PDA

View Full Version : RAF Redundancies

JTIDS
12th Jan 2011, 20:03
Does anyone know when the information regarding the first round of redundancies (voluntary or otherwise) is going to come out?

gijoe
12th Jan 2011, 20:20
Tri-service announcements with numbers due at the end of Mar 11.

RN have broadcast a Galaxy (personnel news) outlining some of the requirements.

Yozzer
13th Jan 2011, 09:03
My worry is twofold:

1) Am I in the firing line.
2) How to effectively manage personnel under my command who are made redundant against their will. Likewise there may be peers so affected.

It is unchartered waters and the usual aircrew way of: "Man the F*** Up and do one", is clearly not what is needed. There should be guidelines set by Manning regarding protocols to employ once the brown envelopes arrive. For sure a recipient of such a letter is not going to want to sing the praises of Govt or Service and the associated depression is likely to be contagious. I cannot remember what happened last time beyond a lot of happy chappies with a large wedge ($) to look forward to.

Cannonfodder
13th Jan 2011, 09:17
My worry is that we have line managers in the Air Force that can't spell.

Chainkicker
13th Jan 2011, 09:20
My worry is that we have line managers in the Air Force that can't spell.

Some of the grammer can be quite shoddy to ;) ;)

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
13th Jan 2011, 09:21
Something else is twofold.

Each phase of redundancy in the 90's was oversubscribed by volunteers, twofold.

Pontius Navigator
13th Jan 2011, 09:23
There will undoubtedly be a number, possibly large, that are being made redundant against their will. This will not be all compulsory redundees as I would guess some are looking forward to being 'pushed' as they would have gone anyway.

Some of the pissed off will continue to put in face time but show no willingness to work outside their job specs. Others will become downright bolshie and turn down offers of secondary duties such as audit boards etc.

I submit that these people are NOT the ones you need to worry about. You need to worry about those not getting out as they will have to carry the additional burden.

The bucket of water principle has long held sway in the RAF and much as you will not be missed when you have left, you will be resented immediately before you go. Manage the survivors; help those leaving if they need help.

big v
13th Jan 2011, 09:36
Yozzer's concern is interesting. Being in an organisation that is shedding people can scare those under threat. Looking at a website where posts commonly jeer at the employment prospects of non-pilot aircrew can make folks even more scared. Because it's a big bad world out there.

PN subsequently pointed out that previous rounds of redundency featured happy smiling faces with wheelbarrows full of cash. That's the reality, and it gets better when you get a decent job. If you do your resettlement, learn to write a cv etc and do your networking, there's stacks of opportunity, even for old g**s. Don't be scared, go for it and don't look back.

Good luck.

BigV

Madbob
13th Jan 2011, 10:06
As others have said on this thread people can do one of two things. Either accept the packages on offer or put up and shut up and face up to the reality of a much less capable RAF but one that will still demand Loyalty from you. It's a question of attitude.

The fact is that the world has changed. I don't just mean that the Cold War is over like the situation was in 1989/90 but the fact that the UK (sadly) is no longer able to afford the defence posture it once had. (IMHO we clung onto the past - relics of Empire etc. - for far too long.)

The reality is the Armed Forces have been shrinking quietly for years and years. We will never get back to the air force of even 1990, let alone the one we had in 1980. Our polititians have other spending priorities and we can't afford to maintain the welfare state/education/health and defence budgets given the scale of the national debt and lower than forecast economic growth.

I left in 1989 after 10 years when I saw the writing on the wall. Even then the RAF was twice the size it is now and RAFG was the front line. The difference though was I left of my own accord and the economy was still performing.

For those who still love the job stick with it but be under no allusion that the RAF will offer the same career it might have when you first joined. For those who leave (as volunteers or not) the main thing is to exit with the best £££ package you can and use your training/experience/officer-like qualities and leadership skills to your best advantage. You know that you are miles better than any civvy!

Network hard and don't give up. You will find that there ARE careers and there IS a life out in Civvy Street even if it might not appear so. The grass can be greener on the other side of the fence. Be positive.

MB

1.3VStall
13th Jan 2011, 11:10
I echo what Madbob said. My departure, after over 27 years, was in the 90s redundancies. There are three key points:

1. Don't undersell yourself, really believe that you have transferrable skills.
2. Produce a stunning, pithy and attention-grabbing CV.
3. Network, network, network and network - and continue to do so once you are in your first civvy job, beacuse it will help when you move on to the next one!

