PDA

View Full Version : Converting to Glass Cockpit

Lindstrim
9th Jan 2011, 20:07
Apart from the standard 1 hr of flight tome to get a rating in a multi-engine aircraft how many hours do you need to have if your converting from steam to a glass cockpit in NZ?

Have tried searching CAA but no luck.

Clearedtoreenter
9th Jan 2011, 20:27
R U taliking G1000? There are a few videos on Youtube to get you started - will tell you where the knobs and buttons are and what they do if nothing else. Not that much of a challenge really, especially if you are used to Garmin GPS. I think Garmin and some other do PC based simulators. Most folk do'nt need much else - then theres always FX10 if you want some practice:)

mcgrath50
9th Jan 2011, 20:55
The basics of it are mostly easy, the principle is of course the same.

Two pieces of advice I would have is do a nav with an instructor who can sit there in control of the plane (doing lookout especially) while you sit and play with function, I have found the best way to learn the ins and outs is to do it yourself.

Also for some reason early on when using the tape altitude I was finding small altitude deviations more acceptable, I don't no why but in my mind 20 - 50 ft looks more wrong on the analogue gauge. Not sure if that's a problem unique to me though :p

Steve888
9th Jan 2011, 22:03
I did a flight in a G1000 equipped 172 recently and found it fantastic for navigation, but very difficult when it came to the circuit and landing. I think the main reason was it's tricky to judge altitude changes required on the tape as opposed to the traditional round gauge.

Ie. It's easier to see: I'm now at 2100' and circuit height is 1500' so I need to loose just over half the gauge, rather than working out 600' in your head when coming into a busy circuit area.

QF5
15th Jan 2011, 05:00
Lindstrim,

I'm not sure how experienced you are, and as a PPL with 160 hours working towards his CPL I'm not sure how helpful my tips will be. However, I did my first 110hrs in analogue C150/C172 and the next 40hrs of so on G1000 C172.

Biggest issue I had trasnferring to G1000 is there is no lag on the instruments so I tended to "chase" the Alt or airspeed tape. Within about 5 hrs on G1000 (two short navs on which I felt like a deadsh*t pilot) I went back to my 'Just fly your power and attitudes' mindset that I'd been taught since day 1 and all was fine and dandy. As long as you set the right power and attitude you are fine, the G1000 alt will jump around +/- about 50ft, as long as thee mean average if what you want then all is good, just don't go making repid changes or you will find you'll never really be in control of it.

Another thing a lot of the other students at my school struggle with is that they get distracted by all the info and don't keep a good lookout outside. I never had this issue, but I know some have.

The only other issue I did have was on my first IF flight under the hood doing unusual attitude work. Where on anologues you get one piece of imformation specifically from one instrument, on G1000 it's all together so when I took over for 15secs or so I actually felt ill (first time in a plane) because the VSI was increasing on one side, ASI decresing on the other, Attitude changing, etc etc.all at once in the 'same picture'. It was fine, got used to it easy enough, but it is different.

Hope it goes well for you mate, I'm sure a few of the guys with much more experience than I will have some nice pointers for you :D.

Lindstrim
15th Jan 2011, 07:47
What I'm more looking for is the legal requirement for it. The company I work for is getting a new A/C with G950 and I'm trying to find in the CAR's and AC's if theres any limits set before you can use it.

Fonz121
15th Jan 2011, 11:06
I can't speak for NZ, but here in oz there are no legal requirements.

On Track
15th Jan 2011, 18:19
Some good points above

In my very limited experience with the G1000 I found myself furiously chasing the numbers on the tape. Normally if my heading, altitude, airspeed or power setting are not quite right, I just make subtle adjustments and wait for them settle to where I want them.

Also found in the circuit that I had my head inside the cockpit too much, searching for info instead of keeping a proper lookout. Presumably that becomes less of an issue when you become more familiar with the equipment.

Corkey McFuz
15th Jan 2011, 18:25
I you're using it IFR, don't you have to have a "technically enhanced" instrument rating or some bollocks like that ?

Inverted Flat Spin
15th Jan 2011, 20:24
There are no legal requirements in NZ, so you could just jump in and go! (as long as you had a type rating). However if you plan on flying IFR you will need a technically enhanced instrument rating.

40Deg STH
16th Jan 2011, 00:56
On Track,

You have made a very good observation there and a regular problem. To my knowledge there are NO requirements and nor there should be.
Always remember, IT AN AEROPLANE!
LOOK OUTSIDE and always get back to basics when it turns to S@@T.
Know what to do if it fails while in IMC, know your systems back to front and never forget to enjoy flying.
I personally want no intruments when I go leisure flying.
I have flown with guys in modern airline jets who forget its an aircraft and forget to fly and only finger push. I have had to tell some F/O's to leave the FMC alone when in the circuit or TMA. It still amuses me to see pilots who get too carried away with screens and buttons.
COMMON SENSE is a lost art:rolleyes:

PS Dont just follow the magenta line.