PDA

View Full Version : Worst type to type...

311kph
17th Jan 2011, 17:09
Hi all!!! Great to be here!

So, worst type to type conversion/s from your personal experience?!

I knew it wouldn't be nice, but this is ridiculous!
Come to think of it, i couldn't found two more diferent machines then these two if I wanted to. Whell, maybe that DaVinchi's spiral thing...
Don't mean to disrespect, but this is just... just... JetRanger?!
And now I'm trying to "drive" this new to me "vehicle". On my first flight, I've tought there's something wrong with controls.
It wouldn't react. Not the way it's suposed to.
Watch for throttle, watch for power, watch for RRPM, watch for TQ, this machine is so underpowered it hurts.
How can this past certification of any kind?!
This is not what choper flying should be, this is IFR flying!!!
I don't want to look inside so much, and I don't want to see everything is almost on its limits!
If this is helicopter, what's the thing I've been flying all these years?
The previous one was not miles apart from me.
She was just there so I could move trough air. I've never tought what and how I'm doing something, NOR COULD IT EVEN BE DONE!
I've had my flying suite and that was it.
I've had my 900 HP instant space moving body extension kit.
My Gazelle.

And boy am I gonna enjoy flying her after this.

So, ever felt like I am now?
What was as bad for you?
Piston to turbine?
Single to twin?
Clockwise to counterclockwise?
Pretty to ugly?

EthanW
17th Jan 2011, 17:43
Have you been sipping on the yak?;)

Ascend Charlie
17th Jan 2011, 19:30
Biggest shock?
Stepping into an R22 after 7000 hrs turbines. Eeewwwww....
But after the shock of wrestling with the flimsy little critter, saw that it does a pretty good job.

Worst aircraft flown?
Without doubt, the Enstrom. Shake, rattle, refuse to start when hot, can't even hold height if the turbocharger develops a problem - the piston engine by itself doesn't have any guts unless the turbo is up to speed. Yuck.:yuk:

FSXPilot
17th Jan 2011, 20:20
You've obviously not flown a decent Enstrom as you are talking arse.

OvertHawk
17th Jan 2011, 21:23
Longranger to Single Squirrel ... Yeugh!

whatsarunway
17th Jan 2011, 22:31
Theyre making decent enstroms now?? when did this happen? and i wont hear a bad word about the single squirrel . . . . fantabulious machine!

Type to Type. . . S76 to a 500d with 18000 hrs logging under its belt , not much TLC, 5 blades from 5 different machines and en engine from a lawnmower, i hear they do make decent 500s though, just not been lucky enough to have a go.

ReverseFlight
18th Jan 2011, 10:29
From R22 to R44 - surprising ? Comparatively, switching to S300s and EC120s was a breeze.

Don't believe what the manufacturer says. The weight and balance and attitude are all different. The worst is the position of the 44's cyclic - can't match the sweet, nimble one in the 22.

Agaricus bisporus
18th Jan 2011, 10:44
It would be helpful if we knew what he has converted onto as he doesn't say. I gather from the rather garbled message that he was converting from a Gazelle, or am I reading too much into it? Not much compares to that, I'm afraid. Try going from Gazelle to SeaKing, thats a nasty shock I can tell you. Or Chinook to S61 which is like a time warp, though the '61 is a terrific machine.

FSX. Right on! There never was a helicopter like the Enstrom for people who know nothing about it to slag it off. Never heard it slagged by anyone who knew it though (except engineers).

206 jock
18th Jan 2011, 12:05
I'm struggling a bit: I think the OP is slagging off a JetRanger, but it's a bit difficult to tell.

'You have to watch the RRPM....you have to watch the power'

Really? Was he flying an A model with 4 fatties on board somewhere hot and high? I've only ever been limited by TQ in he UK, but I bask in the warm fuzzy feeling that I'm only using 26GPH rather than the 40 that a 'zelle swallows

Come to think of it, did he ask his 3 rear fatty passengers? I'm only 5'8" of average build and last time I went in the back of a Gazelle it nearly did my back in for life!

OvertHawk
18th Jan 2011, 13:36
whatsarunway... was commenting only on the conversion - not the machine in general.

the conversion from Long-box to Squirrel was a horrible shock to the system - hated it for the first 6 or 7 hours then got on ok with it. Agree that the 350 is a great machine (although a bugger without the Hyd's and not so nice engine off as the 206 / 206L).

