PDA

View Full Version : Getting CPL in NZ

DanLynch
12th Jan 2011, 01:16
Hi guys, I'm a kiwi currently living in Brisbane, have been here for 3 years and was going to do my CPL here this year, but then thought about going home to do it in Auckland so I could get a student loan.
I have been searching this forum all day which has answered a few questions for me but am needing a few more answers and a bit of clarification.
Over here I was going to do it at the local airfield which would take 24 weeks full time and cost around $33,000. If I were to do this in NZ I would not get a student loan, correct? I have to go through a flight school that is NZQA accredited, which would take 1 year?
Also, do I have to do my PPL first? Or is this included in the CPL in NZ? And I left school at the end of 6th form, and missed out on NCEA level 2 by a few credits, will this be an issue? I turn 21 in April if that makes a difference...

Alot of questions there I know! But will appreciate any info anyone can offer.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers, Dan.

mattyj
12th Jan 2011, 02:22
Do it in NZ, learn proper ICAO rules..reduce deforestation with a smaller, simpler, more relevant, more practical, less open to interpretation and duplication set of regulations.:ok:

For customer service CAAs not great, but at least they have computers.

kiwiscanfly15
12th Jan 2011, 03:02
Just as a word of warning mate (i wish someone told me this before i got myself into the industry) make sure you do your research about what your in for after the study, i had no idea and was foolish enough to think that life after CPL would be a breeze. just make sure its something you know that you want to 100% commit to. i hope i am not putting you of the idea, but have you maybe thought about ATC and Aircraft engineering etc? With maybe a PPL on the side? I am only saying this because sometimes i wish i could have done 1 or 2 things differently.

Cheers mate, hope all goes well and best of luck!

DanLynch
12th Jan 2011, 03:30
Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.

I realise that getting my CPL is just the 1st step and none of this will be a breeze and am 200% commited. I have also looked in to being an engineer and decided it isn't for me. A family friend is a pilot for Jetstar here in Aus, and have gone over everything with him, nothings putting me off don't worry! :)

Thanks again!

kiwiscanfly15
12th Jan 2011, 04:26
Thats great news mate, have you considered training elsewhere other Auckland? from what i have heard there can be a 12:1 student to instructor ratio, i had a 2:1 and felt i benefited greatly with that. and also there are those organizations that have the wrong attitude towards flight training ($ over comprehensive tuition). the 2 further pieces of advice are just research a few organizations, however in saying that, i have heard many rumors about student loan schemes being scrapped for aviation related studies in particular sooner rather than later.
once again best of luck mate.

smoothest of landings to you.

cloudhigh
12th Jan 2011, 22:44
Hey mate,

I joint a NZQA 'school' and already had my PPL.
Did my CPL, MEIR, CCAT all on the loan.
You don't need to start from the start.

seneca208
13th Jan 2011, 01:16
Depending on what school you go to complete your CPL, they will more than likely require you to have completed at least Level 2 NCEA to be eligible for the loan.