PDA

View Full Version : Nimrod R1 Out Of Service Function

Andy Bain
12th Jan 2011, 11:21
There will be a function held at RAF Waddington on 31 Mar 11, to celebrate the last flight of the Nimrod R1 (and the end of Nimrod).:(

All ex-51Sqn personnel (serving and non-serving) and other closely associated partners, are invited to email me at: nimrodr1.function(at)gmail.com for details.

You will appreciate that attendance will strictly be by invite only with limited places available and verification of all non-serving attendees will be required before being invited.

"51 Sqn Association" members will be sent separate invites through normal Sqn channels.

Kind Regards

Andy

thunderbird7
13th Jan 2011, 18:47
Bump to the top

Charlie Luncher
13th Jan 2011, 20:39
Will the young lads be on bag emptying duties?:eek:
Charlie sends

Wensleydale
14th Jan 2011, 07:40
I trust that the recent lottery winners will be paying for it all?:ok:

Distant Voice
15th Jan 2011, 06:34
I have lost touch with matters relating to the Nimrod R1's replacement. What will we have to perform the R1's task on 1st April?

DV (Ex 51 Sqd Ops Analysis)

Sandy Parts
15th Jan 2011, 16:42
our Allies - not a problem....according to the politicians who are apparently well advised by our Senior Air Officers....

Sir George Cayley
15th Jan 2011, 18:39
Distant Voice,

A good question for April Fools DAy.

I think the technical answer is Nowt:ok:

Sir George Cayley

Phoney Tony
17th Jan 2011, 19:54
Bounce to the top!

Jackonicko
17th Jan 2011, 20:34
What will we have to perform the R1's task on 1st April?

Not these, just yet:

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr144/pugwash09/Aircraft/RC-135.jpg

For the politically correct answer, you'll need to use some or all of these key phrases:

Burden sharing, harmonisation with the USAF, co-manning, special relationship, capability holiday, interoperability, Cold War mission.

But use these words, because words are important. None more so than 'adaptable'.

Adaptable is just a word but it encapsulates the vigilance, flexibility, resilience and agility we will seek to maintain.

and be sure not to use any of these:
Loss of sovereign capability, EWAD, loss of rapid autonomous modification/upgrade capability, inferior capability in some areas, f*ck all, nada, nil, nothing.

Because while our "intention is to remain America's most capable and reliable ally. We recognise that we benefit a great deal from the relationship. In return we will retain the ability to operate independently or in support of the US across the full spectrum of domains and capabilities."

Except those capabilities we flush down the tubes, and except those we will piggy back from the Yanks, and which will be meaningless and empty if ever they choose to turn off the tap. Eg 51, in the future.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/9263F942_5056_A318_A882F60B6FDB3818.jpg

http://www.offutt.af.mil/shared/media/ggallery/hires/AFG-110104-037.jpg

And before you ask, there are no Beefeaters, Bobbies or Pearly Queens in the graphic, as they're all down the back of the Rivet Joint, eating pies.

Finningley Boy
17th Jan 2011, 21:50
I take it that our First Rate Armed Forces, to use the Government description, are about to engage on yet another capability holiday, to use an expression which has become thread bare, since the arrival of T Blair!

Oh dear, I do despair!:}

FB:)

Phoney Tony
18th Jan 2011, 17:46
I think that aim here is to celebrate the retirement of an excellent platform flown and supported by an outstanding team, not to make comment on what we may have lost.

Well done 51 Sqn.

Those that know know.

Those that do not should be thankful!

Jackonicko
18th Jan 2011, 19:53
Tony,

Actually, the stated aim of this thread was to draw attention to a well-earned celebration of one era in the long and proud history of a very distinguished squadron.

Every subsequent post has simply bounced it back to the top.

Paying tribute and celebrating here is, however, an excellent idea. Not just because the R1 came close to clocking up 37 years in service with a single unit, which can't be a routine achievement (did 39 do it with the Canberra?).

But also because this is a unit, and a platform, that has consistently hidden its light in a deep hole, dug under a bushell, and dug at dead of night, very very quietly.

And this has been a world-class capability, a war-winning capability, and a triumph of intelligent procurement and support, representing superb value for money for the taxpayer.

There can be few units whose current peacetime operations come close to equalling or exceeding their wartime glories, but 51 must come closer than most. There must be many ageing ex-Halifax chaps (to say nothing of those who flew Yorks with the Squadron, as a relative of mine did) who do not take some pride in what they know of the Squadron's recent achievements and current reputation.

It's therefore a great pleasure to salute a good, solid, platform, flown by a truly outstanding team, a genuinely elite band and supported by an almost equally impressive one, and I do so effusively and without reservation.

The question was asked, however, "what takes over?"

