PDA

View Full Version : Coltishall to return to use.

hunty
12th Jan 2011, 11:30
Hi Gents

Its been reported that TAG Aviation from Stansted, have won the tender for this former RAF base. The company will use the airfield to receive end of life airliners for spares reclaiming, scrapping plus the storage of airframes.

The company expect 300 jobs to be created. Which must be good news for the locals.

Hunty

niknak
12th Jan 2011, 11:42
Welcome to the Hotel California - you may enter but never leave.

RAF Coltishall to become aircraft recycling site - Business - Eastern Daily Press (http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/raf_coltishall_to_become_aircraft_recycling_site_1_771573)

Not a sealed deal, as TAG are only the prefered bidder, but the only way it would fall through now is if planning etc didn't work out.
It'll be interesting to see how the planners view artic' lorries routing through the leafy lanes to and from Colt' to the A140 with no alternatives.

hunty
12th Jan 2011, 11:45
I'm sure the planners will find a way!:=

Finningley Boy
12th Jan 2011, 11:54
It nshould be retained as an active airfield. The R.A.F. may need it again!:E

FB:)

ShyTorque
12th Jan 2011, 13:55
They should rename it "Oneway" airfield? ;)

Brain Potter
12th Jan 2011, 14:35
Won't need any SIDs ;)

bobward
13th Jan 2011, 12:08
There's a cunning plan to avoid all those big trucks on the lanes. Rumour has it they're going to move that big travellers site from Essex up here.

That'll solve two problems at once......

According to the TAG spokesman on BBC Look east, they're planning one arrival per day for recycling, plus aircraft for short to long term storage. A rough figure of up to 50 jets on site was being bandied about as well.

Time will tell.
:hmm:

Ali Qadoo
13th Jan 2011, 12:17
If the rumour turns out to be true, it'll be high sixes all round in the streets of Norwich.

av001
13th Jan 2011, 19:46
I have been working as a consultant for TAG Aviation (Stansted) Ltd for the last 18 months. My remit from the boss (former TA soldier, Help for Heroes man and all-round good bloke) was "to find him an airfield" and we are delighted that we have been successful in bidding for Coltishall. We are all total aviation people (ex RAF and civilian) and it is a real honour to know we have saved this Battle of Britain airfield from the developers, or worse. We have had great support from the people of North Norfolk and look forward to reopening the base this year. The BBC report is accurate. You might also want to look at the yesterday's Eastern Daily Press report. We look forward to hosting the "Spirit of Coltishall" Museum on site, employing a lot of ex-service technicians and generally keeping this great airfield as it should be - "Aggressive in Defence".

Five Livers
14th Jan 2011, 14:15
Great news! Well done to all involved.

goofer3
14th Jan 2011, 15:23
Agree, it is excellent news. Hopefully it will attract other aviation related activity to Coltishall as well.
(Who needs the local roads when you can have one of these chappies to do the delivering for you:ok:) Colt, Sep'91.

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/goofer33/Colt03SEP91.jpg?t=1295021154

Fugazi1000
14th Jan 2011, 15:37
If the rumour turns out to be true, it'll be high sixes all round in the streets of Norwich.

:D I spilt my tea upon reading that!