PDA

View Full Version : Investiture. Protocol, hints, tips & inevitable banter

NUFC1892
10th Jan 2011, 13:37
Prompted by the PPRuNe welcome of - Hello NUFC1892, it appears that you have not posted on the forums for several weeks. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a debate with other members in any one of the forums? and accepting I am putting myself up as the subject for a bit of humour, I seek the sage wisdom of PPRuNers.

By some oversight I seem to have been selected in the NYHL to be given a gong by HM in the near future:confused::O. Not being a regular attendee at such occasions I really would appreciate any advice by anyone who has attended in the past. Here's a few questions to get started; Mrs NUFC1892 has a 100 others:

1. How much notice of the presentation can I expect to get?
2. How long does the ceremony go on for, including the inevitable 'waiting time' beforehand?
3. How quickly are we kicked out afterwards?
3. Where's the best place to stay the night before?
4. Can I assume the best way to get the Palace is by taxi?
5. What are the potential 'banana-skins'?

All responses appreciated.

Red Line Entry
10th Jan 2011, 14:00
Excellent, the "Mrs Bloggs 'At Home' Etiquette/Protocols" thread was drawing itself to a close anyway. Now is the chance for the Pprune community to up their game to a whole new level!

Many congrats (unless you're ex-mob and have gained it for 'services to banking')!

Duncan D'Sorderlee
10th Jan 2011, 14:04
Congratulations!:D

I can't answer many of your questions; however, when Mrs D'Sorderlee and I attended a Royal Garden Party we travelled to the Palace by taxi. Getting a taxi back was more of a challenge!

Enjoy.

Duncs:ok:

Clockwork Mouse
10th Jan 2011, 15:54
If I remember correctly you will get a letter a month or so in advance from the Lord Chancellor inviting you to the event and asking you to detail up to 3 family guests. You are made very welcome, everything is explained in detail and you can't go wrong. If they still make the offer of a video, take it despite the expense! If you know someone who has got one, the video will give you a good feel of what's involved.
Congratulations and enjoy the day!
PM me if you wish.

Neptunus Rex
10th Jan 2011, 15:57
Stay at the RAF Club - it's nearby and the concierge will arrange for taxis to and from. (From Buck House prompted by a Mobile Phone call.)
Assuming that 'offensive weapons' are allowed, practice getting in and out of the back of a car sporting a sword.
Give your Memsahib a large Cognac prior to departure for Buck House. Have one yourself.
Switch your Mobile Phone OFF.
If engaged in conversation, it is "Your Majesty/Royal Highness" first; thereafter "Ma'am" or "Sir." (Pronounced Mamm, not Marm.)
Relax, enjoy and savour the moment for your grandchildren.
Then back to the Club for a memorable evening.

kemblejet01
10th Jan 2011, 17:20
It's a hoot!

There is an equiry type who gives you the full brief including the tactile royal handshake, unmistakeably letting you know you've had your 20 seconds worth - now off with you.

The video (DVD) and locally taken photographs are eye-wateringly expensive but hey - its a good day out.

Enjoy

KMB01 (member of something or other)

Flymee 2 Da Moon
10th Jan 2011, 17:36
CM says

"If I remember correctly you will get a letter a month or so in advance from the Lord Chancellor inviting you to the event and asking you to detail up to 3 family guests."

Not sure that Ken Clarke gives a monkeys about who attends but I think The Lord Chamberlain may be interested.:O

Congrats on your award, NUFC.

Hope it lives up to your expectations.:D

Dimmer Switch
10th Jan 2011, 18:00
NU,

Between 4 and 6 weeks and, if it doesn’t suit, you can request a change

2. How long does the ceremony go on for, including the inevitable 'waiting time' beforehand?
From walking into the Palace to walking out again is about 2 ½ hours. Actual investiture part, between an hour and 90 mins depending on numbers.

3. How quickly are we kicked out afterwards?
Immediately, but you aren’t rushed or hassled; it’s a gentle mass stroll out to get photos taken where, again, you aren’t; rushed or hassled.

