PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Winds

ba195
5th Feb 2001, 02:29
Another Q

In the real world, during taxi with a crosswind....does it affect the airplane?

Thanks

------------------
Ben Alexander-Brown
[email protected]

Code Blue
5th Feb 2001, 04:03
In short, Yes.

A/c have a natural tendency to 'weathercock' into the wind. Side/cross winds can lift one wing sufficiently to tip a light single over. Cross winds during a taxi can be so strong as to render conditions unflyable because you can't get to the runway safely http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

'Banking' into the cross wind during the taxi will help prevent the upwind wing from lifting. Similarly, if the wind is a quartering tailwind, pushing the column as if to dive away from the wind will keep the tail down also.

Any help?

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-
edited for appalling typing

[This message has been edited by Code Blue (edited 05 February 2001).]

quid
5th Feb 2001, 05:34
Depends on the airplane. It's not going to have any effect on my heavy jet.

Squawk 8888
5th Feb 2001, 06:36
It can affect a heavy if it's strong enough, but I sure wouldn't want to taxi during a hurricane http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

johnv
5th Feb 2001, 16:05
I fly a light taildragger (cessna 140) The other day I was taxiing out to the runway. Winds were 25knots and the taxiway was covered in ice. It took 15 minutes to finally get on the runway, I kept blowing into the wind. Proper use of aileron and rudder definately made a huge difference.
When I started flying in piper warriors I wondered the same thing, If you get the chance to taxi a light tailwheel airplane you'll really start to notice a big difference, that experience has really improved my taxiing habits in all airplanes.

Dan Dare
5th Feb 2001, 16:49
Aint got no stearing. Aint got no brakes. Aint got no tailwheel. Just rely on rudder authority to be greater than wind effects in order to point where I wanna. Takes some thinking about sometimes.

vipero
5th Feb 2001, 16:56
"in the real world..." does it mean that you fly in the false world???

ba195
5th Feb 2001, 20:44
I mean....I fly on Flight Simulator 2000 and when I'm taxxing, the wind blows the aircraft of the centre line.

------------------
Ben Alexander-Brown
[email protected]

Code Blue
6th Feb 2001, 00:49
Ba:

As an experiment try setting up with diffent surface winds perpendicular to the r/way you're using. Try taxying with a smaller a/c. FS 2000 has a range of sizes. You'll also notice the light singles will tend to turn with throttle application even if the winds are set to zero - that's 'real' too.

Have fun :)

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-