I answered that question, and I pointed out that we may not be quite as lucky in the future. That does not detract from my salute - if anything it underlines it.

However, I have no doubt that the men and women of 51 will make the very best of whatever they have in their very capable hands in the future, and that the squadron will continue to add to its laurels.

Jackonicko
19th Jan 2011, 11:40
and talking of bouncing it to the top....

olddog
31st Jan 2011, 10:04
Back to the top for old duffers like me who need to be reminded to E Mail Andy before it's tooo late!

denachtenmai
3rd Feb 2011, 12:01
Thanks 51 for the best 8 years of my life, so sad to see a remarkable outfit go, hope the goose returns on another platform::D
Regards, Den.

pr00ne
9th Mar 2011, 18:57
R1 out of service delayed by 90 days. Are you going to rearrange the do?

denachtenmai.

The Squadron isn't disbanding. They are going on to fly the RC135 Rivet Joint. Initially with the USAF at Mildenhall while their own 3 aircraft are converted, then with their own fleet.

olddog
9th Mar 2011, 22:17
For the benefit of anyone who has not received official notification. I was informed today that the R1 out of service event on 31 Mar has been cancelled because of unforseen circumstances and will be rescheduled at a future date. Long live the R1, fly safe guys!

big red .1
10th Mar 2011, 06:24
Red noses....check
Floppy shoes....check
Spinning bow tie....check
Squirty flower....check
:ugh:

denachtenmai
10th Mar 2011, 06:29
Thanks for the headsup pr00ne:ok:
Den.

Grimweasel
10th Mar 2011, 07:38
What lottery winners?? do tell.....

Jackonicko
10th Mar 2011, 10:51
I read that the final two jets are assured of good homes when they finally finish flying - one at the E Midlands Aeropark, and one at Duxford. (What a pity that the RAF Museum can't find room for the third....)

I wonder roughly how many hours will these grand old dames have on them when they finally retire?

Lukeafb1
10th Mar 2011, 11:11
Andy,

I don't know whether this has already been pointed out, but for some reason, your email address (nimrodr1.function(at)gmail.com ) is not a recognised email address.

Luke.

Eventually figured out that the correct email address is, I hope: [email protected]

NutLoose
10th Mar 2011, 11:17
Yup, East Mids will get one which means I will see it everyday..... Duxford is the Imperial War Museum. The other was going to Newark but they I believe pulled out when they realised she wouldn't be fully complete and with the costs of moving it etc, have heard various stories from its interior gutted (which one can understand) to having its engines removed when it retires to East Midlands. would be nice to know when it is due in advance, so I can get some piccies of her final flight...... Have some of the Grimrod at Coventry's arrival.

Having to extend its service because of world events sort of tells a tale in itself, what will they do when it is gone and something else kicks off before the Rivet Joint is in place.
One does wonder, if I was selling on some of my cast offs, I wouldn't be selling the prime examples of the fleet, but 3 of the dogs of the fleet.

SafeSteve
10th Mar 2011, 14:33
Had an awesome time on 51 - all too brief and the very first posting of my 15 year career, but managed to remain at Wyton on the Canberras, so still got to see them taking to the sky...and, as someone rightly said, knowing what role they DID perform (loved the Jane's definitions...!!!).

Nice to see them fighting against the fading of the light - as they should!

I'll be sure to ping that e-mail across anyway - when I manage to get back to my own PC!!!

Evanelpus
10th Mar 2011, 15:18
For the benefit of anyone who has not received official notification. I was informed today that the R1 out of service event on 31 Mar has been cancelled because of unforseen circumstances

What a beautiful phrase!

mmitch
10th Mar 2011, 18:35
Perhaps a R1 could be sent to search for any signs of intelligence in Whitehall. ;)
mmitch.

davejb
10th Mar 2011, 19:10
The R1,
despite rumours to the contrary,
has never had sensors capable of discerning such low amplitude signals against the background noise, mmitch.

Dave

Nozzlefaff
10th Mar 2011, 19:37
BBC news reporting that 2 R1s will be kept for a further 3 months. Interesting.

ACW599
10th Mar 2011, 19:52
>Perhaps a R1 could be sent to search for any signs of intelligence in Whitehall.<

The signal-to-noise ratio is far too low, even for an R1's sensors :-)

(edit: sorry, just noticed that mmitch made the same point earlier)

tramps
10th Mar 2011, 20:59
BBC News - Two Nimrod UK spy planes reprieved until June at least (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12707222)

Amazing! You really, really could not make this up. Hope you all have a great party and that something worthwhile comes out of this as well: ok:

SRENNAPS
11th Mar 2011, 05:32
BBC News - Two Nimrod UK spy planes reprieved until June at least

So is anybody hanging their heads in shame, muttering the words “I got it wrong” and then resigning…..like honourable people used to do once:ugh::ugh: