PDA

View Full Version : Northern airline targets Mil Pilots

jpboy
10th Jan 2011, 18:04
Ladies/Gents

I am reliably informed that a northern airline with a hint of red in their colours will be running an ad in tomorrow's Flight specifically aimed at recruiting Service Pilots approaching an exit point.

Best of luck.

ps. Mods apologies if this busts any rules, not my intention. Simply trying to give former colleagues a decent heads up.

BEagle
10th Jan 2011, 18:09
This one?

YouTube - Yorkshire Airlines (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg)

Ey oop!

jpboy
10th Jan 2011, 18:21
Ah Beags,

Is that you with the whippet being served the mushy peas?

Farfrompuken
10th Jan 2011, 19:56
Yup,

The ad is there, specifically mentions service pilots.

Features a Harrier next to one of their jets :E

Good news at last for some:ok:

VinRouge
10th Jan 2011, 20:15
Farfrompuken,

Its just the start. Post Credit Crunch, the self-fund route has become very difficult for new ATPL applicants. Its only going to get worse. Experience it seems, is going to come at a high premium.

What excacerbates the situation is the underestimation in civil industry regarding how many pilots the service is training these days. The effect of any typical recruitment draw could be catastrophic for the service at a time when dilution is such an issue.

Was this the same airline that tried a rather, ahem, how shall I put it, a "direct" approach to recruitment on 2.1.6. Sqn recently with a leaflet campaign?

New FRI by 2013 by any chance?

BEagle
10th Jan 2011, 21:20
...is 't North's leading leisure airline with friendly low fares and a welcoming service.

We fly from eight northern airport bases, Belfast, Blackpool, Edinburgh, East Midlands, Glasgow, Leeds Bradford, Manchester and Newcastle with our expanding fleet of B757-200s and B737-800s & 300s to leisure destinations throughout Europe including Turkey, the Greek Islands and also Egypt.

By 'eck, it really is based at Leeds Bradford, tha' knaws....

2Planks
12th Jan 2011, 18:53
Yip, Having landed (as SLF) on the short strip of cobbles at Yeadon Geoffery Boycott International, a carrier qual would appear to be useful experience!!:ok:

Just found this on the public section of their website:
Jet2.com - Pilot Recruitment (http://www.jet2.com/pilots.aspx)

Nice to get a specific mention - valued by somebody at least!

Lima Juliet
12th Jan 2011, 22:27
Happy flightings...
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/12/27/article-1342025-0C9692D9000005DC-615_468x569.jpg

BirdController
14th Jan 2011, 17:18
Could always drive one of the parent company's trucks in the meanwhile.......................!

Fowler Welch : About Us (http://www.fowler-welch.co.uk/about)

:ok::ok::ok:

A and C
14th Jan 2011, 19:57
The first type rating course I did with this airline was like a C130 old boys reunion.

AYTCH
14th Jan 2011, 21:45
Before anyone things wow, a quick way into the airlines with what are after all, a progressive and reasonably well thought after company.

Check all the stuff on the Terms and Endearment Section under the Jet2 Hiring very long thread.

The contract for non type-rated FOs is pretty shiite! It truly is a pay to fly contract. Yep the 70% contracts may go at some point but the nett pay is not good as it stands. If you just want to fly then go ahead and apply...just be ready to open the wallet very wide and have it emptied with no way to fill it back up unless wifey has a well paid job or you have a private income.

If they offer a special contract for ex-mil guys on this trawl then go for it but if it is on terms friends were offered recently......and they were guys about to leave the RAF....then think carefully.

BEagle
14th Jan 2011, 23:06
......specifically aimed at recruiting Service Pilots approaching an exit point.
who might be mug enough to blow their gratuities on a pay-to-fly Type Rating?

Oceanic815
15th Jan 2011, 09:07
I know of at least 2 guys with mil ME backgrounds who have been offered direct commands on 100% contracts WITHOUT having to pay for the rating. Don't believe everything that has been written on the 'Jet2 recruiting now' thread!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

NVIS
15th Jan 2011, 19:00
Rumour has it there's a Mil open day at Leeds on the 24th Feb..... Anyone going?

Black 'n Yellar
15th Jan 2011, 19:05
Yes. Can't hurt to see what they have to say.

jpboy
23rd Jan 2011, 21:02
......specifically aimed at recruiting Service Pilots approaching an exit point.

who might be mug enough to blow their gratuities on a pay-to-fly Type Rating?

Beags, a harsh angle to view it from but I guess having been on Trenchard's CFS Cse you are allowed a degree of cynicsm.

