PDA

View Full Version : Strange Pricing Tariff

Flock1
11th Jan 2011, 16:29
I am looking at getting myself from Yereven, Armenia to Tbilisi, Georgia.

I was going to fly Armavia direct, a flight of only 45 minutes, but Armavia are cancelling the flight from the end of this month.

So I've been forced to change my plans and I think my best bet it with Aerosvit, via Ukraine.

I checked on their website and the prices are as follows:

Yerevan - Kiev ($276)
Kiev - Tbilisi ($183

TOTAL = $459

However, if I book both flights as one multi-segment, the price rockets to $776!

Why is this?

The only thing I can think of is that If I book both sectors as separate flights, I'd have to clear immigration at Kiev, collect my luggage and then re-check in for my flight to Tbilisi. So for the extra $317, I would alleviate this hassle.

As it happens, I'm quite happy to save $317 for a bit of hassle but I have a few other queries.

1. The Yerevan - Kiev sector is on a Antonev AN 148, and there are only 2 of these in service. Wikipedia says there are issues with this aircraft's reliability, and so If I book this as a seperate flight, and the aircraft goes tech, then will Aerosvit honour my next segment to Tbilisi, possibly at a later date?

2. I will arrive at Kiev at 19.15 and then my next flight departs at 22.40 - Will this be enough time to clear customs etc...

Cheers

Flock1

Hartington
11th Jan 2011, 16:46
There may be different rules in Russia and Ukraine but in general each ticket (and you are proposing to buy 2) is a separate contract. If you fail to check in for the 2nd contract on time the airline has no responsibility to you. The only thing you may be able to do is get a refund (but that depends on the fare rule). Whether you get a refund or not you would have to purchase another ticket for the 2nd flight if you miss it (unless the fare rule allows you to miss the 2nd flight). With 1 ticket (at the higher fare) the rule outside Russia/Ukraine is that the delivering carrier has to find you alternative transportation to your detination.