Good luck to all that leave, there are many opportunities out there, even in difficult economic times.

spannermonkey
13th Jan 2011, 12:16
I agree with the replies above, its not all doom and gloom on the outside, but I would add that aside from a few who 'fall into a great job the rest have to work to get what they want. Yes those from the RAF are still seen by a lot of industry as choice folks, but equally there are those who have never been in the services who are just as capable. Remember, due to previous reductions there are a lot of ex mil folks who have been in industry for a few years so are just as if not more valuable to many companies.

I left a couple of years ago, granted with the back up of a pension, but had to work hard to get the jobs I've had, at the same time I was aiming high so I had room to wiggle - result I'm with a very good company with an awesome package. A lot of it does come down to your CV, but aware of the fact that you can't fill it out with fantasy bollox just to big yourself up, but don't sell yourself short. Companies are smart and will, based on the level of the role, grill a potential new employee - current job was a 4 person interview that lasted 2 hours. I now have a great position working with a company that is far better at looking after its people than the RAF has become and who are very understanding about my home life. If you are the person they want, use that and make sure you get the most for yourself. Most of the guys that work with or for me are ex mil so there is still that association many crave. My 'two bit' nugget of advice would be there are a lot of jobs out there, you just have to know what it is you are looking for and develop a plan and be prepared to make a few compromises if its the job you really want, whatever they may be. If you are aiming high, be prepared for a lot of rejections, or in most cases no response at all, just take them and move on to the next application - they are not personal. On the same note don't just send out one or two at a time, apply and keep applying for them.

All of that said the initial question was how to deal with your guys, those who are leaving and those who remain. As PN said offer help to those who want and ask, the others if they become bitter and twisted - their choice. For those leaving, encourage them to make use of whatever help there. Will the Seniors put a workable and effective plan into place :rolleyes:

The Military is never going to be like the old days, they ended years ago and it has, for too long been a case of dealing with the most recent/next grand plan handed down form above.

Bottom line is as its always been - you are responsible for you - make the most of and for you.

The Oberon
13th Jan 2011, 12:23
There is of course another type of person that you have to consider and that is the individual who wanted to go but for various reasons has been retained. Having been the Line Manager of some of these cases, they are often the most difficult to deal with.

A2QFI
13th Jan 2011, 12:33
As can the spelling of grammar! It is a minefield isn't it?

Canadian WokkaDoctor
13th Jan 2011, 12:51
The Canadian Forces are seriously consdiering a "Hire a Brit" initiative. If you have the right skills you could end up over here - eh.

:)

Canadian WokkaDoctor

downsizer
13th Jan 2011, 14:08
If you have the right skills

And what type of skills might they be looking for?

Canadian WokkaDoctor
13th Jan 2011, 14:13
Downsizer,

I'll PM you.

Canadian

Canadian Break
13th Jan 2011, 15:49
In reply to Cannofodder's post No 4: my worry is that we have Line Managers at all! Shouldn't we leave all that sort of thing to the civilian workplace and have Leaders instead, just like we used to have before the MBA brigade started running the Armed Forces, with their Traffic Light Assessments and suchlike?

CB:=

Jumping_Jack
13th Jan 2011, 16:13
Regrettably the wheel barrows full of cash are missing from this particular set of redundancies.....and even less after 1 Apr 2013.

Heathhurn
13th Jan 2011, 17:14
The MBA Brigade now run civilian industry and as like promotes like, get started on an MBA, as well as getting MRAes after your name. the latter qualification can be got thro a Viva Voca (oral) exam which most service officers/SNCOs should pass without difficulty. The former can be done in a crammer or by correspondence depending on your personal timescale. Currently time is on your side. If you get resettlement leave or resettlement training time, offer to work in the industry of your choice for free and then network like mad to find a slot for yourself in your area of choice.The decision makers in industry are now mostly in their thirties or early forties most with MBAs, they are looking for like minded people and will rail against anyone with a service superiority complex towards civvies. The biggest put down I got when job hunting was "Not much call for hired killers".
Make your CV stand out, One sheet Quality A4 paper, colour photo, SAE enclosed, remember out of hundreds of applicants yours has to attract the filter persons attention or it just goes in the reject file. Employment law is on your side, if you have a disability, say so, as your application will be dealt with under the disability discrimination act. If you feel agrieved you can go to a tribunal and seek redress if you are treated unfairly.

Above all else remember that you have already passed one of the most demanding selection process in the world in reaching your current military position. Trade on your experience, Research the company (Experion published accounts, Companies House, etc) before going for interview ask for a look around and find out the background of the interview panel. Do your information gathering well before interview.

Start your preparation now. I used the above procedure to make the transition after 21yrs in the RAF to 25yrs in civvie street culminating in a Company Director Appointment.

Good luck, Work Hard and Believe in yourself

Pontius Navigator
13th Jan 2011, 17:42
In reply to Cannofodder's post No 4: my worry is that we have Line Managers at all! Shouldn't we leave all that sort of thing to the civilian workplace and have Leaders instead, just like we used to have before the MBA brigade started running the Armed Forces, with their Traffic Light Assessments and suchlike?

CB:=

CB, that was true until, I guess, the 80s when we started to have Service Level Agreement, ISO 9000, QA and HSE etc. We already had Executives rather than flt and sqn cdrs. It was all a move to create the suggestion of transferable civilian skills and civilian recognisable job titles because of, would you believe, redundancies :). We abandoned traditional departments and their Directors and instead created agencies.

The Air Secretary's Department became the Personnel Management AGENCY after a short spell as a CENTRE.

The Head of Defence Estates is the Chief Executive. His No 2, a civilian, is the Chief Operations Officer.

Given the preponderance of civil servants in the MOD it was inevitable that we became a civiliansied force.

minigundiplomat
13th Jan 2011, 18:15
Research the company (Experion published accounts, Companies House, etc)

It is often easier than that. If the company has a website, go to the 'About Us' pages.

That normally yields the company strategy, ethos and history. It often (if it is a large organisation) also contains the previous years accounts.

Try it!

Time spent on recce is seldom wasted.

Jambo Jet
13th Jan 2011, 19:49
Just wondering who does the sifting and boarding? Reverse promotion board for non-applicants?, or is that not permitted?

For those that have an ATPL in their back pocket or about to, I suspect that there could be a mass exodus soon. The suspension of the military accreditation scheme for ATPL/CPL will probably mean lots of guys/galls being forced into getting their licence earlier than they planned to. They'd be mad not to, after all.

And with the likes of Jet2 actively recruiting (and focussed at the military brethren) I think most would be daft not to have a look/see at least.

You only have to look at the website Pilot Jobs Network - for students of pilot schools and experienced airline pilots (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com) to see that the attitude to recruitment amongst many UK airlines is positive whereas not so long ago it was distinctly negative.

The net result will most likely leave the RAF undermanned as any experience is cashed in for an civil licence, and those currently in the training system being tossed aside to save money. All looks pretty short-sighted to me.

Pontius Navigator
13th Jan 2011, 19:54
Do remember you are not talking just Pilots or just Maritime aircrew but dozens of redundant tradesmen too.

It is too easy to focus on the TWMR and forget the rest.

Jambo Jet
13th Jan 2011, 19:59
Do remember you are not talking just Pilots or just Maritime aircrew but dozens of redundant tradesmen too.

It is too easy to focus on the TWMR and forget the rest.

Fully aware of the depth of the redundancies, but thought this forum was aimed at pilots specifically and aircrew generally.

I do not intend to ignore the others; hope that was not implied.

ShortFatOne
13th Jan 2011, 22:13
The problem with 'slicing off the side of the pyramid' is that the pyramid tends to collapse. Far better to remove from the top and work down!!

Aeronut
13th Jan 2011, 23:06
Just wondering who does the sifting and boarding? Reverse promotion board for non-applicants?, or is that not permitted?

Go on, have a guess!

Party Animal
13th Jan 2011, 23:15
It will be interesting to see the final pyramid after all the changes. Will it be the same height or even taller? Are VSO's down to Wg Cdr liable for compulsory redundancy by the same percentage as everyone else?

Interesting to see how CAS' goal of all 3 tranches to be anounced in time for everyone (who wants to) leave prior to the big 1 Apr 13 date, will work out. Will there be a bunch of compulsory redundees being told in the summer of 2012 that they have to leave, regardless of wishes in the summer of 2013 and therefore have no option other than the 3 months payout (for those on the 75 scheme)?

