PDA

View Full Version : EK A340 vs Ethiopian 777

yada.yada.yada
6th Jan 2011, 14:08
Anyone hear about this?

January 05 Posted by: suleyman | Yesterday, 10:39 |
Ethiopian Airlines’ new Boeing 777-200 LR collided with Emirates’ Airbus A340 yesterday at Bole International Airport. The incident happened when the Emirates plane was trying to take-off to Entebbe International Airport while the Boeing 777 was parked at Stand 17 in the airport.

The Ethiopian plane flight number ET-501 with registration number ET ANN Boeing 777-200 LR landed on 9:10 am from the US. The airbus smashed the Boeing 777 on its tail Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) with its left wing, while heading to the runway to take-off. Though the airbus left wing was caught with smoke and could not take off, after a while, the airbus have been maintained and made its flight.

On the other end, the Ethiopian Boeing canceled its flight scheduled to take off at 10:15 pm to the US. The tail of the plane was cracked by about 15 cm The Reporter has learnt. According to sources, the question where the plane would be maintained in Addis or at the Boeing head office still stays open ended.

Ethiopian bought Boeing 777-200 LR priced USD 500 million last November. It is recalled that the former Ethiopian CEO, Girma Wake went to Seattle to bring the first Boeing 777-200 LR to Africa. The airline’s officials declined to comment on the issue.

Fack5
6th Jan 2011, 14:26
That's some quality reporting.

Whomever wrote it should take the opportunity to grab a job with EK as a bullsh!t artiste. They can always some talented new pud-knockers here to keep the spin coming thick and fast.

MATMAX
6th Jan 2011, 14:32
not surprising as there are no marks there on the ground at the spots ...
was there 3 months ago and told it to some "responsible people" as the answer i got from marshallers was : we are parking A/C by experience ...
what a great experience !!!
TIA ...

MATMAX
9th Jan 2011, 09:56
but there is a thing i do not understand from an "experienced" pilot : as he should have the sizes of "his" A/C in mind , why not stopping it and call the ATC to ask somebody to come and check from the ground ? or maybe , move little bit on the side of the center line (mostly during day time) ?
Are you not supposed to have a look on your own side each other ?

kiwi
9th Jan 2011, 15:56
On the B777 you can't see your wings or wing tips! When you look to the side it doesn't help with working out if you are going to clear other traffic.

40&80
9th Jan 2011, 20:35
Probably you cannot see your B777 tail either when that is about to be hit.

kiwi
10th Jan 2011, 09:07
My tailplane is seldom in a position to come into contact with obstacles, my wing tips regularly are.
As long as I stay on my taxi line I should have correct separation from other machines. If I am in doubt, I either move off the line or stop. I seldom know for sure how my wing tips are for clearance.
Thanks for the smartarse, snide comment to a reply I made to someone who appears think that wingtips are always in sight.:rolleyes:

MATMAX
10th Jan 2011, 09:09
kiwi,
the EK A/C involved is a T7 ?
there are no sliding windows on the T7 ?
anyway , why not calling if they were not sure of the clearance ???
simple common sense ... can be used to avoid delay , grounding of an A/C , hard times for Engineers and a useless loss of time and money.
any procedure in a similar case ?

Trader
10th Jan 2011, 09:15
MATMAX---I highly doubt that most people could accurately guage wingtip clearance on a 777 unless in extremely obvious tight space. Often on opposing taxiways two 777 look extremely close but, when on the line, there is enough space.

If the pilot is on the line then there is an assumption of clearance!

MATMAX
10th Jan 2011, 09:24
Trader,
I get your point and i know about it as I am an Engineer who did a lot of flying duties (in cockpits) in Africa ...
But , as i said already , why not calling if they were not sure ?

Tachi
11th Jan 2011, 09:36
Sitting in cockpits does not qualify you to comment like that Mr engineer! You have no clue what we go thru as we taxi so please if in doubt ask? For Taxi purposes if in doubt Stop!

MATMAX
11th Jan 2011, 11:13
Mr Tachi,
"Sitting in cockpits does not qualify you to comment like that Mr engineer" , maybe but my statement was to tell that i knew about what i was talking about ...
"You have no clue what we go thru as we taxi " , really ? Do you think that A/C are moving by their own when there are no pilots , who do you think is taxiing A/C while on ground ?
Mr Tachi , do you know what Engineers have to do in such a case ?
Anyway , as i said at the beginning of this thread , there are no marks on the ground at the spots in ADD , do you follow me Mr Tachi ?

km5
12th Jan 2011, 17:25
Great! A p***ing contest between a pilot and an engineer.

