks off the road for 2 km to see that you depart safely. Watch out for power lines.

mcgrath50
17th Jan 2011, 22:32
Better to land in a field or road than fall into the IFR by VFR pilot pitfalls (in fairness better to not be in the situation in the first place). I would imagine quite where you land depends on the amount of paperwork you have to do.

asw28-866
17th Jan 2011, 22:44
Do it all the time in gliders!

Jabawocky
17th Jan 2011, 23:12
Do it all the time in gliders!

Yep that's right! Into IMC ..........

Naughty gliders := (maybe not you asw228-866)

J

asw28-866
18th Jan 2011, 01:02
Now now Jabba, I was referring to the 'off field' landing bit, not the being in white fluffy stuff, I only do that when I'm being paid for it. Though interestingly in the UK where I cut my aviation teeth it is perfectly legal to cloud climb octa.

'866

propblast
18th Jan 2011, 11:57
Just make sure you are polite to the farmer when he tries to shoot you for trespassing.

VH-XXX, fair point.

But the chances of getting shot are dramatically reduced if said pilot doesn't
a) land in the farmers soon to be harvested crop (in a period of drought when pasture is scarce),
b) drive the club 4wd onto property without permission, leaving gates open and the into same soon to be harvested crop
c) not drive on the same tracks they drove in on, thus minimising crop damage, and finally,
d) when confronted by the farmer as to why they didn't land 100m north in the just harvested paddock(that was actually a better choice, bigger, smoother, less obstacles), ask permission, or drive on same track tell the landowner to ":mad: off, I can do whatever I need to do to retrieve my glider".

propblast
18th Jan 2011, 12:16
In response to the OP, I'm not sure I would like to explain why I landed on a road. Unless it was my last resort ie, engine failure, due stress of weather.

The paddock however is a different kettle of fish and could quite possibly boil down to the farmers feelings (difficult to gauge, probably a 12 though). If it meets ala requirments and no damage is done, you should be able to talk your way out of it, after all, not every runway out there is 3000m, bitumen with an ILS, and not every aircraft needs that.

Having said that, I think I would rather make the call earlier to stay on the ground, head to aeroclub bar and skoll a schooner, then state there is no possibilty of flying even if people say the weather has improved. See, there is a benefit to DAMP's.

Stuffed
1st May 2011, 06:53
VH_XXX - 'No dramas in stress of weather, particularly under RAA. It happens all the time. Just make sure you are polite to the farmer when he tries to shoot you for trespassing. It is usually quite a thrill for the locals when a plane unexpectedly lands on their property and they will bend over backwards to help you. Landing on a road is a different story and depending on who sees you, might result in some paperwork, but I cant see you getting in any trouble if weather forced you there. Usually the local copper goes into crisis help mode and blocks off the road for 2 km to see that you depart safely. Watch out for power lines'.

Did it up in the NT on the Stuart hwy when I was given some very bad telephone advice about the state of the runway at the rear of a roadhouse by an employee. I was basically asked why I did it and they accepted it at face value.

The location I choose gave me a clear line of sight for several kilometers in both directions that was clear of obstructions. I was made to wait by the locals plod till dawn where they blocked the road for about a k..

Lessons learned:

- Telephone advice means nothing..
- A Jabiru 160 will fit between the roadsigns at Erldunda with 45cm of clearance from each wing.
- Be prepared to pay a beer tax to the local policeman at the end of the day.
- Never do it in peak tourist season.. Just How many busloads of japanese tourists can find it interesting when you fill the plane up at the PULP pump.

Above all the SIX P's.. Always try and find a better alternative in the preflight planning.

http://www.pprune.org/My Pictures\Picasa Exports\Wiring photos\Flying trip photos\07-07-08_0735.jpg