Just This Once - you appear to be in the know. Any answers to Tranches 2 and 3?

alfred_the_great
14th Jan 2011, 05:58
Certainly in the RN our Officer structure is being reduced in line with the number of Ratings going. There is a significant problem with Lt Cdrs and Cdrs who are in comfy jobs with 10+ years remaining on their commission, whilst Lt RN and Lt Cdr pile up beneath them.....

Mr C Hinecap
14th Jan 2011, 07:21
I know the demise of the GD Branch has hacked off a number of very bright and capables in the non-Aircrew Branches, who see protectionism at the top from the TWMR.

Pontius Navigator
14th Jan 2011, 07:26
The RAF had a similar 'pyramid' with Eng Os in 1990. The numbers for JOs to sqn ldrs was about equal at 842 each. Not too bad on stations but way more in staff appointment, although with sqns having one JEngO and one SEngO it was not a true pyramid even there.

teeteringhead
14th Jan 2011, 10:39
If we truly "slice the side off the pyramid", then the apex is lower. But we never do that. The RAF I joined was something like 150 000 strong - and was run by a 4* CAS.

We are shortly heading somewhere South of 35 000 - with a 4* CAS! Just how small do we have to be to lose a rank at the top ....

...... or anywhere else for that matter. At a rough count,from AC to 4* we have a total of 18 ranks (not including Rock LCpls). The Met Police - who have about 35 000 in uniform - manage with a total of 11 ranks, from Constable to Commissioner. And that's 2 more ranks than most forces,who seem to manage with 9. Do we really need twice as many ranks .......

Pontius Navigator
14th Jan 2011, 11:00
TH, the police seem to have managed to unlink rank and pay with a PC earning a similar wage to a military sergeant and a sqn ldr earning less than an inspector.

Obviously these are up tos but it shows that the lowest police rank covers AC, LAC, SAC, Cpl as well. Now if ORs were assured the pay . . .

NutLoose
14th Jan 2011, 11:51
Good luck to you all whatever happens, the downside of it all is that unlike previous "downsizing," in a recession there are few places available, my sisters lad has completed all of his Engineering Licence courses, but is simply unable to get a placement anywhere for the period required to issue the licence, the industry is at rock bottom at the moment and one fears that the people coming out will find it hard going. If you can, I would try and stay put!!

Roland Pulfrew
14th Jan 2011, 13:34
Original RAF target is for 850 personnel in Tranche 1 but there is an intent to bring some from Tranche 2 & 3 forward to avoid the final Tranche 3 non-applicants being dismissed post 1 Apr 13 (when the AFPS 75 brigade have the SCP reduced to 3 months (vice 9 months) basic pay).

Interesting to see how CAS' goal of all 3 tranches to be anounced in time for everyone (who wants to) leave prior to the big 1 Apr 13 date, will work out. Will there be a bunch of compulsory redundees being told in the summer of 2012 that they have to leave, regardless of wishes in the summer of 2013 and therefore have no option other than the 3 months payout (for those on the 75 scheme)?

I thought that it had been agreed by the Treasury that as Tranche 2 and 3 are all part of the same single redundancy scheme all 3 tranches would be treated the same in respect to redundancy pay regardless of date of redundancy.

Rizzler
14th Jan 2011, 13:44
The information note will be relased on 1 Feb 11 with the full target population announced on 1 Mar 11. First announcement of who is to be made redundant is likely to be 1 Sep 11. All of this has been previously published

Party Animal
14th Jan 2011, 13:57
RP

I thought that it had been agreed by the Treasury that as Tranche 2 and 3 are all part of the same single redundancy scheme all 3 tranches would be treated the same in respect to redundancy pay regardless of date of redundancy.

If the above is correct, I suspect it would be a relief to many but your comment is the first occasion I have heard this said. Can you put any meat on the bones or is it just anecdotal rumour?

Cheers, PA

Party Animal
14th Jan 2011, 16:47
Just This Once

That is incredibly useful - thank you. So the only serious question to still be answered is: Will those dismissed in Tranche 3, leaving on 31 Aug 13 receive 9 months or 3 months redundancy pay, if they are on AFPS 75?

Further question: As we are talking pay, is it correct to assume that FP is accounted for in the redundancy payout?

All genuine replies appreciated.....

