PDA

View Full Version : QSP PPL hours

ATCAdam
10th Jan 2011, 02:56
I fly with QSPs and was wondering could I count the hours gained towards a PPL or do the dual hours have to be with a QFI? I had a look at LASORS 2010 and can't seem to find anything. I have 28 hours in total but 10 hours are on a motor glider... would these count towards a PPL(A)?

Thanks for reading!

BEagle
10th Jan 2011, 08:06
For JAR-FCL purposes, Air Cadet 'Air Experience' flying is considered to be passenger flying, albeit very interesting passenger flying. It is not considered to be flight instruction.

However, a flying scholarship flown with civil flight instructors may be counted in full.

Your Vigilant time will count towards a PPL with TMG Class Rating, but only 10% of PIC time (up to a maximum credit of 10 hours) on the Vigilant may be counted towards other Class Ratings.

Also look at http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/PDFs/NPPL%20XC%20REV%2008.pdf which outlines credit available towards the UK NPPL.

blagger
10th Jan 2011, 10:33
Anybody with a lot of Vigilant time would also be advised to look at going straight for a PPL with TMG rating, then adding the SEP after or going for an NPPL(SSEA) with the cross credits then upgrading to a PPL after. These route might be cheaper / quicker than using the 10 hour credit.

ATCAdam
10th Jan 2011, 16:00
Thanks BEagle this seems to answer my question to some degree.

“University Air Squadron Flying Training. Pilots who have received formal flying training at a UAS shall receive full accreditation for such flying training. No accreditation will be given for ‘air experience’ flying conducted by pilots who are neither current QFIs nor holders of civil pilot licences containing valid FI(A) Ratings.”

As a staff cadet I’m following a flying training syllabus, so presumably I am only able to count the hours when flying with a FI (A) or QFI.

The NPPL seems a lot more attainable considering the above!

Am I right in thinking that if I have my BGA Bronze badge, with attached GPL, I could cross credit the 1 hour Vigilant flight time then make up the remaining 8 hours with an AEF QFI or Tayside flying scholarship? Towards an NPPL(SSEA) then gaining the solo hour needed from Tayside Aviation on their Tutor/Heron.

Thank you Blagger but I have more hours on the Tutor than Vigilant and as I’ve done my gliding scholarship it is highly unlikely I will go back onto that type; where as I’m Tutor flying most weekends. :)

blagger
10th Jan 2011, 16:13
Unless things have changed since my day (quite possibly!) if you're an AEF Staff Cadet I wouldn't think you are following a formal flying training syllabus - will you go solo etc..?

BEagle
10th Jan 2011, 16:37
ATCAdam, you cannot mix and match credits in the NPPL Cross-Credit document!

BGA Glider Pilots Licence to NPPL (SSEA)

The holder of a valid BGA Glider Pilots Licence who wishes to obtain a NPPL with SSEA Class Rating shall:
a. Produce the BGA Glider Pilots Licence;
b. Produce log book evidence of having satisfactorily completed not less than 10 hours flying training on single-engine piston aeroplanes under the supervision of a FI(A), which must include:
(1) Not less than 1 hour dual instruction in stall/spin awareness and avoidance;
(2) Not less than 1 hour dual instrument appreciation;
(3) Not less than 1 hour supervised solo flight.
c. Pass the JAR-FCL PPL (A) theoretical examinations;
d. Hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAA Class 1 or 2 medical certificate;
e. Pass the NPPL NST and GST in a SSEA.

Paragraph b must all be completed on a SEP or SSEA aeroplane, not a Vigilant (which the CAA classes as a TMG). I very much doubt whether any AEF would give you so much 'free' flight training as that's not what they're set up for and not what my taxes should be expected to pay for. I certainly doubt whether they would be prepared to allow you to take the Skill Tests on a Tutor.

I don't know how much flight time you would be given on a flying scholarship, but the minimum total time required to meet the accreditation allowance would be about 13 hours (10 + 2 skill tests of about 1.5 hours each).

The NPPL seems a lot more attainable considering the above...

That's why I wrote the document!