PDA

View Full Version : RAAF VIP Question

gileraguy
9th Jan 2011, 01:20
I know Wikipedia says there are Challengers in the fleet, but the news last night showed Julia landing in what looked like a Gulfstream, complete with winglets.

My question: what's the VIP RAAF A/C with winglets on it?

(it looked longer and skinnier than a Challenger too)

Capt Fathom
9th Jan 2011, 01:40
Probably the QLD Government Hawker 850.

VH-SGY (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cqplanespotting/5095800365/)

SeldomFixit
9th Jan 2011, 02:54
Of course, it may also have been one of our Multi National, Scientologist, do it for love brothers, helping old Red out. No favours sought or given, I'm sure.
Its a club you see, political affiliation notwhithstanding, you are in it, or you aren't.
:ugh:

PLovett
9th Jan 2011, 03:16
Given that the QLD Premier was with the PM yesterday it is a fair bet that it was the Hawker, especially if the Challengers or BBJ was length challenged, or busy elsewhere, for the destinations.

VH-XXX
9th Jan 2011, 03:57
Do they still have the "Falcon" jets or are they long gone?

Trojan1981
9th Jan 2011, 04:06
Yeah, long gone XXX. 3 x CL604 and 2 x BBJ with 33Sqn at the moment.

wishiwasupthere
9th Jan 2011, 04:08
34 Sqn.........

VH-XXX
9th Jan 2011, 05:40
They should have been in the Hawker today!

A PLANE carrying Queensland Premier Anna Bligh and the man leading Queensland's flood recovery, Major-General Mick Slater, has been hit by lightning.
Everyone on board is okay and the premier's office is playing down the incident.
A spokeswoman said the premier and Maj-Gen Slater had visited the flood-devastated town of Theodore in central Queensland and then flown on to Thangool.
The government air wing King Air was struck by lightning after take-off from Thangool, at around 2.30pm (AEST), the spokeswoman said.
"The King Air is out of action for a little while, and we'll get a replacement, simply because it's being used for operational reasons," she said.

sms777
9th Jan 2011, 06:03
Don't know about you guys but i would rather be in a KingAir than an the Hawker if i had a lightning strike :eek:

Stikybeke
9th Jan 2011, 06:49
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the 34Sqn BBJ's have winglets...

Stiky
:ok:

Dogimed
9th Jan 2011, 11:03
Twas the Premiers plane..

Footage looked like engines on the wing..

Ascend Charlie
9th Jan 2011, 22:08
Not sure if it is still the case, but in the Bad Old Days, the pilots from the top of the course went to fighters, next was helicopters, then transports, and the absolute bottom of the course went to the VIP flight. It was considered the worst possible posting because you knew that (a) you were last on the course, and (b) you would be a copilot for the whole posting, under strict supervision.

But these days, with Challengers and B737, it would be excellent preparation for the civil world, last on course or not.

Capt Fathom
9th Jan 2011, 22:26
Twas the Premiers plane..

She treats it like hers, but it actually belongs to the QLD taxpayers!

I should take my plane for a spin one day! :uhoh:

Captain Sand Dune
10th Jan 2011, 05:42
A.C.,
A little different these days. As always, nearly all of those who top their course opt for FJ. However the FJ world is losing a little of its appeal these days. The amount of BS generated by the FJ world these days outweighs the fun value of FJ flying for some. Sometimes it seems they are their own worst enemies.
Additionally as the ADFA boys and girls spend about three years at Canberra, many of them meet the lurves of their lives and then want to get posted to 34SQN so they can play happy families.:yuk: Told you it was a little different!

Flogged Horse
10th Jan 2011, 06:03
CSD,

Respectfully, what would you know about the so called 'BS' generated by the FJ world these days?

FH

gobbledock
10th Jan 2011, 10:09
I know Wikipedia says there are Challengers in the fleet, but the news last night showed Julia landing in what looked like a Gulfstream, complete with winglets.
Funny, I thought she rides a 'sinking ship' ??

Trojan1981
10th Jan 2011, 11:06
34 Sqn.........

Yeah, cheers, did mean 34

Joker89
12th Jan 2011, 21:40
challenger has winglets, Last on course go to kingairs or whatever is left over. 34 get a second flying tour on second type.

FoxtrotAlpha18
13th Jan 2011, 00:06
The PM was in a King Air in her QLD visit.

Captain Sand Dune
13th Jan 2011, 00:38
Was it that aircraft that had a lightning strike? One can only hope..........

FoxtrotAlpha18
13th Jan 2011, 02:13
No, that was the Premier's flight...also a King Air I believe, but not RAAF

john_tullamarine
13th Jan 2011, 03:41
My spies tell me that there is a number of 38 & 32 SQN KingAirs actively involved in flood communications flying work in the Queensland area.

nitpicker330
13th Jan 2011, 11:20
TV showed the PM alighting from a Challenger 604 and meeting the Premier on the Tarmac. As they walked into the Terminal you could see a Hawker 800 parked behind. I don't know which airport it was or when but it was a country airport.

Must have been too small to land the BBJ? Or Julia is trying to cut costs!

The Premier was in a King Air when struck by lightening inbound to Brissy.