PDA

View Full Version : Military Bridging, can 500hrs sim time be counted to the 2000hrs total?

Alex Whittingham
10th Jan 2011, 08:28
A piece of good news from the CAA. LASORS says that the qualifying experience for rotary Military Bridging is:

1. A minimum of 2000 hours* flying experience on military aircraft, including at least 1500 hours** as 1st pilot (Captain) or (non-Captain) of helicopters (can incl. max. 500 hours under supervision, as P2 or in a flight simulator).

* As recorded in service logbook i.e. excluding any taxitime allowances.

** QSPs with a mix of military helicopter and aeroplane experience may be permitted to enter the Rotary Accreditation Scheme, depending on their experience. Advice should be sought from PLD.

The 500hrs which may be in a flight sim has usually been interpreted as applying to the 1500hr requirement only. However, in response to a question from a military pilot, the CAA have replied:

Having reviewed your question at our Licensing Policy queries meeting, I can confirm that the 500 simulator hours can be included in the 2000 hours total.

I'll be asking today for confirmation that this also applies to fixed wing pilots.

See below, the answer is that it doesn't - it is for helicopter military bridging only

LeavingSoon
10th Jan 2011, 22:21
Thanks Alex.

For those of who might be in a position to take advantage of this, can you (or anyone equally well informed) advise if we are able to complete the process of exams and application prior to the subsequent achievement of the hours requirement? (aside from the April 2012 issue detailed elsewhere). If so, is there a maximum time period associated.

Alex Whittingham
13th Jan 2011, 08:56
It seems some of the licensing officers at the CAA are unaware of this ruling so here's the full text to quote if required:Subject: RE: Attention Policy
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 15:23:58 +0000
To: [email protected]

Dear Mr XXXX

thank you for your e-mail dated 21 December 2010. Having reviewed your question at our Licensing Policy queries meeting, I can confirm that the 500 simulator hours can be included in the 2000 hours total.

Kind regards

Liz Proctor
Licensing Technical Support Officer
Licensing & Training Policy
UK Civil Aviation Authority

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 21 December 2010 13:00
To: FCLWEB
Subject: Attention Policy

Sir/Madam,

As you can see below, I have been forwarded your address by Alex Whittingham at Bristol Groundschool as was wondering if you could clear up a question for me?

I understand that I can count up to 500 simulator hours into the 1500 hours P1 but can the sim time be included in the 2000 hours total?

My second question was essentially answered by Alex.

As you can see from the emails below, I am looking at completing my licenses at the earliest opportunity and would appreciate any information you may be able to supply me with.

Regards,

XXXX

Regarding the question above, you certainly must have the hours requirement on the point of application. We have had conflicting advice from the CAA as to whether you can start the process before you hit the hours total or not. My view is that you can, because the exemptions appear to apply at the point of application, there's nothing I can see that would prevent you from undertaking training and taking exams before that point. The final decision, though, must come from the CAA so, if you are in any doubt, e-mail them at the address above marking your e-mail "Attention Policy". If you do, I would be interested to see the reply.

Alex Whittingham
13th Jan 2011, 09:36
...and the CAA have replied to my query asking whether this applies to fixed wing as well, the answer is no.I must advise that the ruling does NOT apply to fixed wing pilots. This is because the scheme as proposed by the MoD and accepted by the CAA did not include the use of simulators for aeroplanes; it was only stipulated for helicopters.

chinnyrationcarrier
13th Jan 2011, 13:49
Hi all,

I recently asked the FCL Department this very question and I was told that the 500hr sim time would only count towards the 1500hrs P1 and not the 2000hrs total.

Like most people, I have found it difficult to pull the correct information from LASORS.

The email I received from David Conduit at FCL was:

"To qualify under the Rotary Wing Accreditation Scheme, a QSP must have 2000 hours actual flying experience in military aircraft. While time spent in a helicopter flight simulator may be counted (up to the maximum allowed) towards the 1500 hours normally required in helicopters, it does not count towards the 2000 hour requirement."

This email was dated 20 Aug 2010.

Has the situation changed or was I given duff gen?

I look forward to feedback.

Jamie.

Alex Whittingham
13th Jan 2011, 20:08
I think David has moved on, there's a new man in post. Left hand/right hand etc.

LeavingSoon
13th Jan 2011, 21:04
Thanks for the earlier answer. One last question, admittedly more out of hope than expectation:

In reference to the statement below, should it be interpreted as no more than 500hrs of each discipline or no more than 500hrs cumulative between all three types?

1. A minimum of 2000 hours* flying experience on military aircraft, including at least 1500 hours** as 1st pilot (Captain) or (non-Captain) of helicopters (can incl. max. 500 hours under supervision, as P2 or in a flight simulator)

If it is a cumulative total, then surely either way 1500hrs+ P1 (flying) are required to achieve 2000 total and therefore there is no need to add the sim caveat to the P1 requirement as it makes no difference?

Please enlighten me if I am being a halfwit.

Black 'n Yellar
13th Jan 2011, 21:16
Having gone through the Bridging package, the first time that your hours are physically checked is when you actually apply for the license, so I would agree that there is no reason why you cannot start the process before you hit the hours. You are permitted 3 years from completion of the final exam to get your license issued, so in the current climate that will get you an extra 50 hours, especially if you are a Typhoon mate!!