PDA

View Full Version : Flight deck visits with American Airlines

Speedbird777
10th Jun 2001, 08:45
Do American airlines such as Continental or Northwest allow flight deck visits? If so, do they allow them during take off/landing?

Fast Jet Wannabe
10th Jun 2001, 14:17
No - never on any US carrier. It's against the law. You may well be allowed a look at the gate though.

Captain Numpty
10th Jun 2001, 14:27
In fact....a very good friend of mine who is a Captain with AA told me that technically speaking not even Flight Attendants are allowed in the Cockpit below 10,000 feet, as the Cockpit has to be a sterile environment.

C.N.

j17
10th Jun 2001, 15:29
ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO FLEW FROM MAN TO KATL WITH DELTA.KNOWING THE RULES ABOUT FLT DECK VISITS WITH AMERICAN CARRIERS I THOUGHT I WOULD CHANCE MY ARM BY WRITING A LETTER TO THE DELTA FLEET MANAGER IN ATLANTA.SURPRISE SURPRISE I WAS INVITED TO THE FLT DECK AND STAYED THERE FOR THE APPROACH AND LANDING INTO KATL.IF YOU DONT ASK YOU DONT GET

Oilhead
10th Jun 2001, 17:15
Captain Numpty is right. No FA's in cockpit below 10k. The only time at United they get to ride on the cockpit from start to finish is when they are in initial training. They get a one time cockpit pass so they can see how hard we work, and appreciate our need for shoulder massages when under savage pressure! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

dallas dude
10th Jun 2001, 19:45
j17

You are certainly an exception to the rule, although FAA ATC folks are allowed to ride on US jumpseats.

Only FAA licensed pilots may ride on the FDJseat, always at the Captain's discretion.

Many times I've wanted to let others ride (like my Dad, and some BA friends) but the FAR's make this illegal.

There's a whole list of who can and who can't be offered the seat.

dd

Avman
11th Jun 2001, 00:17
It has been my experience that riding jumpseat with American carriers is not a particular problem if you're ATC. You need, however, to clear this prior to departure with ops and the captain. Once OK you are expected to remain up front for the duration (except for a pee or meal break). What is generally NOT possible, even as ATC, is to request a flight deck visit during the flight if you originally boarded as a passenger. I have jumpseated with NW, AA, DL, WN, HP, and a dozen other U.S. airlines -most of them now sadly long gone!

ALT
11th Jun 2001, 22:03
How about if you work for a European airline, but can produce a FAA CPL, will that suffice?

Ignition Override
12th Jun 2001, 08:17
Not with us-the FAA legally owns the jumpseats.

The ironic thing is that at FEDEX (a US package/cargo airline), all employees can jumpseat just outside the cockpit, and even inside! Knowing that-if anyone were to claim that having unapproved foreign pilots in a cockpit is a safety isuue makes no sense-it is merely a legal issue. The FAA answers to nobody regarding the contradictions within their policies. US airlines normally must submit paperwork to different levels of another company's flight operations and to the FAA, in order to add their pilots to the approved jumpseat list. With us, a company executive may visit, after first sending up an ID, along with company mechanics, dispatchers and ATC can present a form before departure.

There is a possibility that a Chief Pilot or VP Flight Operations could have the authority to approve someone whose company is not yet on the approved list, but I doubt that this would be likely with a large company which has a high profile. I wish good luck to anyone out there.

[This message has been edited by Ignition Override (edited 12 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ignition Override (edited 12 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ignition Override (edited 13 June 2001).]

Big Red ' L '
12th Jun 2001, 14:06
I know a woman who retired last year and went off to America on her own touring. On one of her flights, the captain asked her if she wanted to join them for landing which she did so. Not sure what airline, but think she landed at Miami.....

------------------
Its not the fall that kills you...Its the sudden stop.....