PDA

View Full Version : Really, really need some help/advice?

Curiouserncuriouser
16th Jan 2011, 07:57
Hi all,

Where do you turn if you need help/advocacy/support as a pilot?

The problem is a long story that is best not for open forum, but need advice.

Tried looking at Air Safety Australia (?) but another site said that it was "closed" and time is of the essence as this issue is ESCALATING daily.

FWA says that bullying/harrassment is a matter for Worksafe, but Worksafe says that you have to be willing to make a open compaint (which this young pilot is too scared to do) and that complaints can't be made after the fact- so no one that has left can lodge a complaint.

Have tried CASA and they are 'looking into it' but who knows how long that is going to take?

Looking to speak to someone with legal knowledge or experience- please.

Thanks

YPJT
16th Jan 2011, 08:08
you're not the same dude that just one backpay through the Fair Work Ombudsman for backpay are you?

If it is outright harrassment, bullying etc. The Dept of Commerce (http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/labourrelations/Content/Your%20business%20your%20workplace/Key%20workplace%20issues/Workplace_bullying.html) is where you shuold probably go.

The Green Goblin
16th Jan 2011, 08:13
I'd suggest joining the AFAP, this is what they are for, and I'd love to see my fees going towards something constructive.

Curiouserncuriouser
16th Jan 2011, 09:26
YPJT and The Green Goblin- thank you for responding. :ok:

No, I wasn't recently involved in any FWA action (not that I was the complaining party to- anyhow) and it actually isn't my situation, it genuinely is a friend/colleague and I am trying to help as best I can.

I was just hoping that I might be able to pick the brain, or even PM someone older and experienced. Thought that someone might have a contact at CASA, or know an 'action-oriented' person at AFAP who could advise.

Not just bullying, safety breaches, accidents/near misses etc.

Classic 'big fish in little pond' scenario. I guess it just seems that the rules that are there to prevent tall poppy syndrome also shelter those that genuinely do wrong.

Roger Greendeck
16th Jan 2011, 10:58
If there are safety breaches/incidents involved a REPCON with the NTSB might be the go REPCON - Aviation Confidential Reporting Scheme (http://www.atsb.gov.au/voluntary/repcon-aviation.aspx)

More general work issue talk to the AFAP for advocacy.

If he is having a real struggle working his way through the red tape tell him to talk to his local member of maybe even Sen. Xenophon. The current enquiry might be an opportune time.

Curiouserncuriouser
16th Jan 2011, 12:49
Thanks Roger-

That was really helpful too, not someone that I would have thought of (Sen.) but may definitely be an option.

Wonder if I make the complaint/contact it might protect that pilot that I am talking about too- there might be rules about not persecuting whistleblowers, but rules will never stop it happening, they'll just take the abuse from 'overt' to 'covert' ...

16th Jan 2011, 17:04
Make sure you tell your friend to DOCUMENT EVERYTHING, all minor conversations/ major conversations with dates, times etc. Keep a log to help in the cause of showing this company consistency in their habits of bullying/ harrasment/ pressure to breach safety regs. If this person decides to take this further the investigating body will want to see a comprehensive notes - this ALWAYS looks favourably on the victim.
Further, tell your friend to see his local Doctor and make sure this person walks away from the Doc with a Note of concern for his/ her ability to safely perform his/her duties at work especially being a high performance role. Make sure this document clearly indicates that this visit will be reviewed in 6 weeks time etc. however emphasis on the fact the document state that this is consultation and not a recommendation visit. The purpose of this exercise is to visit someone with a professional medical background that can be in your corner of the ring.
If this persons organisation is that of a professional outfit tell him to file anonymous SMS Reports, In addition to sending the Chief a few E-mails/ letters addressing your concern of potential breach of regs.
All in all, life is too short to go home stressing about work, especially for an operator who will kick you when your down.

Curiouserncuriouser
16th Jan 2011, 21:10
Thank you 345789... Will do, and keep you all posted...

flying-spike
17th Jan 2011, 06:47
Just a word of caution regarding visits to the doc. If your mate is concerned that he is that stressed that he can't do his job (flying) then he should be reporting it to his DAME or directly to CASA.(Read CAO67 and the obligations to report contained therein) If he/she visits their GP and notifies them of the predicament then give that letter to their employer then sure as the proverbial flows downhill they will report it to CASA then they will sack your mate for breaching CAOs.

When your mate reports the safety breaches to CASA or the ATSB be sure that they draw the line between genuine safety concerns and the what can be (WRONGLY) perceived as the whining of an agrieved employee. CASA will get involved in a safety matter but not an industrial one. Tell your mate not to under any circumstances agree to carrying out an unsafe or illegal act even under duress. Better to walk away with your dignity, your licence and the respect of your peers than bow to a bully.

Seek industrial representation and I suggest the AFAP. Be up front with them and join. It will save you money and grief as this issue finalises.