PDA

View Full Version : Purchases before commencing CPL course, getting ahead.

wheels_down
15th Jan 2011, 02:28
Guys. I am scheduled to start my CPL course in around 1-1.5months here in Australia, but during this time I was thinking of buying a few things now while I have the money, rather get a few things out of the way now, less things to worry about come that time.

I was thinking of getting the Clark headset, SPL, C1 Medical. Anything else mabye?

Any guidance much appreciated. No BS would be great.

mcgrath50
15th Jan 2011, 02:46
Definitely get the Class 1 Medical done before you spend any other money, you never know...

The other things? Depends how serious you are. You don't need them to start, and if you decide that in lesson 2 being a pilot isn't all it's cracked up to be (it happens) you've wasted a lot of money.

DropYourSocks
15th Jan 2011, 07:03
Spend the money and get some good aviators :E

But seriously, get a good headset, not something cheap.

bentleg
15th Jan 2011, 07:28
Get your class one medical before you do anything else. If you cant get that you wont be needing any of the other stuff.

MCKES
15th Jan 2011, 07:38
Get a good comfortable headset when you start, not needed now. Some good sunglasses that aren't aviators and aren't polarised again not needed until you start. Now I would focus on a class 1 medical, SPL and an ASIC, these are the things that hold things up early in training so get them now so that you are ready to go. ASIC I think may take up to 6 weeks depending on how busy they are. And then while your waiting get a hold of whichever version of the BAK theory book that the school uses either Bob Tait or ATC, and just have a bit of a read through it so you have gone over some of the basics before you start. And if you haven't already done it, Go for a TIF. Best of luck:ok:

apache
15th Jan 2011, 07:42
PLUS a Good reliable and cheap car. maybe an XF Falcon Ute, or similar... and do NOT register it in NSW!!!!!!
a car like that will last you throughout your student days and then take you around Aus to find that first job.
you will in the meantime, learn how ti DRIVE it, and how to FIX it. you will also know, before you head north, what is or isn't so flash.

enjoy.