I believe there have been plenty of applicants willing to pay for the type rating who have not been successful and as has been pointed out several Service Pilots have been offered 100% contracts, type ratings paid for and direct entry commands if they have the relevant experience.

Self funding training and summer only contracts are an issue across the industry and have no doubt been rightly denounced on other threads. 'Tis a sad sign of the times in which bean counters rule the world, "They know the cost of everything but have no understanding of the value of anything".

I have it on good authority that the reason for targeting Mil Pilots is a belief by senior managemant in the quality of the product. Surely this is something to be celebrated especially in the current climate?

jpboy
24th Jan 2011, 20:47
Response so positive first time around that the bean counters have apparantly bean pursuaded to coff up for another run of the advert in tomorrow (Tue 25th) Flight.

Shows some engagement nes pa?

Easy Street
24th Jan 2011, 22:24
As a cold-blooded business, surely an airline would only make special effort to hire ex-military pilots if there was some direct financial benefit? Perhaps they would be able to squeeze lower premiums from their insurers if they could demonstrate a higher level of flying experience amongst their F/Os than bog-standard pay-to-fly direct entrants?

Regardless of motivation, it's great to see some engagement. May it spread across the rest of the industry in time to make our flying pay pensionable and perhaps generate a new FRI!!

The English Passenger
20th Feb 2011, 12:20
Does anyone know what the hours requirements are for Direct Entry Command from Mil background?

Am sunny-side at the moment and unable to make the roadshow.

Thanks. :confused:

Chomsky
20th Feb 2011, 15:17
Here you go,

Jet2.com is the North’s leading leisure airline, with a fleet of B757-200s and B737-800s & 300s. As we continue to grow, we are looking to recruit a number of Non-Type Rated Captains from both military and civilian backgrounds.
In this position you will ensure the efficient and smooth running of our flights, adhering to our Standard Operating Procedures at all times. You will also ensure that the crew work effectively as part of a team to help achieve our high standard of customer service and on time performance.
To be considered for this role you must have:

A minimum of 3,000 flying hours, of which 1,000 hours must be command time on a medium to heavy commercial or military multi-crew, multi-engine jet or heavy multi-crew, multi-engine turbo-prop aircraft, Written & verbal fluency in English to level 6, A JAA ATPL licence, A valid Class One Medical, A valid passport with no restrictions
The right to live and work in the EU without restrictionYou will have lots of enthusiasm, energy and commitment to customer service as you will play a leading and pivotal role in our exciting plans for 2011/12 and beyond.

The English Passenger
20th Feb 2011, 18:18
Chomsky,

Thanks for that info. I had been a bit cautious on their website, not wanting to click the apply link until I was ready to do so, and I am pretty sure that is where the info lay. Should have had bigger cojones, cause i clicked it a few minutes ago and there was all the info i needed.

Thanks for the reply though.

Good to know I meet the requirements.....guess i will be giving them a call when i get back from sausage-side.

The English Passenger :O:ok:

1013.2 Mb
22nd Feb 2011, 11:15
Jet2.Com Military Pilot Seminar
You need to pre-book your place on 0113 239 7815 and be invited through HR. There were a certain number of spaces available for the Feb seminar (which is now full) but there will be another run soon. There are rumours of some people turning up speculatively without being registered or invited, this is neither recommended nor welcomed. As already mentioned, there will be another seminar run soon which can be booked through the above number.

Hueymeister
26th Feb 2011, 08:30
Quite an interesting day...what did anyone think to what we were presented? I can see why some of their SFO crowd have hopped across to Emirates as the pay isn't great compared to a senior Flt Lt on enhanced FP, but then it's all relative I guess. No seniority is attractive as long as there's opportunity to progress. Capt salary not too bad. They seem to want to expand too.....

Chris Griffin
26th Feb 2011, 09:38
It was good catching up with so many old muckers. My opinion is that seniority isn't always all that its cracked up to be. The RAF could learn a thing or two by going back to promotion based on a meritocracy, rather than promoting those with serious lack of ability / credibility merely because they want it.

Working for a company that genuinely appreciates / awards hard work and ability would be a novelty that may not wear off. Agree that expansion plans appear to be well thought out and rather intriguing as opportunities may be forthcoming.

Having spent the lions share of my time somewhere hot and sandy I respect the kahunas of those looking to make quick money in the Middle East but would be personally more than happy to reside in the UK, and more importantly be at home more often than not. Requirements change and a position of DEC on 100% contract would be difficult to turn down even if BA/Virgin start looking again soon.