PDA

View Full Version : Car Transport

hurly_000
17th Jan 2011, 05:03
Gday all
Need to get my HJ ute from Victoria to Jabiru, NT
Whats the easiest/quickest/cheapest way??
Cheers

apache
17th Jan 2011, 05:07
lots of stamps, and post it?

i would suggest that EASIEST and QUICKEST would be to drive it yerself.

The Guru
17th Jan 2011, 07:22
There is no question, but do the drive northbound!

The cost of freight to Darwin and the NT (northbound) is generally three times more expensive through the car carrying companies, than when the same freight is returned (southbound).

I've done the drive several times in both directions, have also flown, and used the car carriers - if you need to be there quickly then fly up, come back for the car in a few weeks and if you do it with a buddy and share the drive it can be a fun trip!:ok:

Given the current 2011 flooding - would even consider doing the inland track up through Alice Springs and Three Ways rather than going coastal.

AussieNick
17th Jan 2011, 07:40
as a resident of the NT, definatly drive it up here.

1) cheaper to camp it and pay for the fuel than pay for a car carrier
2) better chance of it getting up here in one peice
3) its a drive you have got to do once in you life, great scenery and fun. Just don't fal asleep on the 1 hour straight stretches of road

Blueskymine
17th Jan 2011, 07:47
This time of year, chances are you'll get caught somewhere by flooding. The wet season has been in full swing of late and I wouldn't be surprised if the usual suspects start to flood.

I'd drive to Adelaide and whack it along with you on the train. Lets also not beat around the bush, chances are you'll be on the side of the road every few hundred kays tinkering with a HJ (both cruiser or holden).

OpsNormal
17th Jan 2011, 10:17
I'd suggest popping it on the train with you. Many years ago when I was in Kunners, my father brought my HJ V8 ute up for me on the Indian Pacific from Sydney and then on the Ghan to Alice (as far as it went back then). He then drove it the rest of the way via Katherine. In all honesty it actually worked out cheaper (and better all around) to do this (Gold Kangaroo service single cabin and for an extra $50 on top of the ticket the ute was taken on the drive on vehicle carriage) than the cost of fuel alone from Sydney back when fuel was less than $1/ltr. The other winner is that you get to sit and watch the scenery with beer in hand in the aircon letting someone else worry about getting you there and what you're having for dinner.....:E

BSM, you seem to make the incorrect assumption (that many people do) that people who choose to own old vehicles choose not to keep them reliable. Apart from that, good advice.:ok:

Peter Fanelli
17th Jan 2011, 10:22
Stick it on floats and put an outboard on the back.

compressor stall
17th Jan 2011, 10:50
chances are you'll be on the side of the road every few hundred kays tinkering with a HJ

Doubt it. My HJ60 is nearing 500K and in the last 9 years and 120k all over WA and Vic/NSW it's let me down once when a branch ripped out part of my brake line in the bottom of the Wonnongatta... Hardly the HJ's fault.

Great machines, I'll be sad to see her go next month. :ooh:

But good advice, drive it up. Or get a mate to do it for you and pay the fuel, and he gets the fun. If I had the time I'd do it for you. I miss outback driving. This is as close as I get to it these days, driving back from work... :8

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu353/stallie001/outdoors/Screenshot2011-01-17at105331.jpg