OH

311kph
18th Jan 2011, 15:39
I thought it was clear, but maybe I've lost it a bit on previous post...
It's from Gazelle to 206B.
I've just started, got few flights, ... so I'll guess I'll come around, but these few days were... shock to the system!!
It;s not the machine itself, it's just that it looks like I have to change entire perception of flying. I feel... helpless, vulnerable..

Push to talk ICS is driving me insane, I decided to ignore it and just yell!!!
Oh, and man, does it stink inside!!! Is it from those seats,..?
I have to bring some air refresheners inside on my next flight.

OvertHawk
18th Jan 2011, 16:48
Sounds like you're flying a dog - May not be the type - just the example. I've never flown one that did not have a "hot mike" facility, and if one stank - i'd find out why and have it cleaned.

If you test drove a second hand dirty smelly Jaguar with broken electric windows, would you tell everyone that Jaguars were dirty and smelly and that the windows were rubbish - don't think so.

Give the Jet-box a chance and you'll grow to love her. She's not a Gazelle (and don't forget it or it will kill you), but treat her nicely and she's great! If you're not happy with the one you're flying - find another.

Best of luck!
OH

Bertie Thruster
18th Jan 2011, 20:33
Worst, as in hardest; Bell 47 to Gazelle.(I couldn't even hover it)

Most impressed, as in increased capability; Wessex to Seaking.

Least prepared, as in conversion time, (8 hr sim+4 hr dual); Seaking to Chinook.

Best (by far!), as in feeling of infatuation; AS 355 to MD 902.

Agaricus bisporus
19th Jan 2011, 22:11
Clearly something very very wrong with your 206 if you're power limited & watching RPM and torque on a conversion, and how does "throttle" come into flying it? It has an FCU for that...watching RPM though, regardless of torque? Why? Dud FCU?
I'd change aircraft and perhaps instructor too.

Bertie, I went from Bell 47 to Chinook! That was a blast!

But Enstrom A model to Hughes 500 some time later was the best.

Camp Freddie
19th Jan 2011, 22:33
Not done a conversion but have flown them.

Worst - brantly, cyclic felt horrible and the whole experience was sh*te

Suprising - wasp, alarming rate of descent in auto, plus you could see the fuel gauge moving

flighttest-engineer
20th Jan 2011, 05:16
My biggest thrill was Bell 47 to MBB Bo-105

Sir Niall Dementia
20th Jan 2011, 07:31
Hardest: H269 to S61N (Total rotary time 101 hr 05min)

Worst: S61N to AS332L (More toys, a bit more speed, a lot less comort and far longer sectors)

Easiest: As355 to EC135 (Huge fun helicopter with an instructor who made the ground school intesting and the flying a constant challenge)

cyclic
20th Jan 2011, 09:27
BO105 to AS332L2 - too much information!

Non-PC Plod
20th Jan 2011, 12:27
Worst to teach-
R22 to A109LUH!
Basic single-engine piston, analogue instruments, single pilot to ....
Twin engine, multi-crew glass cockpit, 4 axis autopilot FMS.

(For pilots with about 200 hours experience.)

Surprise,surprise, it was a bit too steep as a learning curve!

griffothefog
20th Jan 2011, 14:23
Hiller 12E to S76A....... interesting!

krypton_john
20th Jan 2011, 18:21
NonPC Plod - how about the good old RNZAF - about to retire their B47s and start ab-initio rotary wing training on A109LUH!

Phoinix
20th Jan 2011, 20:07
EC135 to B212/412 :yuk:

You have to wait for the old lady and beg her to do something... so many dials, at first everything was a backup instrument or a watch, well its no different now.

I was told it's a powerful helicopter... but at MGW it's just like a jetranger.:*

Hughes500
20th Jan 2011, 20:15
Years ago a 341 to an R22A - what do you mean we can only put 10 gals of fuel in it, why do I need to use the other foot, why is the collective under my armpit and we are not going up, you call that a cylic !:ugh:

Floppy Link
20th Jan 2011, 20:32
Haha Me too!

EC135 to R22 - hover taxiing downwind on a hot day was *ahem* "interesting" :eek:

902Jon
21st Jan 2011, 13:26
SK76B to SK76A+

11700lbs no problem at any temp

10800lbs - couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding

Non-PC Plod
21st Jan 2011, 19:26
Krypton John,

The RNZAF fellas I taught were flying it better than me after about trip 2, so I dont think they will have any snags!! (wondering if you are one of them?)