Willard Whyte
14th Jan 2011, 17:05
WSOs have been, or will be, told that the aim is for the redundancies to be completed at tranche 2 if possible. The reasoning (on the pp brief) was not mentioned...

Our station gets its 'live' brief next week.

RumPunch
14th Jan 2011, 18:59
We were told by manning that Tranche 3 if it goes ahead will get the same benefits as Tranche 1 & 2. The reason behind this is the simple fact the Air Force want rid of 5000 people in 3 tranches , so everyone will get treated equally.
It was in discussion with the bean counters but it sounded pretty certain that this will be the case.

JTIDS
15th Jan 2011, 12:52
Just this once, Thank you very much, very useful information...

Now to sit down with a calculator and do some deep thinking!

VinRouge
15th Jan 2011, 13:20
Does anyone know whether the 5000 figure includes natural wastage? There seems to be an awful lot of that going on at the moment, not least amongst the most experienced personnel we have. :sad:

VinRouge
15th Jan 2011, 14:04
Its where it leaves the RAF in 3 years wiuth a shutdown training pipeline, the only experience outside of afghanistan/iraq leaving and sod all experience elsewhere.

But then again, post Haddon-Cave, we learned we were a safety driven culture, not a resource driven one. Didnt we? :mad:

Do as I say, not as I do springs to mind.

Does anyone else think the threat of reduced redundancy payments post 2013 is little more than an opportunity for the seniors to frontload the redundancies and get away with it in the eyes of our naeive personnel? :ooh:

Mr C Hinecap
15th Jan 2011, 14:35
Does anyone else think the threat of reduced redundancy payments post 2013 is little more than an opportunity for the seniors to frontload the redundancies and get away with it in the eyes of our naeive personnel?

Nope. I take it you haven't seen some of the 'further down the line' manpower figures for the 3 Forces then? We won't be filling 1st Division football stadiums, never mind the Premiere League.

JTIDS
15th Jan 2011, 14:50
http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/33B5F9BA-FFEC-4922-A793-48D1A211A130/0/20101019DIN201001188ArmedForcesRedundancyScheme2010Provision s.pdf

If any one is interested a link to the DIN.

Hugh FW
15th Jan 2011, 15:37
Do I understand that the drop in redundancy payout from 9 months pay to 3 months pay in April 2013, only applies to those on AFPS75?

Are there any similar gotchas for those on AFPS05 or does the 12 months max payout continue post Apr 2013?

Rgds

Hugh FW

Joe Black
15th Jan 2011, 17:52
Anyone have a link and/or info on the resettlement grants for those unlucky enough to be made redundant and not an IP? Only just realised I'll qualify for it if made redundant as a non-applicant.......not that it makes this mess any better!

JTIDS
15th Jan 2011, 20:29
I think the resettlement grant is a separate thing to the redundancy payment isn't it?

LFFC
16th Jan 2011, 10:49
Just This Once..

Some areas are looking at heavy % losses (such as NCA) and the big idea is to 'slice off the side of the pyramid' ...as the abstract and impenetrable staff-speak goes.

As opposed to making the sides of the pyramid steeper, it looks like we'll finally see the loss of some senior rank levels to retain the shape of the pyramid. I guess that will lead to savings like this:

Fox takes his spending axe to Forces 'Ferrero Rocher Club': High-ranking military attaches to be cut back.
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1347616/Fox-takes-spending-axe-Forces-Ferrero-Rocher-Club-High-ranking-military-attaches-cut-back.html)

The Minister is said to be committed to stopping ‘jobs for the boys’, with military attaché roles given to senior ranks earning £85,000 to £101,000 a year.

He wants to replace them, where possible, with Majors or Captains on salaries of £38,000 to £57,000.

Whatever next? Wg Cdrs in charge of Stations and Gp Capts in charge of Groups?

StopStart
16th Jan 2011, 11:05
And of course no country will be slighted by the UK only rating them worthy of a Major as Defence Attache. He's all over this diplomacy stuff :zzz:

Aeronut
16th Jan 2011, 13:39
He wants to replace them, where possible, with Majors or Captains

Excellent news for Majors & Captains. Hope we have enough of them for these new posts.

Joe Black
16th Jan 2011, 14:10
JTIDS,

I believe you are correct and that as well as receiving a SCP, a person on an engagement, which, if it were to run its full course, would not result in an IP, will also receive a resettlement grant provided they have completed the minimum service requirement :

A Resettlement Grant (RG) may be payable in addition to a SCP. To qualify for a RG, an Officer or Other Rank must serve 9 years from age 21 or 12 years from age 18 respectively and not be entitled to receive an Immediate Pension on termination of service.

