PDA

View Full Version : Career Change to Helicopter Pilot

DannyGrantp826
17th Jan 2011, 02:48
I woke up today and decided I need a career change. I randomly chose this out of my head.

How hard is it to become a Helicopter pilot and actually find work to pay the bills? Do I need to join a law enforcement agency? Military? Any websites I could look at?

Any info is appreciated because I litteraly know nothing of the subject.

Epiphany
17th Jan 2011, 03:06
Sounds to me as if you are ready to go without any of that training malarky my friend. You have chosen wisely and will go far.

Arm out the window
17th Jan 2011, 04:19
Good looks, high IQ and massive genitalia are a prerequisite (the last not necessary if you're female).

blave
17th Jan 2011, 04:39
I used to dream about flying helis for a living... Until I came to my senses.

Note that I learned to fly "later in life" and now I wish I'd started earlier (I'm 51 and have been flying for about ten years).

Here's the deal: no matter how old/young you are, and AFTER you've spent twenty or thirty grand on getting your private/commercial/maybe (preferably) instrument ratings in helicopters - do plan on making "barely getting by" wages (if that) as a flight instructor to build time for a few years - you'll need between 500 hours and (more likely) 1000 hours of logged Pilot In Command time to do anything else. Some areas (e.g. medivac) typically require more.

I got as creative as I could for a few years, trying to build time "on the cheap". At least in my area it's very difficult to not pay $200 or $300 or more per flight hour to build time.

In other words - it's all about your logged flight time - enthusiasm and determination won't get you past the front door of a potential employer unless you either have the hours or get struck by a really big Lucky Stick. I think this is due to insurance requirements, but it is the reality of trying to break into the biz.

I have the luxury of having another "career" that is less fulfilling than flying, and yet it more than pays the bills. So after about 7 years of having the dream, I finally gave it up.

My post is not intended to try to talk you out of your dream - but it will involve a lot of work and sacrifice on many levels.

Good luck to you!

Dave B.

Gordy
17th Jan 2011, 05:02
AFTER you've spent twenty or thirty grand on getting your private/commercial/maybe (preferably) instrument ratings in helicopters

Maybe 20 years ago-----nowdays this will only buy you the obligatory "big watch" and mandatory sunglasses.....

spinwing
17th Jan 2011, 08:16
Mmmm...

Danny .... might I suggest that you go back to bed ... back to sleep and tomorrow morning wake up wanting to do something else!

;)

firebird_uk
17th Jan 2011, 09:44
I woke up today and decided I need a career change. I randomly chose this out of my head.

I'm already a CPL(H) running my own aircraft. I hear the Space Shuttle is being decommissioned this year. Do you think NASA would do a trade in for my chopper?

How hard is it to become a Space Shuttle pilot and actually find work to pay the bills? Do I need to join NASA? Military? Any websites I could look at?

Any info is appreciated because I literally know nothing of the subject. I'm only 48 so I'd guess I've got a lot of years left in me.

TRTR
17th Jan 2011, 10:21
Don't do it! Spend the money on fixed wing instead - better money and better opportunities:ok:

S76Heavy
17th Jan 2011, 11:33
Nah, become an investment banker.

Then buy your own chopper with pilot..

hihover
17th Jan 2011, 12:09
I woke up one day and realised - I wanted to be Rod Stewart! I was attracted by the lifestyle, tax exile, the fancy cars, fantastic homes around the world, the beautiful women who adored him, as much Cognac as I could possibly imagine......that was the life for me.

Bugger me if the job wasn't already taken......bo&^ocks!

Tam

212man
17th Jan 2011, 12:32
Tam,
Thanks for making me laugh out loud! Did you consider a job as Tom Jones? Oh, no that job went already too.....

DOUBLE BOGEY
17th Jan 2011, 12:54
I WOKE UP THIS MORNING.....decided to be a lesbian. Alas I cannot eat carpet!!!

EN48
17th Jan 2011, 13:13

As others have suggested, go back to sleep, wake up and choose (randomly if you must) another career option - it will almost certainly pay better than being a pilot.

Nah, become an investment banker.
Then buy your own chopper with pilot..

Sound and sage advice. Also consider corporate CEO, hedge fund manager, venture capitalist, etc. as long as you are choosing at random.

I am well along in my career and have been moderately successful, largely because I DIDNT pursue a flying career. I am often asked for career advice by people early in their careers. I try to get across the point that there are many career choices that offer excitement, fulfillment, AND relatively high to very high compensation. Flying isnt one of these. Sort of like choosing a spouse - there are many, many more than one that you can be widly happy with. :ok:

DC3freightdog
17th Jan 2011, 14:11
Being a pilot, especially a helicopter pilot can be a lot of fun. But can every one who likes to be a pilot find employment? Many flight schools and aviation publications voice that there is a pilot shortage and with all the Vietnam area pilots retiring there is a need for commercial pilots. Lets look at the facts: For the USA we consult the FAA website. Data as of December 31. In 1999 we had a total of 261,903 ATP and Commercial pilots In 2008 we had a total of 271,584 ATP and Commercial pilots. Thats a plus of 9,681 pilots How about Flight Instructors? In 1999 we had a total of 79,694 CFI's in 2008 we had 93,202 CFI's Thats a plus of 13,508 flight instructors from 1999 to 2008 or 14,5%. With this steady rise in available pilots how can someone claim a shortage of pilots or flight instructors? Working as a pilot can be a lot of fun, but please do your homework and analyze the job marked before you leave a secure job. fly safe

heliski22
17th Jan 2011, 15:17
Sort of like choosing a spouse - there are many, many more than one that you can be widly happy with