The most special and expensive place you can afford. Unless you have higher aspirations, this is a once-in-a-lifetime do – don’t scrimp. (and echo what’s been said before about eh vid and photos)

4. Can I assume the best way to get the Palace is by taxi?
Taxi will work – you’ll get a car pass that you can use however you wish; own car, taxi, or posh car service.

5. What are the potential 'banana-skins'?
Remember not to salute HM – it’s hard to suppress the instinct !

And congratulations – it really is a day to remember. :ok:

DS

Wrathmonk
10th Jan 2011, 18:26
And try to get there as early as possible - the seating for the guests is (or was in 1995!) "first come first served". None of the "Sirs at the front etc").

If you are taking 'rug rats' with you be warned that the military awards are (were) at the very beginning and after your 20 seconds of fame it can be a long old time for your guests watching person after person coming through on the conveyor belt. And you don't get to meet up with your guests until all the awards are done and dusted!

As regards transport back in '95 you could drive yourself to the palace and park within the gates. Not sure if that's still allowed - guess it might depend on your wheels!!!

sycamore
10th Jan 2011, 18:45
Make sure your No1 still fits,and the shoes are like mirrors....a day to remember..

Old-Duffer
10th Jan 2011, 19:44
Congrats.

Point One: No sword!

Point Two: No other medals to be worn - just the ribbons, including the one you've just been given. You will be fitted with a special clip on which HM will put your gong.

Point Three: Make sure the No: 1 fits and - although you don't wear a hat inside - get a decent SD, not one that's just done a tour o/seas.

Point Four: See your bank manager re the overdraft for the new outfit and hat for Mrs NUFC and other female members of the entourage.

Point Five: RAF Club was good advice, also book a table for lunch and make a day of it.

Point Six: Official photographers are expensive but worth it.

Advice already proferred is good.

It's your day - you deserve it - you enjoy it.

PS Follow the Duke of Edinburgh's policy: never pass a toilet!!

Old Duffer

parabellum
10th Jan 2011, 20:07
Well, that is the serious stuff done and dusted, what about the amusing stuff?

Serious question; is a food or drink involved at any time, like before?

Old-Duffer
10th Jan 2011, 20:51
No Para,

No food and drink before. The occasion is one for a celebration afterwards, hence the suggestion that NUFC takes Mrs NUFC and whoever else to the RAF Club for lunch.

Of course, as we speak (write) NUFC will be propping up the bar having invited all his mates to a celebratory drink and, if his boss is a decent cove, he will have already have received a glass or several of a decent sparkling wine.

Drifting slightly, there was a newspaper article a few days ago about a possible revamp of the honours and awards system in time for Her Gracious Majesty's 60th anniversary bash next February. The last revamp in about 1992 was an unmitigated disaster. Furthermore, any moment soon the squabbling will start over the form and eligibility for the Diamond Jubilee Medal.

O-D

CheapAsChips
10th Jan 2011, 21:35
Off there myself! There are some good tips on the Royal www or there is stuff on YouTube which gives a pretty good run down of what happens: YouTube - Queen Elizabeth investiture ceremony (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPtCemr7y9I)
I'm told that many good hotels in London do "special" packages for people attending investitures - and details may be provided by Lord Chamberlain's Office. As for after BH celebrations, it's up to you - good slap up lunch (Ritz, Savoy, OxO Tower or somewhere ilke that gets my vote although RAF Club is very traditional) and then change into planters for a complete pi$$ up!!! As for best up to date gen, I'm planning to look up someone who I know who's been recently and get the low down. :DHave a great day!

Pheasant
10th Jan 2011, 21:40

1 month ish

2. How long does the ceremony go on for, including the inevitable 'waiting
time' beforehand?
1hr +1=2hrs depending on who is doing the ceremony - 1 = HMQ 2 = PR
3. How quickly are we kicked out afterwards? 30 mins or so - once your phots are taken

If you are serving/very recently retired you will be offered free accom in any of the Marriot Exclusive hotels for you and all your guests....hotels include The Ritz, Dorchester etc - not a bite it is for real and well worth it. It is all to do with supporting heroes.

