PDA

View Full Version : Residential Airparks in Oz?

Andy_RR
15th Jan 2011, 12:11
OK, I visited Temora last year and I've recently heard that there's a WAVE thingy up near that bustling hub of economic activity in FNQ with outrageous Melbourne-style prices on their freehold blocks, but what other residental airparks exist in Australia?

Are they viable as real estate developments in an on-going sense?

The Septics seem to love them, so why not (more) here too?

Does CASA take a dim view of the idea?

Comments?

SeldomFixit
15th Jan 2011, 13:26
Narromine seems better developed than Temora. Been a while since I passed through though.

Mick.B
15th Jan 2011, 17:48
They are not a popular as the States put it that way. Maybe they will mature over time but with the state of GA in this country I wouldnt be slapping my deposit down in a hurry. When you look at it, whats in it for the developers ?

VH-XXX
15th Jan 2011, 20:59
Temora and Narromine? Great if you want to live in the middle of nowhere! Luckily you'd have an aircraft there, because you'd need it to get anywhere.

You would think that airparks on the coast would be more successful but the prices would be astronomical if you think Temora is expensive.

Andy_RR
15th Jan 2011, 21:23
I thought Temora was pretty reasonable, XXX. I laughed out loud when I looked at the prices they were asking up at Airlie Beach airpark - nearly $600k for an empty 1000m^2 block, still in the middle of nowhere... :rolleyes:

Ultralights
15th Jan 2011, 21:32
Sadly Aeropelican is back on the selling block, that site would make a fantastic airpark/marina community..

Mach E Avelli
15th Jan 2011, 23:12
There is talk over in W.A. of some developer doing airpark deals with the Shire Councils at Margaret River and somewhere else on the coast. Jurien Bay? Won't be cheap, but nice locations compared with the few existing ones which seem to be mostly in dust bowls when they are not being flooded. Problem for most of the existing ones is they are more suited to retirees because there is nothing for wife & kids to do. They are alright for the bloke tinkering with his P & J in the hangar.
I want one in Tassie. But it has to have a deepwater boat mooring as well, and cost no more than an average suburban house. Dream on.....

chimbu warrior
16th Jan 2011, 00:06
If you want one with boat access as well, try Pacific Haven at Howard (west of Hervey Bay). On the Burrum River.

Tankengine
16th Jan 2011, 01:35
Evan's Head.:ok:
Gatton?:eek:

Ascend Charlie
16th Jan 2011, 06:57
There's one at Cooloola, near Tin Can Bay.

Only a small strip, looks like room for about a dozen houses, only 5 or 6 at the moment.

notmyC150v2
16th Jan 2011, 08:24
Watts Bridge would fit into this category wouldn't it. The facilities there look pretty good (for smaller a/c anyway).

PapaNovGolf
16th Jan 2011, 08:54
With planes becoming less affordable and the cost of maintenance/compliancing escalating each year, you'd have to wonder why bother. CASA will soon have a 100% safe sky policy (no more GA) and we can all forget about aviation like a bad dream.:ouch:

Andy_RR
16th Jan 2011, 09:39
PNG, despite CASA there's an awful lot of experimental aviating to be done here in Aus at a significant discount (and with bonus knots) compared to the creaking certified stuff.

Some of these fields look like good things, but they all seem to be in Queensland! (or so close they wish they were) Are they there because that's where all the cheap ex-WW2 airfields are?

The Evans Head one looks like it could be good, although IMO they're making a mistake trying to use it to bankroll a museum. That'll scuttle the whole deal at some point.

Temora suffers from a lack of visual planning, IMO, apart from being in the middle of nowhere. Why would you invest in anything more than a tin shed there, although some have. Anything more seems to be overcapitalising and therefore if you do build a house there your neighborhood isn't terribly pleasant to look at.

Having said all that, I wonder though if a real residential airpark movement could be swung into action to mitigate the effects of the corporatisation of the exisiting GA airfields. I'm thinking of a dozen house/hangars with perhaps a little bit of commercial activity and a comfortable runway length for the SEP's of the world. Perhaps more of a commune (asylum?) for aviation nutters?

