PDA

View Full Version : Flare!

ba195
4th Feb 2001, 20:49
HI guys,

I am currently at High School..........and at the moment enjoy flying Flight Simulators!

But,,,,,,,,this question is related to real world airliners:

In the 767 & 757 at what height should I begin the flare? retard the throttles? at what attitude do I maintain during the flare till the main wheels hit the deck?

Thanks for any help.

------------------
Ben Alexander-Brown
[email protected]

SFly
4th Feb 2001, 21:42
The 767 is my a/c of choice, and as far as the flare goes, It's good to start it at about 30-20ft from ground level. The attitude changes, depending on your descent rate and airspeed. If you're going really fast, you can't afford to flare too much without taking off again, if you're going too slow, you need to pull her up drastically. Sometimes the descent allows for no flare at all (when your attitude is in flare postition anyway and you just have to fly the heading. This seems about accurate to the real world (though if you're doing FS (I can assume because of your being in HS) the whole landing thing is wrong and bent out of shape). It works for me! SFly

[This message has been edited by SFly (edited 16 March 2001).]

ba195
4th Feb 2001, 22:04
Cheers

I thought that was the case as I always want to pull back too much and the aircraft VSI goes from -750,-250,-10,-5,-2,-1........100,200,300 etc...if you see what I mean.

Anyway, good to know you also like the 767 (i also like the 757 aswell). I aiming to go in the RAF at the moment, but if i was to fly for an airline........i'l go for the 757/767.

Have you got 767 PIC yet? I'm ordering as we speak. From SimWare.com. £22.90

Anyway
thanks again
fair winds
Ben Alexander-Brown

SFly
4th Feb 2001, 22:34
You're quite welcome, the VSI shooting up is how I learned, too!!! I also learned very early on that the APR hold is useless in any aircraft Microsoft supplies, so I spent forever trying to learn landings -- and I finally did. Another time I generally start the flare is slowly, at my DH, but not always. As for the 767 a/c for simulator I would have got it long ago -- but I can't afford it!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif
Any time, SFly :)

LastCall
4th Feb 2001, 23:45
SFly

You sure you're not a real pilot? I fly the 767 for real, and what you describe in your previous post is pretty much the way the aircraft really flies.

One small point though, if you fly the last thousand feet to the ground exactly on the calculated BUG speed or as close to it as you can get, I find that most of the landings are predictable and the same. As you wisely said, at the 20-30 foot AGL point, start the flare by closing the throttles and using a little back pressure on the control column. The airplane flies gently into the ground effect cushion, and most landings are rather good.

You've discovered the technique.

Cheers.