PDA

View Full Version : Alligator Airways Job

WannaBeBiggles
11th Jan 2011, 19:27
Applications are invited from pilots with the following minimum experience for our Kununurra base:

Minimum Requirements:

Australian Commercial Pilot License
Night VFR Rating
400 hours Total
Current DG Certificate with at least six months to expiry
Current Class One Medical Certificate
Desirable Experience:

Experience on Turbocharged aircraft
Previous charter experience
Please Note: If you do NOT meet the above minimum requirements please do not apply as they are a company requirement.

From reading various other threads, it sounds like there a literally dozens of pilots waiting for work up in Kunnas so thought it was interesting to see someone up there having advertise.
Do I take it not one of the people up there waiting has 400 hours? Or are people getting snagged on things like not having a NVFR or DG?

Hasselhof
11th Jan 2011, 21:33
Not sure if there would be dozens up there right now in peak wet season. In two months, sure. I still find it hard to believe that anyone would look for work with a company holding a charter AOC and not have a DG certificate. If guys are getting skipped over because they haven't got one then they know exactly who to blame.

The Green Goblin
11th Jan 2011, 22:08
Funny isn't it?

You need 400 hours to fly a scarecan, but can fly an scarebus with 200 :cool:

I'd say the work is very quiet right now in Kununurra, and the CP is bored looking for something to do.

There will still be the usual trip to Mecca for most this year :D

PLovett
11th Jan 2011, 22:50
Hasselhof, a DG certificate can be obtained with a couple of hours work on the internet. If a company is using that as an excuse not to interview when everything else points to a suitable applicant then it speaks volumes about the company and its standards. :rolleyes:

The requirement for a DG certificate every 2 years is farcical and is nothing but another ridiculous requirement that has little value in practice. Certainly it should be required initially but every 2 years thereafter? :mad:

rmcdonal
11th Jan 2011, 23:03
Hasselhof, a DG certificate can be obtained with a couple of hours work on the internet. If a company is using that as an excuse not to interview when everything else points to a suitable applicant then it speaks volumes about the company and its standards.
If a pilot doesn't make the effort to obtain the DG then it speaks volumes about the pilot.

PLovett
11th Jan 2011, 23:06
rmcdonal, it is an extra expense for someone who is out of work. Besides, if a person gets the certificate when selected for a position the company then has the benefit of a full 2 years.

glekichi
11th Jan 2011, 23:30
Not providing training as basic and inexpensive as a DG certificate speaks volumes about the operator, I would say.

The Green Goblin
11th Jan 2011, 23:50
Geez peoples attitudes stink!

Before I went north I made sure I had three things:

DG Certificate
First Aid
Night Rating

Sadly, there are many Pilots with none of these, that thinks the world owes them a favour because they have a CPL.

A MECIR is not a substitute for a NVFR rating. The MECIR needs to be current to use it, and there are different considerations for planning purposes. All you need for the NVFR rating is a take off and landing in 6 months and a one hour cross country flight in 12. You won't be carrying punters in a single, so there is no need to satisfy the 3 take off and landings in 90 days. The rest is pretty simple to keep current on dead charter legs.

I have a NVFR rating with NIL restrictions so I can fly multi engine types on the rating. (not that I need this anymore)I would suggest the fellas pull their fingers out of their :ugh: and get on with it.

GG

glekichi
12th Jan 2011, 01:53
I dunno GG one minute you're out to get people that pay for things to get ahead, the next you're supporting it.
All of the employers Ive worked for have supplied the DG certificate and renewals.

dabz
12th Jan 2011, 02:03
I'm looking at getting my DGs cert and have been told from a good source doing this "Dangerous Goods By Air: Awareness (http://airsafe.com.au/dgbyaira.html)" online correspondence course is sufficient.

I'm not so sure as it says "This course will not qualify you to accept, document or package dangerous goods".

A full DG course is a full 3 day course and costs 500$..

Would anybody know if the awareness correspondence is enough?

knightflyer
12th Jan 2011, 02:14
DG Awareness course is all you need as a pilot, the other course is for staff at a freight receiver.