Could it work in Victoria without having to have million-dollar properties?

Lasiorhinus
17th Jan 2011, 14:07
Like at Latrobe Valley?

Dangnammit
17th Jan 2011, 20:57
Wallan in Vic, being on the Hume fwy may have worked, except now the field has been, surprise surprise, subdivided.

Andy_RR
18th Jan 2011, 00:42
Like at Latrobe Valley?

I admit I've not been down there, but I can't see any residential option for the place on any of their websites. Have I missed something? Seems to be very commercially focused, which isn't a bad thing if the business is there. Commercial = certified aviation mostly, so by definition, expensive.

Ultralights
18th Jan 2011, 05:54
Belmont airfield (aeropelican) is for sale, $8Mill. would make a fantastic coastal airpark/marina, with close enough proximity for commuters to Newcastle Williamtown,and central coast.

Andy_RR
18th Jan 2011, 09:35
How short could the runway realistically be in a residential airpark? I know this is a bit of a piece of string question, but say the general traffic was experimental/RAA with the odd Bo or perhaps Long-EZ or Lancair-type?

Lasiorhinus
18th Jan 2011, 13:28
Is it the V-tailed Bo's that are the odd ones, or the straight tails? :E

Jack Ranga
18th Jan 2011, 14:18
Like at Latrobe Valley?

Meggs seems to have it sorted down there :E

I know one bloke who's working on the airpark thingy in Vic ;)

harvey6
27th Jan 2011, 09:41
It would appear that I may be the only person responding that actually lives on an airpark.

The concept is popular in the 'States, with something like 250 across the country. Here in Oz there might be around 10, including Tyabb, Yarrawonga, Narromine, Temora, LaTrobe Valley, Airlie Beach, Bundaberg just off the top of my head. We did our research and moved from the Mornington Peninsula to Gatton Airpark in SE Qld. Despite the massive flooding in our Lockyer Valley, our community was immune from flooding as the all-weather airstrip is on top of a hill, which means we get lovely breezes all year round and great cross-wind practice. The airpark is an hour's drive from Brisbane and just 3 km from town, so we are neither remote, nor flat and boring. The strip is 800 metres and grassed, serving around 14 homes, with a further stage just released that offers another 30 lots, of which 10 have already been sold. The lots are around 3/4 of an acre, cost around $200k and the annual body corp fee of $500 covers all the maintenance. We have an annual breakfast fly-in and everyone is welcome, this year it is scheduled for May 29, so why not come along and have a look ?

Jetjr
28th Jan 2011, 01:18
Narromines blocks are all sold ~ $70K each, theres talk of stage 2 but I think it took too long to sell them.
Also new NSW development rules makes new houses have to be built ~ 1m above ground there. This might change if they get a flood plan developed.
Like all regional councils they are short of money and they have to have utilities done before they can sell em.

MALT68
28th Jan 2011, 08:11
Advertised in a recent Australian Soaring is a propsal for an airpark next to the Mt. Beauty strip in NE Vic. Mt Beauty Gliding Club operate out of that strip. I have flown gliders out of that strip. Good strip on an open valley floor. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Andy_RR
28th Jan 2011, 13:19
These places all look great and are obviously beautiful places to live etc, but...

...running an aircraft is a relatively expensive endeavor and making a buck to pay for it whilst living in the middle of nowhere is quite a difficult thing. Hence the land price they can ask will be limited. (notwithstanding Australia's incredibly unaffordable housing anyway... :ouch:)

AIREHEAD
28th Jan 2011, 19:38
Just wondering, at places like Bundy, that are security controlled airports, how do you get around ASIC requirements, or does everyone you invite around for a barby has to have an ASIC or a visitors pass. Suppose it would stop gatecrashers

Ex FSO GRIFFO
28th Jan 2011, 23:25
'Tis still the plan for RACWA to develop Murrayfield near Mandurah as an airpark, or to have it done by interested parties, with a view to having a base there for the Club as well.