Just not sure on the figure but will get my head in the JSP and chase it up.

500days2do
17th Jan 2011, 12:54
No worries guy's...

Diamond Dave says the private sector will pick up all the redundancies and his mates in the Banking industry will lend lots of cash to make it so.

I do hope all those who voted blue are pleased with themselves...

Suckered...!!!

5d2d

Biggus
17th Jan 2011, 13:17
5d2d

Shouldn't you change your username to "out now", or "retired", or "ex-military" or some such phrase...?

Aeronut
17th Jan 2011, 13:22
I do hope all those who voted blue are pleased with themselves...

and I hope all those that voted red for 3 terms are very pleased with themselves.

JTIDS
17th Jan 2011, 18:01
Much as I hate to bring this back round to the subject in hand!

Anyone know if the RG is taxed or not?

Also anyone want to bet how many pilots are offered redundancy across the tranches, esp given the current excess numbers!

Pontius Navigator
17th Jan 2011, 21:14
JTIDS, how about 1.5 x the number of seats that have been withdrawn?

All R1/MR2 pilots, all Harrier pilots, all Dominie pilots, and not a few AT at a guess. Not a pretty picture at all.

Aeronut
18th Jan 2011, 00:07
All R1/MR2 pilots, all Harrier pilots, all Dominie pilots, and not a few AT

plus, I mean minus, Sentinel

SammySu
18th Jan 2011, 06:20
All RAF Harrier pilots already have a new cockpit/job. It's the 111 boys I feel sorry for....

Runaway Gun
18th Jan 2011, 09:15
SS, where did they all go?

Jayand
18th Jan 2011, 09:21
Pontious I don't know about that, from what I heard very few 2 winged master race will be chopped from the Kipper fleet, they have all squirreled away UAS and other such pointless postings, so much for the triangle remaining balanced!

Training Risky
18th Jan 2011, 09:34
All RAF Harrier pilots already have a new cockpit/job

Errr...not quite. Some mates of mine with at least 2 op tours under their belts are currently wearing blue, filing paperclips and straightening chairs for the 5000-odd senior officers still resident in RAF Buckinghamshire!!!

Prospects of a cockpit looking slim with limited places on Tiffy and GR4 OCUs!

Good luck to 'em.

Pontius Navigator
18th Jan 2011, 11:23
Jayland, I hope these are real jobs and not mark-time to redundancy. Remember there is time for a full tour in a non-job before tranche 2 or 3.

muttywhitedog
18th Jan 2011, 17:29
All RAF Harrier pilots already have a new cockpit/job

Errr...not quite. Some mates of mine with at least 2 op tours under their belts are currently wearing blue, filing paperclips and straightening chairs for the 5000-odd senior officers still resident in RAF Buckinghamshire whilst still drawing flying pay.

Filing paperclips and straightning chairs is still a job, albeit a very dull one. Maybe they could come back to Rutland or other bases and cover duties like the Audit Board Members whilst those of us who are doing 2, 3 or 4 jobs can concentrate on doing our primary role.

Talk Reaction
18th Jan 2011, 17:44
...no it isn't.....
;)

Roland Pulfrew
18th Jan 2011, 18:20
Jayand - from what I heard very few 2 winged master race will be chopped from the Kipper fleet, they have all squirreled [sic] away UAS and other such pointless postings

Well I guess you heard wrong. There are a few UAS sqn cdr posts for Nimrod personnel, and a few of the pilots might get a hold on an AEF whilst they wait for another OCU or an alternative future. Sat at ISK doing no flying or flying with a UAS/AEF doing something useful and gaining some valuable experience. Not sure why that is such an issue?

You should be aware that there may not be any JO pilot redundancies. Then again until the DIN is published, we just wont know for certain, will we?

BEagle
18th Jan 2011, 18:45
Roly, old bean, I feel so sorry for chaps (and chapesses...chapthings) with your years of experience, drive and initiative.

Who have been sold up the river by 't Bungling Baron and the 13 years of Blair and Broon wrecking our economy.

