PDA

View Full Version : 45 minutes to spare?

Grabbers
7th Jan 2011, 08:44
Try giving this a listen, simply an excellent way to fill the best part of an hour.

BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - Desert Island Discs (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnmr)

Ken Scott
7th Jan 2011, 08:50
Just listened to Sqn Ldr Iveson, a true gentleman officer. Poor Kirsty Young trying to draw emotion out of a man from a more taciturn generation, he was very matter-of-fact about the war years, it was only when talking about the death of his wife and finding love again that she got the emotion she was clearly after.

A pleasure to listen to such a great man. His dismissal of the 'bomber crews were war criminals' brigade was succinct and masterly.

Cows getting bigger
7th Jan 2011, 09:53
Talking about a ditching:

Kirsty - "Did you ever think 'Well this is it'?"

Iveson - "You know, I'm not quite sure. I think I was a little busy."

Old-Duffer
7th Jan 2011, 16:58
In 1995, the then Bishop of Coventry; the Rt Rev Simon Barrington-Ward, appeared on TV from Dresden and called the Bomber Command aircrews 'mass murderers'.

I wrote to him - very politely and in measured terms (which took a bit of doing) - and explained the home truths about the RAF and USAAFs bomber offensive. I concluded by reminding him that he was free and able to stand in the middle of Dresden and pontificate, in no small measure because of the sacrifice of RAF aircrews who he now decried in such obscene terms. I invited him to debate the matter before an audience on the steps of his cathedral (the spire of which had been placed there by a former bomber pilot with a double DFC). Barrington-Ward declined the offer because; 'I have many more important things which demand my attention'.

It is people like him who throw paint over Sir Arthur Harris's statue outside St Clement Danes and will doubtless try to deface the Bomber Command memorial in London once it is built (which is why it ought not to be there).

Old Duffer (with a full head of steam and indignation)

Rhayader
7th Jan 2011, 17:44
It was indeed a pleasure to listen to this fine gentleman and his measured replies to the questions, an uplifting start to the day. After the programme finished I switched on the TV to catch the news and was confronted with an example of our youth today on the Jeremy Kyle show. Depression followed.

:sad:

iRaven
7th Jan 2011, 19:24
and will doubtless try to deface the Bomber Command memorial in London once it is built (which is why it ought not to be there).

Blimey, Old Duffer, that's a bit weak isn't it? What next? Remove "Mesopotamia" and "Afghanistan" from War Memorials around the UK because it might offend the Iraqi and Afghan 'Asylum' Seekers?

:ugh:

Sir, you may have gathered that I am quite upset by this...

Old-Duffer
7th Jan 2011, 19:59
.......... I meant the Bomber Command memorial should be located somewhere else where it can be better safeguarded : NOT that it shouldn't be built!

Apologies should you think I had gone all left wing!!!

Old Duffer

draken55
7th Jan 2011, 20:13
I can understand your concerns OD but when the Memorial is built it's location should not be determined by a fear of those who make no effort to learn the truth and who have a quite different agenda:hmm:

Landroger
7th Jan 2011, 20:33
Thank you for that link Grabbers, I heard the first few minutes of that program on my way to work this morning and I had to hope it would be repeated on Sunday.

What a very impressive gentleman! Lovely strong voice and gently chiding sense of humour, never mind having an almost unique war time career. I can't imagine there were many transfers from Fighter Command to Bomber Command, especially into such a high profile squadron?

Thanks again.

Roger.

iRaven
7th Jan 2011, 20:46
Old Duffer

Misunderstanding understood :ok:

I think Belgrave Square would be better; at least the German Embassy could keep an eye on it for us! :E

iRaven

Grabbers
7th Jan 2011, 22:08
If my memory serves, the Friday morning airing of D I D is a repeat of the previous Sundays broadcast. That is some act to follow, let's hope it has a worthy successor.

Old-Duffer
8th Jan 2011, 06:13
Grabbers,

I fear not. This Sunday it's Gyles Brandreth : nice guy - different league

O-D

Warmtoast
8th Jan 2011, 09:56
If you missed the broadcast it can be downloaded as a Podcast for saving and playing through your MP3 player or similar.

Here: BBC - Podcasts - Desert Island Discs with Kirsty Young (http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/did)

Cornish Jack
8th Jan 2011, 16:43
Nice programme but KY (oh gosh, just realised the implications!!:\) still hasn't got the empathy which her predecessor had. 'T'would have been a different programme methinks. Sort of on topic, the Staish at Khormaksar in the mid '50s was Gp Capt Iverson ... anyone know if there was a connection?

November4
8th Jan 2011, 19:23
Staish at Khormaksar in the mid '50s was Gp Capt Iverson ... anyone know if there was a connectio

Or the SRAFO in Belize in 89?

dagama
8th Jan 2011, 19:39
Not sure about the connection with the staish at Khormaksar, though its a diiferent surname.

The SRAFO Belize could have been Bob Iveson who was a Sqn Ldr Harrier pilot during the Falklands War (1982). His father was a wartime pilot so most likely there is a connection.

November4
8th Jan 2011, 19:41
The SRAFO Belize could have been Bob Iveson who was a Sqn Ldr Harrier pilot during the Falklands War (1982). His father was a wartime pilot so most likely there is a connection.

Yes that was him.