PDA

View Full Version : ADF at its finest - Brisbane Flood 2011

L J R
14th Jan 2011, 00:34
My home town is underwater, but the ADF is stepping up to the plate. Pity some of my neighbouring residents are complaining about the noise of the Blackhawks overhead....

Montannah Creasy gets a hug from her Black Hawk rescuer Tony Young | Courier Mail (http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/montannah-creasy-gets-a-hug-from-her-black-hawk-rescuer-tony-young/story-fn7knuy7-1225987449092)

Good work to this Blackhawk crewman. The picture sums it up.

FoxtrotAlpha18
14th Jan 2011, 03:53
:ok::ok::ok:

Red Line Entry
14th Jan 2011, 08:19
You've got to admire the Aussi spirit.

Saw a piece on the TV last night where a reporter heard a generator running on the upper floor of a house that was in about 10 ft of water. When he went over (by boat) and interviewed the owner the reply came:

'Gotta have the genny running - only way to keep the beer cold!'

Respect (even if they can't play cricket)!

orgASMic
14th Jan 2011, 09:07
Good on ya, Bruce! Got mates in Brisbane trying to stay dry so keep it up.:D

MTOW
14th Jan 2011, 09:33
My favourite TV moment was the sight of the bronze statue of football star Wally Lewis at the submerged Suncorp Stadium wearing floaties and a diving mask and goggles.

Just to prove not all Aussies have the spirit referred to above, some *** jobsworth took them off the statue this morning.

If it's anything like Darwin after Tracy, the ADF guys and girls will be doing some really unpleasant and damned hard work, not always with any thanks from those they're helping.

As one who's been there and done that, best wishes to you all. Bloody awful time of year to be doing anything even remotely like what they'll be doing, particularly in and around Brisbane.

Madbob
14th Jan 2011, 10:44
I can't help making a comparison here asking "How would we cope with a disaster on the scale seen in Queensland?"

Boscastle was NOTHING compared to what the Aussies are having to deal with - not that I'm trying to take away credit for what the FAA, RAF and Coastguard rescue helicopter crews did then.

All I am asking is whether we could match the kind of response seen here. Imagine a repeat of the 1953 East Coast Floods, or say the failure of the Thames Barrier to get some sense of scale.

Hats off to the ADF! (and other EMS crews).

MB

PotentialPilot
14th Jan 2011, 11:07
Glad your are all keeping your chins up, :)

Praise to Tony Young :D