A though to be uttered in very select company only.....:E

bolkow
17th Jan 2011, 15:18
I agree, seriously thought about going into flying choppers but discovered much to my shock and awe that I'd have to take a wage cut from my current job, which incidentally the tax payer funded me to train in to this this level because in this job I am practically recession proof and seen as indispensible (mental health). Thats what kinda stopped me, so I confine myself ton the large remote control aircraft nowadays.

Gordy
17th Jan 2011, 15:19
DC3

You spouted these numbers on "another" website too. What you are not taking into consideration is the amount of pilots with licenses who are no longer active, or who are ratings collectors out of work like yourself. Hence your numbers mean nothing.

DannyGrantp826
17th Jan 2011, 19:27
Thanks guys, I woke up today with a different idea: deep sea welding. On to a different forum. Cya.

fijdor
17th Jan 2011, 21:10
You may want to reconsider this "deep sea welder" thing, a guy can get wet doing that :ugh:

JD

newfieboy
17th Jan 2011, 23:19
I awoke this morning, thinking a career change definately.......Mmmm been home for 3 weeks, got home Xmas day. But I know the call is coming as a touring pilot seeing as we do 3/3 or as the last tour 3off 8 on......:D Was thinking a career that will see me home every night with Her In Doors.....got it McDonalds......oh hang on I just turned 50...DOH too old maybe. Oh well guess Im stuck with being a pilot....:yuk: and don;t knock deep sea divers, I dated an underwater welder in Montreal 15 yrs ago, she made more money than I could ever as an IFR ATP......go figure....:eek: made fun at bath time though......:D

ReverseFlight
18th Jan 2011, 10:23
Back to Danny of Houston who started this thread. Now the brutal reality - the helicopter market is a completely different one from just five years ago.

There are many experienced instructors in the US who are desperately trying to find any job just to continue to build time but there aren't any. To make matters worse, most operators are asking for a minimum of 100 hours in the last 12 months. You'd never see this requirement in good times - only the employed can find jobs now. The unemployed stay unemployed.

chopperchappie
18th Jan 2011, 21:35
I woke up and decided I wanted to travel the world, so after a lot of research I discovered if I joined the military they would take me all over the place, and all I had to do in return was (from time to time) get shot at.

Wouldn't you know it after a while they wanted to make me fly for a living.

All I wanted to do was travel, now I gotta drive myself !

Isn't it ironic.... If only I would have woken up wanting to be a pilot.

CC

Devil 49
19th Jan 2011, 17:15
I never saw any old divers working in the Gulf of Mexico- unless thirty-five counts as "old". They make good money the few years they work, but the long term prospect is less satisfactory

Lonewolf_50
19th Jan 2011, 17:32
Career Change to Helicopter Pilot

Gutsiest move I ever saw. :cool:

Danny, how old are you?

As noted above, helicopter pilot is a profession that may not be easy to enter, but then, many worthwhile professions aren't easy.

Engineer: over 50-100K in college costs, typically to earn a degree, and that's to enter as a newbie.
Doctor: double to triple the time and cost in education, then a three or four year residency ...
MBA/White Collar fast tracker: college, two years MBA, you are in 50-70K before you even get in the door.

Oh, and plenty of hard work.

If you don't mind hard work, I say

Have a go! Follow your dream. Get obsessed and stay obsessed, and remember:

A day without a practice autorotation is a day without sunshine.

ShyTorque
19th Jan 2011, 17:50
After 35 years in the business I've decided this aviation thing sucks. I'm now hoping to find a new career as a gigolo.

Any advice? Anyone know any desperate, rich women looking to hire a stick buddy?

Whirlygig
19th Jan 2011, 18:06
How desperate, and desperate for what? Plus I thought the whole idea of a igolo was a younger man and an older, rich woman .....

Cheers

Whirls (running for cover)

ShyTorque
19th Jan 2011, 18:10
I thought the whole idea of a igolo

Is that the eskimo equivalent? ;)

GGR
19th Jan 2011, 18:59
I Woke Up This Morning......tfft

Whirlygig
19th Jan 2011, 19:34
Is that the eskimo equivalent? Yeah, it's my now-sticky keyboard caused by the G&T I spluttered all over it :p

Cheers

Whirls

Bertie Thruster
19th Jan 2011, 20:07
...I thought it was a description of what a gigolo had to do!

ShyTorque
19th Jan 2011, 20:08
But surely, there have to be some despera-does older than me?

You know, ones with their own transport (free bus pass), eyesight not too good, etc.

Whirlygig
19th Jan 2011, 20:22
some despera-does older than meYes, deer ... I'm sure you could buck the trend.

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
19th Jan 2011, 21:22
No need to be rude... Olf.

Pandalet
20th Jan 2011, 09:43
I dunno...that sort of work, you might have to go out in the reindeer.