JD has a plan 'on paper'. It would be a fantastic project for G/A in WA should it reach fruition.

:ok:

poteroo
29th Jan 2011, 00:18
Isn't Myrup Farm, on the E edge of Esperance town, an established airpark?

Denmark Shire has begun selling about 10 blocks 'on airport' which are large enough to have house + hangar and these will have taxiway access as well as sealed road. They look good - but no view towards the coast.

What's happened to the old Boodge Guthrie strip at Yallingup? That would have been ideal for an airpark.

There are several other south coastal locations with airpark potential - guess that they'll come into being when 'climate change' forces more retirees down to our cooler region.

happy days,

Arm out the window
29th Jan 2011, 00:23
Come to Atherton in tropical FNQ - quite a few houses being built with hangars and clear taxi paths out to the airstrip, top spot it is!

Andy_RR
29th Jan 2011, 03:25
Murrayfield as an Airpark is an excellent idea! More power to JD and crack on with it fella!

sprocket check
29th Jan 2011, 11:36
cost no more than an average suburban house. Dream on.....

isn't that close to a mill now in the big smoke?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Jan 2011, 13:58
NOT if 'I' have it ....'My Way'......

Cheers:ok::ok:

Tinstaafl
29th Jan 2011, 17:32
Jindabyne airstrip would be a good prospect, I think. Caboolture & Caloundra too.

Another option is for public aerodromes to allow 'through the fence' access ie the block of land is outside the aerodrome boundary but a taxiway is allowed to connect the home with the airstrip's taxiways.

drkgld
16th Nov 2015, 00:08
According to Channel 7 News, Fraser Coast Regional Council approved a new 63-lot airpark at Yengarie on the Fraser Coast in SE Queensland last month. It's for recreational aircraft only (no GA) and based around an existing private strip not a council aerodrome. The developer expects to start selling off-plan in 2016. Lots are 2400-4000 square metres, all with runway access and private hangarage. Maybe this is a better option for recreational pilots and enthusiasts who don't want to compete with the 'big boys' for runway, hangarage and airspace?

Flying Binghi
16th Nov 2015, 02:54
Me-thinks Cooktown would make a good airpark. Just put 3' or so of fill down for the occasional flood.

tecman
16th Nov 2015, 05:30
Murrayfield would be a winner, with its tolerably close location to Perth. The pigs might be a challenge for me, though. But there's money where's there's muck, and the olfactory landing system available during a westerly might be a selling point :). From the looks of the housing development around the general area plenty of people are not bothered.

HarleyD
17th Nov 2015, 18:36
Air parks are numerous in the USA, and unlike here in Oz they are usually located somewhere handy. Check out the Rosamond Skypark in California on google map. About 60 large road front residences each with taxiway access in rear. Not small blocks mostly either. It's handy to Edwards AFB and Willow Springs motor racing circuit. It's about two hours by road from the centre of LA, but 12-15 min from Van Nuys by air. It has a restaurant on site, and I have dropped in for lunch several times.

Air parks like this are not uncommon in the USA. They are usually a part of an airport complex at the design stage, often it is the specific reason for the airport. They are not usually appended to a rural airport because the land is cheap. USA has a much larger population with ten times more towns cities and major centres than we do as air parks usually are relatively close to a major centre of some sort, or in a holiday state, where a second residence is desirable. Like marina developments they do need to be accessible to a place that people like or want to live.

A more industrial airport residential solution in USA is that many of the hangars at many GA airports are large, and very often have a loft and mezzanine with a living space upstairs and a toilet, laundry and shower room downstairs, permitting weekend, or short term, living at the hangar. Many hangars not only have one or two light aircraft , but other toys are kept there as well, boats, Harley's, a 60's convertible mustang etc. drive in access is fine and the hitler approach to airport management that we see here is totally absent. Drive in, drive out, stay for a week, no problem. The hangar taxiway complex doubles as a road, without flashing lights on the roof, living in your hangar at your airport where you pay your lease, NO PROBLEM, just common sense.

That's why it works much better there than here.

HD