PDA

View Full Version : Delays BA58 CPT-LHR 12.1.11

dfdasein
13th Jan 2011, 14:41
Unhappy passengers on BA58 ex CPT to LHR Weds night delayed: first, vehicle hit engine pod and photos taken and sent to UK for examination - cleared for flight; then a passenger became ill and was removed from plane, and finally passengers informed the flight plan had to be changed to avoid Barcelona for a route further east....:confused:

brakedwell
13th Jan 2011, 14:47
So?
:ugh::ugh:

dfdasein
13th Jan 2011, 14:58
So passengers unhappy and wondering why engineers at location could not check
for damage, and whether Obama or some such was in Barcelona! :=

lomapaseo
13th Jan 2011, 15:10
Lots of possibilities, including route changes due to range limitations with safe fuel for diversions. Damage type maybe not covered fully enough in on-site manuals and folks wanted to be darn sure it was safety first over passenger convenience.

Lesson learned stuff for SLF forums.

I always feel more reassured when I learn that the main base has confirmed everything OK and has considered all the alternatives.:D

fincastle84
13th Jan 2011, 15:24
Well done BA. Better to be safe than sorry.:ok:

PAXboy
13th Jan 2011, 16:21
I do not want to be critical of a situation at which I was not present, we do not know how well the staff informed the pax and so forth.

Yes, it was bad luck that there were three things that delayed the flight but that is life. If the vehicle impact had been three hours earlier - then it would be cleared before boarding BUT if the pax had become ill three hours later, that might have meant an in flight diversion over Africa in the middle of the night. If it was not a reroute to avoid BCN, it might have been a reroute to avoid weather.

Personally, I like to travel on carriers who have eliminated risk and get me to my destination. Late? Sure, it might be inconvenient but life can be like that. ;)

TopBunk
13th Jan 2011, 17:37
I experienced a baggage truck drive into an engine nacelle on a BA B747-400 about 12 years ago at LHR, our home base, about 10 minutes before scheduled departure.

It took 24 hours to replace the nacelle and to depart with the original crew to Asia.

There are many systems in the nacelle area that require to have their operational status confirming before a CRS (Certtificate of Release to Service) can be issued.

Sounds to me as if the local engineering support (SAA?) was on the ball and did a good job, along withe the Captain and crew and the engineering support staff back in London.

If the pax actually knew what goes on behind the scenes in a well run airline I suspect a few eyes would be opened.

WHBM
13th Jan 2011, 23:05
I see it got away 2 hours 50 minutes late. Given all these issues put in their way by sources not under their direct control, that's pretty good going.

wowzz
13th Jan 2011, 23:43
Blimey!
Compared to all the other problems going on at the moment, I would be happy to get to LHR within 24 hours of the scheduled arrival time!
I once arrived in Toronto 24 hours late due to a mid-air medical emergency, plus fog in Toronto, but these things happen - it is not a perfect world.

Ops_Room_Junkie
14th Jan 2011, 11:06
Dfdasein

Not sure what industry you work in but it must be nice to never have anything go wrong and limitless resources wherever you go.

I know customer are always right and you pay our wages etc. but this must be the most pointless posting I have ever read on here. And that, in itself, is quite a challenge!:sad:

Fly380
14th Jan 2011, 12:03
In post6 PAXboy said
BUT if the pax had become ill three hours later, that might have meant an in flight diversion over Africa in the middle of the night.

Oh my God. I used to pilot this route. It used to go directly Capetown - Lagos over water and then the normal route Lagos - Heathrow.
Heaven help anyone who was diverted to a destination in sub Sahara Africa in the middle of the night.:eek:

PAXboy
14th Jan 2011, 12:20
Thanks Fly380. I have travelled that exact route several times and will be on it again in April, albeit not with BA. Medical crisis over Africa? If it was me that was poorly, I think I'd say carry on to destination - I'll take my chances. :sad:

Fly380
14th Jan 2011, 12:50
Good move PAXboy. There are many items in the medical kit including things like catheters (ouch). One section of the kit can be used by the cabin crew and another section only by a Doctor. I would imagine that on the average full Capetown trip there would be at least a couple of doctors on board. Another bad spot to fall ill is over Siberia. There is literally nowhere to divert to that would be suitable especially on the northerly LHR - NRT route. I was positioning on this sector some years ago and a passenger collapsed with a suspected heart attack. There was a doctor on board but it turned out not to be a heart attack. The pax was diabetic and had left his medication in his suitcase:ugh: He was given the relevent medication and an hour later he was happily tucking into his breakfast. Sorry for the thread creep.

dfdasein
14th Jan 2011, 13:41
I was going to reply to Ops Room Junkie that I am in the rejuvenation industry; we wind people up.

Pointless, a dozen posts?!

I was not on the flight in question but on my last visit to CPT, via Dubai, I woke up a couple of hours after supper feeling queasy and headed for the toilet, which I found occupied. Next thing I knew I was on the floor surrounded by concerned cabin staff. I enjoyed being given oxygen by a pretty lady. No other diversion. :O

intortola
14th Jan 2011, 13:46
Flew LHR-CPT a few years back and we had a medical emergency in flight already well over Africa, captain explained to us that he was in constant contact with operations department and a medical centre and the best decision was to turn around and divert to Malta, we landed in Malta from my memory a few hours later. Although it was some time ago i do recall we were kept well informed, refreshments provided while we were on ground in Malta. These things happen, no point in getting too stressed when things go wrong.

PAXboy
14th Jan 2011, 14:02
Malta would be fine and not far off the usual route for this sector.