4. Can I assume the best way to get the Palace is by taxi? Go by car if you want to drive...park in the Palace
5. What are the potential 'banana-skins'? None just enjoy it and spend more than you plan to.

NUFC1892
11th Jan 2011, 04:03
Many thanks to all for the advice so far; as a WO though I am not sure how welcome I would be at the RAF Club. The steer towards YouTube was a surprise so I will have a look tonight. Thanks again and please keep it coming.

Old-Duffer
11th Jan 2011, 06:05
Point taken 1892 re RAF Club but you've sown a little seed in my mind.

Wouldn't it be nice - given the relatively small numbers involved - if CAS's staff arranged for the great man to meet all recipients of state honours after their investiture. The Ballroom at the Club would provide a very appropriate setting and a reception and fork lunch would 'do the business' and be a personal congrats from them 'was in charge.

Memberhip of the club would not be an issue as non-members would be guests.

I shall pick up my pen forthwith!

Old-Duffer

PS You do realise 1892 that you've blown your cover 'cause as I write this there will those scouring the NYHL and their grubby fingers will rapidly alight on your name.

NUFC1892
11th Jan 2011, 06:56
PS You do realise 1892 that you've blown your cover 'cause as I write this there will those scouring the NYHL and their grubby fingers will rapidly alight on your name.

:uhoh: Perm any one from 4

Sandy Parts
11th Jan 2011, 17:40
make sure you order the (expensive) DVD so if the official photographer mucks up his pics, you can still get a pic from the film (happened to someone I know)!

orgASMic
12th Jan 2011, 08:45
A good friend of mine picked up her gong from HM at Windsor Castle at the last investiture. The official video is excellent - lots of lovely shots of the castle and general goings on, the brief to the recipients by the staff and they manage to get each recipient and guests featured in the scene-setting shots of their own video. It must take ages to edit but she really was the star of her own documentary.

The official photos were a bit cheesy but well shot using a very spectacular fireplace as background.

Be aware that HM does hand the reins over to Number One Son occassionally.

Have a great day out and do take advantage of the offers on hotels that will come with your official invitation.
:D

jindabyne
12th Jan 2011, 09:42
Think about an answer to her oft-asked question - "and what/where are you doing now Sqn Ldr?" As I spluttered something about driving a desk, the Royal eyes glazed over, and I was dismissed with a quizical smile. Enjoy your day!

NutLoose
12th Jan 2011, 12:03
While you are there, do ask Liz if Charles has managed to Tcut the paint off his car yet. ;)

asdfghjkl
23rd Mar 2011, 23:10
Bump. Did you miss this one as well?

philrigger
24th Mar 2011, 09:26
;)

Mods.

Where is the post from asdfghjkl dated 2310 hrs on the 23 Mar ??

Philrigger.

rockyDC
27th Mar 2011, 22:38
I agree with all suggestions so far, except that if you take your own car ,you should be able to drive right into the palace courtyard ! If you arrive before the allotted time you can wait outside the gates in a queue and be dry if it is raining! Also be aware that in 2000 you were not allowed to take cameras into the palace , so you can leave them in your car and get some shots yourself, after the event, as well as the official ones. The video seems expensive but it captures everything that happens and even manages to pick you out in the crowds when you leave with your family members! My mother was delighted to view it as she was not able to attend.
Do take time on the way out to actually look at the treasures and pictures on the walls as they are fantastic!
Have a wonderful day!

FB11
28th Mar 2011, 05:33
To add to that already given; yes, you can take your car into the palace and park inside the courtyard right next to where you go in and also where the phots are taken afterwards.

Prince Charles does quite a few so do be prepared for it not being HM.

Everything you need is explained really well in the packup they send you.

Enjoy your day, it's excellent and very memorable.