ZappBrannigan
12th Jan 2011, 07:08
I'm not so sure as it says "This course will not qualify you to accept, document or package dangerous goods".You won't be doing any of those things. Someone else will formally accept the DG and ensure it's documented and packaged properly, you merely carry it on your aircraft. There are a few key things you need to know, but they don't involve determining whether the DG is actually able to fly or not (that's the acceptance role). The online course you're looking at is fine, and is all that's required.

notaplanegeek
12th Jan 2011, 07:40
dabz airsafe are fantastic, fast efficient and the reception lady was so helpfull.

The Green Goblin
12th Jan 2011, 11:19
I dunno GG one minute you're out to get people that pay for things to get ahead, the next you're supporting it.
All of the employers Ive worked for have supplied the DG certificate and renewals.

Once you're employed, then yes, the company should cover it to keep you current. It would be like saying 'why should I pay for a MECIR or NVFR rating? If the company requires me to use it, they should pay for me to get one'

In terms of endorsements and the rest, then yes, the company should pay once you are an employee.

MakeItHappenCaptain
12th Jan 2011, 13:55
I reckon any school that doesn't at least do your NVFR as part of the CPL is just sucking extras out of you after the event.

Clarification. The DG awareness course (I've used AVSTAR at ~$75 online) certifies that you can recognise and refuse to carry DG.
Again, why aren't schools making their students aware of this????

southernskyz
12th Jan 2011, 19:36
300 to 400 hours could become a standard entry requirement for a person to be considered for a single engine driver job, with a charter operator in Northern and Western Australia.

The cadet schemes such as Rex and Jetstar have really stuffed everything up, as there's little movement in the top part of the General Aviation scale, where twin and turbine drivers use to naturally progress to the majors.

On the other side of the coin, people are continuing to get their CPL's around the country each week and month, like mushrooms popping out of the ground with no idea what to do next.

I reckon it's harder now to crack a job north than it's ever been.

Three to Five years ago, the afap site was flooded with job ads each month.

Until the US and Europe recover from their slow downs and airlines start ordering new aircraft in masses again, things in OZ aviation will just stay as they are.

Hasselhof
12th Jan 2011, 20:21

I'm having trouble understanding that statement when it's written in a thread directly concerning a job ad for a pilot position in the north. You've either got a short memory or don't know just how hard it has been in the past.

tarmac12
12th Jan 2011, 21:17
I made the trip to Kununurra last year without success. I made sure that I had a DG and that the NVFR and MECIR were current. There seemed to be no consistancy in who was hired. Some guys that got a job had a bare CPL and others had everything including an instructor rating. It appeared to be solely based on if the CP liked you or not. You could be the most qualified person in the world but if you didn't seem to fit the profile of what they were after you were not going anywhere.

Plenty of really nice people were passed over and a few very questionable ones got a job!

People on this site always tell you to get up north cause you wont get a job if you dont. That advice seems only to be given by people who actually went north and scored a gig. I dont see anyone who didn't get hired telling all hopefulls to head north straight away.

rmcdonal
12th Jan 2011, 21:42
Plenty of really nice people were passed over and a few very questionable ones got a job!

I was wondering where the Qantas recruitment department went. :hmm::rolleyes:

YPJT
12th Jan 2011, 23:07
It appeared to be solely based on if the CP liked you or not.
Have heard that on several occasions. :D

The Green Goblin
12th Jan 2011, 23:57
That my friends is human nature. You are hardly going to hire someone you don't like!

DropYourSocks
13th Jan 2011, 01:49
It's not so much if the CP likes you or not (although it certainly helps), it's more about if you've got good people skills, because the majority of the work up there is dealing with tourists. Unfortunately, some people just dont have that, regardless of their qualifications.

kalavo
14th Jan 2011, 00:29

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time! Other than Christmas/New Years, I can't remember the last friday night on the town that didn't also happen to be someones farewell as they moved on to bigger and better things. Can't seem to replace them quick enough!

