PDA

View Full Version : LHR-LGW Transfers

dufc
16th Jan 2011, 18:52
Hi,

We are flying via London to Tampa in June and are required to transfer between Heathrow & Gatwick as part of both the outbound and inbound travel.

We have circa 4 hours between flight arrival in London and departure from the other airport.

Any suggestions on the best way to get between the two airports? There are two adults travelling with possibly 3 suitcases between them.

Thanks

Jim

davidjohnson6
16th Jan 2011, 19:15
Gatwick Airport | Travel between airports (http://www.gatwickairport.com/transport/between-airports/)

BAA Heathrow: Getting to and from Heathrow | Transport and directions to Heathrow Airport, London (LHR) (http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/page/Heathrow%5EGeneral%5ETo+and+from+Heathrow%5ETravel+between+L ondon+airports/)

While 4 hours should be enough from landing at one airport, to leaving the ground at the other airport, you will need to ensure that you keep a careful eye on the time. If you have suitcases to collect, an hour's delay arriving into London may be a problem

occasional
16th Jan 2011, 19:51
Can anyone explain why that Gatwick link does not mention the Thameslink service ?

Trinity 09L
16th Jan 2011, 20:00
The Thames link rail service goes to Kings Cross and then you have to use the tube to Paddington then train again. With 4 hrs, then the coach may be a better option, radio links help with any M25 congestion.
As a local at LHR I can get a private hire car :E pre booked - for £50 (one way)to LGW divide by 2 etc may work out cheaper than public transport, and less hassle

davidjohnson6
16th Jan 2011, 20:04
occasional - assuming you are talking about transfers from Gatwick to Luton, could the omission possibly be because on most weekends and many weekday evenings for the next few months, the track between London Bridge and St Pancras is closed ?

renfrew
16th Jan 2011, 20:13
Which airlines are you travelling with and have you booked already?
The LHR/LGW transfer is a seriously bad idea.

Is it not possible to fly into LGW.
From GLA or EDI via EWR on Continental is also worth looking at.

occasional
16th Jan 2011, 21:11
I asked the question about Thameslink because

Scotland- Luton/Gatwick-Thameslink to Kings Cross-Picadilly line to LHR

used to be a relatively practical way of getting to LHR.

I see however that Thameslink Kings Cross appears to be closed so that this route may no longer be practicable.

With apologies to dufc for interrupting the thread !

wowzz
16th Jan 2011, 21:12
Let's say you need to check-in at LGW one hour before your flight leaves, that gives you three hours to get from LHR to LGW It could take you one hour to clear customs and get your luggage at LHR. That gives you two hours to get from LHR to LGW.
It very much depends on when your flight arrives at LHR. During rush hour-periods [which is virtually all day on the M25] I would say you have no chance. Personally I think your odds on making the connection are very slim - I would seriously look at other options out of LGW.

Skipness One Echo
16th Jan 2011, 21:44
Heathrow Express is 15 minutes to Paddington which is well under 30 from Victoria on the Tube and the Gatwick Express is every fiftteen minutes and does Victoria-Gatwick in a half hour.

On a good day.....

OR Train to GLA / EDI and BA or EZY direct to LGW, assuming you're starting in Scotland.

Hartington
16th Jan 2011, 22:50
Let's go back to basics for a moment.

Is this booking already made and is it one ticket per person or two? If it's one then IF you miss the connection the delivering carrier (whoever flew you to Heathrow on the way out) is responsible for finding you an alternative flight to Tampa. Similarly if you miss the flight back to Scotland the airline that flew you from Tampa to Gatwick is responsible for getting you home.

Fine words in theory but in practice getting anything other than the next available seat on the next available flight (which going to Tampa is next day) will require luck (the plane may already be full) and persistence (they can reroute you even on another airline; they don't want to). But you will get there and you wonlt be charged an extra fare.

If, on the other hand you're buying one ticket to get you down to London and a separate one for the flight to Tampa all bets are off. Each ticket is a separate contract. If you fail to check in on time the airline is under no obligation to you at all. You may need to buy a replacement ticket (almost certainly more expensive than the one you had) and if it's the London/Tampa flight you miss you'll need to buy a new return as well.

One a different subject Kings X Thameslink STATION has closed. It has been replaced by St Pancras International. Your route from Gatwick or Luton to Heathrow is therefore made easier by not having to schlep along the streets round Kings X.

