PDA

View Full Version : US Defence Budget cuts - Jan 2011

TheSmiter
9th Jan 2011, 09:51
Cousins feeling the pain too. This from the horse's (Bob M Gates)mouth last Thurs:

Defense.gov Speech: (http://www.defense.gov/speeches/speech.aspx?speechid=1527)

Haven't digested it all yet but for the JSF, F-35, Dave (whatever you want to call it) fans:

The Joint Strike Fighter program received special scrutiny given its substantial cost, ongoing development issues, and its central place in the future of U.S. military aviation. In short, two of the JSF variants, the Air Force version and the Navy’s carrier based version, are proceeding satisfactorily.

By comparison, the Marine Corps’ short take-off and vertical landing variant is experiencing significant testing problems. These issues may lead to a redesign of the aircraft’s structure and propulsion – changes that could add yet more weight and more cost to an aircraft that has little capacity to absorb more of either.

As a result, I am placing the STOVL variant on the equivalent of a two-year probation. If we cannot fix this variant during this time frame and get it back on track in terms of performance, cost and schedule, then I believe it should be cancelled. We will also move the development of the Marine variant to the back of the overall JSF production sequence. And to fill the gap created from the slip in the JSF production schedule, we will buy more Navy F/A-18s.

Surprised the chief meeja lookout didn't pick up on this story - is ORAC on vacation?

Party Animal
9th Jan 2011, 13:43
Isn't it refreshing to see positive leadership in place. Clear issue = clear and logical decision. Can't remember any statements of that nature made by any UK politician in my lifetime on the subject of shambolic UK MOD procurement programmes with possibly the exception of the Nimrod AEW Mk 3. I do not see the decisions made on TSR2 and MRA4 in any way comparable.

Maybe unpleasant but nevertheless a solid call from the US leadership..

Squirrel 41
9th Jan 2011, 14:36
We started discussing it here: http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/424953-f-35-cancelled-then-what-8.html

And yes, BZ for ORAC's media spotting skills - very useful!

S41

411A
9th Jan 2011, 14:55
The main problem for the US DoD is that the General's ( and civilians) in charge are far too busy fighting the last war(s) and fail (in many cases) to plan for the next...properly.
Case in point...the recent cancellation of the Marines amphib tank, a project that was horribly over budget and totally unnecessary.
The axe fell on this turkey, and I sincerely hope it stays dead as a doornail.