The Green Goblin
14th Jan 2011, 01:45
With all these new jets on the way and VB/Skywest turboprops requiring at least 5 crew per aircraft, I think we will see a good year ahead for recruitment.

There are a lot of guys around with good multi time, so don't expect a piston to jet job straight away as there are lots of turboprop guys around, however I think there will be good movement this year for all.

Newbies expect a piston single job.
Single drivers expect your multi engine slot
Multi engine guys expect a turboprop job/jet if you're really lucky
Turboprop guys expect at least an interview for a jet.

GG

glekichi
14th Jan 2011, 02:11
GG, agreed, but you forgot to mention:
Turboprop guys expect retention bonuses.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
14th Jan 2011, 13:12
Oi!

Glekichi and Green Goblin, please got touch some wood ferchrisake :E

Slow and steady wins the race folks. No need to race to the bottom this year, insist on good Ts and Cs, don't sell your souls and remember that this is a year to build the Profession back to what it should be (and what our passengers deserve).

Hmm, Alligator eh? Well, make double sure to check the oil and if possible ensure you've got an alibi who saw you preflight (Gator pilots will need is should their Scarevan engine seize and higher powers want to blame them rather than their own practices).

FRQ CB

PS, this chick almost forgot to touch wood, good girl for remembering. Now touch the wood in the image Glekichi and Green Goblin.

http://homepages.nyu.edu/%7Ekmg357/pictures/others/insanity.jpg

southernskyz
14th Jan 2011, 20:01
kalavo,

Before the financial crisis, every charter company in North and Western Australia consistently advertised for low time pilots with the bare minimum throughout the year.

I know a few guys who were flying twins after 6 months, as there was so much movement then, as there wasn't those cadet schemes.

There were up to 30 jobs each month on the afap website consistently advertised throughout the year, for instructors, C210 pilots, turbine experienced drivers and up to 70% of students learning to fly in Australia were international students.

As the financial crisis hit, a global slow down occurred with Australia being also exposed.
At Bankstown, three flying schools closed down shortly afterwards.

The Rex, Jetstar, Qantas, SkyWest cadet schemes, have limited the number of positions available for direct entry F/O positions.
The dynamics of the industry have changed permanently and a lot of you guys aren't seeing that and don't want hear about it.

People working as a charter pilot or instructor these days, can expect to stay in that line of work for years to come, unless they start thinking globally, as over 50% of future F/O positions are and will be getting filled up with a particular airlines' cadets.

The days where the airlines in Australia, have recruited mostly from the G.A industry have unfortunantly gone!

As you can all see, the entry requirements for a single engine driver job in W.A have gone up to 400 hours now, because there isn't much movement in the top part of the G.A industry.
There's still a world economic slow down and it also affects Australia's aviation scene.

Rex lowered there entry hours to 800 hour total time and 250 multi or ICUS, before the cadet scheme started, now it's 2000 hours with 500 multi and the best way to get in, is to be an instructor at their academy.

The Green Goblin: Quote:
"With all these new jets on the way and VB/Skywest turboprops requiring at least 5 crew per aircraft, I think we will see a good year ahead for recruitment".

Just wait for it....
Hope i'm wrong, but expect to see at least 50% of the new DJ/Skywest operation to be filled by Skywest's cadets!
The DJ/Skywest operation, is the equivalent to Qantaslink.

blackhand
15th Jan 2011, 01:22
It appeared to be solely based on if the CP liked you or not. And you think you would be hired if the Cp doesn't like you?
Grow up:D

mcgrath50
15th Jan 2011, 01:56
The Rex, Jetstar, Qantas, SkyWest cadet schemes,

I've heard less than 10 were accepted to QF last year and according to the website none are taken this year and no news on next years scheme if any. So at least atm Qantas won't be saturated by cadets. (having said that, with movement in Qantas like it is, maybe 10 will saturate the place!)

splinter11
15th Jan 2011, 02:56
They are still taking on cadets at the same rate as previously, but now instead of going directly to main line the little poofters are getting a start at Qlink.....

southernskyz
15th Jan 2011, 03:21
mcgrath50: Quote:
"I've heard less than 10 were accepted to QF last year and according to the website none are taken this year and no news on next years scheme if any. So at least atm Qantas won't be saturated by cadets. (having said that, with movement in Qantas like it is, maybe 10 will saturate the place!)"