HOWEVER. The route between St Pancras and London Bridge is being rebuilt and as a result the link between those 2 points is often severed at weekends. This means Luton to Heathrow is still feasible via St Pancras when the link is closed; Gatwick to Heathrow using Thameslink and changing at Kings X or Farringdon isn't. Check Nationalrail.co.uk for details.

Betty girl
17th Jan 2011, 17:30
The most frequent and quickest way is by coach. National Express have a very frequent service that picks up and drops off outside the terminals.

Your bags will go in the belly of the coach and it is fast, easy and convenient.

GROUNDHOG
17th Jan 2011, 17:46
Agree take the coach but I would not feel happy only having four hours. Very tight connection that, one delay and your not going to make it especially as stated before if its during the busy period on the M25.
Try to avoid it or come down a day earlier if poss. We usually fly up with Flybe from Cornwall and night stop at one of the hotels, there are some great deals and it takes all the stress away.

wowzz
17th Jan 2011, 20:42
I agree with Groundhog.
We are flying out of Gatwick next week and managed to get a room at the Ibis for only £29. The cost of the shuttle bus has to be added on [£3 per person each way] but it's a great deal, and saves wear and tear to your nerves!

Phalconphixer
18th Jan 2011, 03:14
Just a point but isn't the minimum check in period for transatlantic services out of LHR or LGW 2hrs..?

Given the general cattlemarket security treatment of all pax at either airport I'd say you are definitely pushing it..

pp

old fart
18th Jan 2011, 07:53
4 HOURS BLOCK ON TO BLOCK OFF IS NOT ENOUGH.
I do the transfer often.
If you have no bags you may stand a chance.
cheers

dufc
18th Jan 2011, 18:50
Thanks everyone.

This is a BA ticket ABZ-TPA but because of their route changes we have to travel ABZ-LHR then LGW-TPA (and back).

This is a BA Miles redemption and the only real option we had. I think that my starting the thread may have indicated my nervousness at the time available to get between airports.

Sounds like a taxi between the airports is our best bet.

Regards

Jim

Trinity 09L
18th Jan 2011, 20:25
DUFC
Do not get a regular London taxi :hmm:- pre book with a local company & get prices etc, they will collect you at Terminal 5 - by mobile (they wait outside LHR & drive in to collect). Good luck

wowzz
18th Jan 2011, 20:53
Good Luck - make sure you come back on the forum and tell us all if you made it.

faffod
18th Jan 2011, 23:35
We flew into LHR last Tuesday from LAX. We arrived at ten a.m. and took the National coach to GTW for our Flight to Spain. The coach took just under an hour from one terminal to the other. Barring ice, snow or accident, I think the coach is the best option.

Joao da Silva
19th Jan 2011, 05:09
I have done this transfer several times, on the coach and the average time is about 1 hour for the coach if going terminal to terminal. (But perhaps 15 mins more if the coach goes to T5, then to the central bus depot.)

But (and a very big but) this was at the weekend, when the M25 is reasonably clear.

During the week, well who knows?

As an outsider to the UK, it amazes me that such an unpredictable 'connection' exists and reminds me of the transfer from the international to the domestic airports in Sao Paulo.

man friday
19th Jan 2011, 06:12
DUFC,

If you originally booked ABZ-LGW-TPA and BA changed the route on you to ABZ-LHR-LGW-TPA they are obliged by EU law to pick up the cost of your transfer.

They did it to me with a GIB-LGW_MCO booking changed to GIB-LHR-LGW-MCO. They picked up the cost of the LHR-LGW transfer.

Used a prebooked hire car and had no snags at all. journey took 45mins and price wise was only a few quid dearer than National Express for a family of 4.

dufc
19th Jan 2011, 20:15
wowzz said : "Good Luck - make sure you come back on the forum and tell us all if you made it."

Will do... thanks again to all for the comments/advice.

Jim

wowzz
20th Jan 2011, 09:03
Man Friday
It's approximately 45 miles from LHR to LGW, so your driver must have AVERAGED around 60 mph. On the M25 that's pretty good going, even in the middle of the night.
dufc will be making the fourney around 9:00 a.m. - not exactly peak rush-hour but still heavy traffic. I would be surprised if his driver even reaches 60mph, let alone averages it!