PDA

View Full Version : F-16 in emergency landing

vulcanised
8th Jan 2011, 19:43
BBC News - F16 jet fighter makes emergency landing at Prestwick (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12142963)

d105
8th Jan 2011, 20:39
The article reads it was one of a group coming from Germany heading to the US.

Perhaps someone knows this. But if they have to do a ferry flight like that, what about pilot provisions. Food and drink, call of nature and such.

kriskross
8th Jan 2011, 20:48
When I did it, we were given a pack of sandwiches, a small carton of orange juice, and a bottle of water. The 'usual functions' came courtesy of a tube fitting into a plastic bag containing a sponge - you hoped that nothing further was required. That was Goose Bay in Canada to Bruggen in Germany - 6 hours 10 mins according to my logbook. Boredom was the worst problem, followed by minutes of sheer panic trying to latch on to the tanker!!

A2QFI
8th Jan 2011, 20:51
A colleague of mine did a non-stop F-4 trip from Coningsby to Singapore. Some mansized nappies were involved! Because of the Spey oil consumption engines had to be selected and fitted that could do 14 hours(?) without replenishment.

misd-agin
8th Jan 2011, 21:33
Sandwich(es), crackers, cookies and water bottle(s).

Nothing is worse than being 2.5 hrs from land and out of piddle packs. :eek: Plan was to drink a soda and try and hand fly(knee fly?)(no autopilot) while trying to pee into the soda can(that's why we fly with gloves). Then have to wonder how long it would take for the soda to go through me with no place to 'store' it.

Luckily the 'flow' ceased.

Squadron mate has 3,000+ hrs single seat time. Multiple 6-10+ hr sorties/deployments. Career piddle pack use? Zero.

BOAC
8th Jan 2011, 21:39
Try getting scrambled into a 6 hour tanker-supported intercept from deep sleep with a full bladder. Feet used to get warm in the immersion socks..................................:)

bearfoil
8th Jan 2011, 21:39
I was delivering a Skylane to LA once down the valley. Eight hours. Seven sandwich bags, full. They don't leak, and work without any inability to maintain control.

EGMA
8th Jan 2011, 21:55
I didn't take long for this thread to get 'off piste' ....:hmm:

Little cloud
8th Jan 2011, 22:14
Prestwick eh? Anyone spotted Elvis?

Max Angle
8th Jan 2011, 22:31
He had already left the building.

Alber Ratman
8th Jan 2011, 22:33
And he didn't shut down until somebody put the EPS pin in.. Unless they have modded out that stupid system that requires someone to fit it before shutdown.. Hydrazine? nasty ****e!

Airborne Aircrew
9th Jan 2011, 01:22
No-one has considered what a sniper might do in a three day hide then? Or any other long term "observer" hidden up....

Runaway Gun
9th Jan 2011, 04:57
Probably because a sniper has it 'easy' not having to wear layers of clothing, then strapped tightly to an Ejection Seat, and having to fly in formation whilst squeezing out a Baby Nav.

Airborne Aircrew
9th Jan 2011, 12:26
Easy... Yes, that would be it... :rolleyes:

Al R
10th Jan 2011, 05:34
Probably because a sniper has it 'easy' not having to wear layers of clothing, then strapped tightly to an Ejection Seat, and having to fly in formation whilst squeezing out a Baby Nav.

I wish, even in mild weather. An 800 metre stalk in a Ghillie Suit would dehydrate a camel.