No!
There's a backlog of at least 300 that have started before the financial crisis and are doing that 3 to 5 year flying/university course, which was set up by Qantas.
On completion of their training, cadets obtain their experience as a turbine F/O or Second Officer within the Qantas Group!

People should be thankful DJ, Air North and the Qantaslink traineeship are exclusively recruiting pilots from the General Aviation side.

I believe the DJ/Skywest operation is the equivalent to Qantaslink, which will probably be run by Skywest countrywide.

D-J
24th Jan 2011, 06:33
whilst we're talking about alligator, does anyone know if they still operate the c206 on floats? no mention of it on their website anymore..

just wondering if it's doing much work these days

DropYourSocks
24th Jan 2011, 07:17
Written off. try KAT

huntsman
24th Jan 2011, 08:36
what's KAT?

The Green Goblin
24th Jan 2011, 08:54
Written off. try KAT

Nope, it was taken off the floats in the last few months and sold as a run of the mill C206.

propblast
24th Jan 2011, 12:09
Nope, it was taken off the floats in the last few months and sold as a run of the mill C206.

Buyer beware. Future corrosion problems more likely than other 206's?

D-J
24th Jan 2011, 12:26
Buyer beware. Future corrosion problems more likely than other 206's?

I wouldn't think that the fresh water at kunners would cause to many problems, maybe getting a wash every flight might have done it some good :p

propblast
24th Jan 2011, 12:34
I wouldn't think that the fresh water at kunners would cause to many problems, maybe getting a wash every flight might have done it some good http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Fair call. But I'd still be having a good look if I was buying it.

Just back to the OP for a bit. Does anyone know how they got on looking for a 400hr pilot?

Are they thick on the ground this year or will they struggle to meet those mins when the season really picks up?

tmpffisch
24th Jan 2011, 13:05
Most of the blokes that have hit me up for info this year have had over 400hrs.

InF3sTeD
19th Feb 2011, 05:57
I'm a canadian student currently doing my CPL training. I'm already night rated and will probably do my multi engine aswell.

I would love to work for a company like this as my first job. I have seen their website and it looks like an amazing experience. When I finish flight school I will have low hours of course so would it be possible that they would hire me if I was willing to relocate? Or would they not even look at my resume?

Also, would the process be difficult to get my license converted so i'm able to fly australian aircraft?

FRQ Charlie Bravo
19th Feb 2011, 08:44
I would love to work for a company like this as my first job. I have seen their website and it looks like an amazing experience.
http://bravellir.com/gallery/d/6888-1/tumbleweed2.gif

FRQ CB

dudduddud
19th Feb 2011, 13:41
So what are the numbers like up in Kunnas now? I'd assume there'd be a few guys and girls digging in right now waiting for the season to commence?

InF3sTeD
19th Feb 2011, 15:16
Well it's different for a guy who grew up looking at farm land lol.

ARRUNUNUK
20th Feb 2011, 08:18
bit of advice for all of those newbie pilots heading north for the season, having your mum/dad call or email on your behalf re employment will not assist in getting a job. man up and make the trip or call yourself. Just the word on the grapevine.

The Green Goblin
20th Feb 2011, 08:59
Alligator was my second job, as with most others when I was there.

Kunus used to have about a 500 hour minimum to get in. Slingair managed to uphold it for a couple of extra years to Alligator, but due to decreasing experience levels, they are forced to hire green CPL holders.

Prior to about 2006/2007 we went to stations, hung around flying schools, ferried aeroplanes, hung around aero clubs and private aircraft owners. We basically did whatever we could to get to about 500 hours.

I had 560 when I started at Alligator.

SPEEDI
20th Feb 2011, 09:09
About 20 pilots all set up for the long haul from wat I've seen anyways

dabz
15th Jan 2012, 00:13
where do all these pilots wanting jobs stay? local backpackers?