Oblaaspop
12th Jan 2011, 17:59
Matmax, no disrespect to engineers who clearly do a great and very important job within their fields, but to my knowledge, no engineer is allowed to TAXI an aircraft.

You may well be sitting in the pilots' seat operating such important devices as the park brake, APU and even the beacon, but sadly you are not in control and have absolutely no baring on where the Aircraft is headed when transporting it from a hangar to the line...... That my friend is the responsibility of the tug driver.:hmm:

captainsmiffy
12th Jan 2011, 18:08
.....or even 'bearing'?!

MATMAX
12th Jan 2011, 18:34
Mr Oblaaspop,
"no engineer is allowed to TAXI an aircraft." , sorry but you are wrong , it is usually a one day course , whom is also 147 approved ...
It is the same in the US , as i remember had seen guys from Delta , few years ago , pushing back the A/C out the hangar , then run the engines and bring the A/C to the departure spot ...
Whats the point of having somebody on the pedals ?
Of course , as you know , there are shearing pins in all tow bars , so what will be the next step in a case of a sheared pin ?
FYI , most of the tugs , everywhere in the world , are not equipped with radios.
Who is taking care of the frequencies ?
Back to the thread , few months ago , in ADD , there was a 747 from Orient Thai (i guess ex-BA A/C) parked , i suppose , at the spot where the T7 from ET was.
I guess that now , some of you , will remember an Engineer there and what he was saying and most important , was doing...
I am not putting myself forward but my point is that i am always thinking twice before doing something , do you follow Gents ?

Anyway , as i said at the beginning of this thread , there are no marks on the ground at the spots in ADD.

h3dxb
13th Jan 2011, 13:40
MATMAX, just stop it. Actually everyone was guilty except the driver :hmm:

The reality was: this B777 from Ethopian jumped on the poor EK bus :sad:

jackx123
13th Jan 2011, 23:51
h3dbx: can you explain how the parked aircraft "jumped" on bus?

""According to an aviation industry professional who witnessed the accident, the marshallers who signal the pilot flying the A340 are expected to be the major accountable personnel for the accident while the air-traffic controller at the tower is also to blame. Usually, three marshallers, one directly signaling the pilot and two watching out the clearance—space between planes on the taxiway—guide pilots on the ground. The taxiway has two directions, labeled C and D and the air-traffic controller was supposed to guide the plane to go towards the C direction in which case the accident could have been avoided.

According to the expert who opted not be named because the person is not entitled to give information to the press, the pilot, however, could have avoided the accident himself using his visual sight to pass the plane safely through the taxiway. The incident happened as the Emirate’s plane, on its way to Entebbe, Uganda, hit Ethiopian’s Boeing 777 which was parked nearby, at Stand 18 in the airport""

I have only witnessed once in my life a parked aircraft "jumping" on another one and that was in FL when Wilma passed by a few years back.:ok:

h3dxb
14th Jan 2011, 06:29
the same way like you jumped on my comment :ugh:

Terry McCassey
15th Jan 2011, 05:16
there are no sliding windows on the T7 ?

Matmax - the ones we have do, if of course you mean the Boeing 777.

h3dxb
15th Jan 2011, 07:48
The EK one was a Bus , and there are sliding windows . Doesnt matter, it happened and will happen again. So be careful in Africa.

kiwi
15th Jan 2011, 07:50
When I'm following a marshaller's guidance, I wouldn't normally think to stop watching the guidance instructions to stop and open my window to check that the mashaller isn't stuffing up!!!
All the Monday morning quaterbacks should bere in mind the adage "there but for the grace of god go I"

MATMAX
15th Jan 2011, 10:03
h3dxb,
Personnaly , in such cases , i am not really interested to know who is faulty , but why it happened just to avoid it again !
But my way of thinking is different than the one of the place you are living .
Terry , all Airbus 330 and 340 and Boeing 777 are equipped with sliding windows ...
kiwi , there are no marshallers when you are on a taxiway , except in some places when some Engineers get the feeling that something "unusual" can happen ...