Whilst getting some stick time at a UAS/AEF might be a lot more fun than counting paperclips for desk-sucking blotter-jotters at Hot Air Command, I can't help but wonder how the impressionable youngsters flying with such holding pilots would view the future RAF.

But a holding squadron of Hawks (which any bugger can fly, they are so pi$$-easy), to keep pilot skills current might be a different matter....

However, none of the above will keep maritime rear crew skills adequately current.

Thank you for destroying the country, Bliar and Broon....:mad:

Jayand
19th Jan 2011, 10:51
"However, none of the above will keep maritime rear crew skills adequately current"
Current for what? they will be getting the axe very shortly and currency will be the last of their worries.

Ali Qadoo
19th Jan 2011, 12:49
I think BEagle may be on to a winner with his idea of a Hawk holding squadron. All you'd need is an airfield near to some decent low flying and an air-to-ground range (somewhere like North Devon maybe) and at minimal cost you could hone young pilots' skills in tactics and weaponry... only thing is, I'm stuck for what such a unit might be called - any suggestions?

JTIDS
22nd Jan 2011, 17:06
Can anyone tell me if I've got my sums right for the SCP if you not at your pension point? As far as I can work out its...

Years served * one months pay (tax free but not including specialist pay, ie Flying pay) * 1.5

Many thanks in advance,

JTIDS.

Green Flash
22nd Jan 2011, 17:38
only thing is, I'm stuck for what such a unit might be called - any suggestions?

Moose Jaw?;)

P-M-G
22nd Jan 2011, 17:38
Maybe you could fill such a unit with lots of instructor pilots recently returned from op tours whose FJ types have just gone out of service. They'd be invaluable passing on the knowledge with a few QWIs for the latest generic tactics and weaponry. Maybe 3 waves a day, a few pairs and the odd 4 ship. You could split the course into two phases, maybe an AD Phase for the guys going Typhoon and a gnd attack phase for the guys going..........well Typhoon I guess. Can't think of a suitable name either. Devon a bit remote though as locations go and not much to do at weekends, no decent pubs, beaches not great, surf a bit flat I hear. Valley would be a much better location!:ugh:

camelspyyder
22nd Jan 2011, 18:13
JTIDS

see link here to Forces Pension Society:

The Forces Pension Society Hot Topics (http://www.forcespensionsociety.org/how-we-can-help-you/topical-pension-issues/pensions-on-redundancy/)

CS

Willard Whyte
24th Jan 2011, 17:57
A friend - wife of a senior officer Nav - of Mrs Whyte reports that her hubby has been told his job is safe.

Do all senior officers have such important jobs that none are vulnerable in the forthcoming redundancy tranches, or has their stay/go selection process been completed already?

Seems a bit odd that friend of Mrs W seemed so certain of her hubby's job security given SDSR numbers were announced relatively recently, and us mere mortals won't find out T1 names until September, although I accept some may get a heads up sooner, perhaps.

Anyone heard of anything different (and bearing in mind this is a rumour network).

lonsdale2
24th Jan 2011, 18:07
Back in December the Navy saw fit to keep their personnel informed about the upcoming redundancies and issued a Galaxy Briefing Note.
Along with details of the programme and key dates were details of those cadres excluded from the redundancy programme.
Maybe the SO in question is in one of those cadres.

http://www.nff.org.uk/pdfdocs/redundancy_programe_dec2010.pdf

Scuttled
24th Jan 2011, 18:15
I think that's Nav, not Navy fella.

lonsdale2
24th Jan 2011, 19:55
Damn these eyes of mine!!

Does beg the question though, if the Navy can do it why can't the other Services?

Easy Street
24th Jan 2011, 22:51
Maybe they could come back to Rutland or other bases and cover duties like the Audit Board Members whilst those of us who are doing 2, 3 or 4 jobs can concentrate on doing our primary role.But if you weren't doing 4 other jobs, whilst pretending to do your primary role in your sleep, how on earth would you ever compete on the promotion board?? :}

Board members over the last couple of years appear to inhabit a parallel universe in which everyone's primary duties are a piece of piss and can be completed without so much as a second thought! Just wait until the number of 'biffs' occupying supervisory roles on flying sqns starts to increase - we'll have some great creches and summer balls, but the operational output will be rubbish. Plus we will have accumulated a pool of passed-over, pissed-off Flt Lts who work 50-hour weeks covering for the 'biffs' and get an SO3 ground tour as a thank-you for their efforts...