PDA

View Full Version : (EK) Flight ops weekly summary

donpizmeov
6th Jan 2011, 11:56
I seem to remember when this gem was first created it was to show: how hard the previous week had been for the company; on how pax were refusing to book in the numbers that EK thought they should nor pay the ticket price that EK thought was fair; how much fuel was costing; and how many airbus vs Boeing crews were single engine taxying etc. I guess it was kind of a placebo Vaseline in exchange for the money the company was stealing from its pilots in the form of productivity and DEWA etc.
Now that things are all tickityboo, and the EK money making machine is back in full swing, this "summary" has turned into a place for the assistant assistant deputy chief pilot Boeing's deputy secretary ( That must be the longest job name for a permanent FO anywhere, however his training under Professor Ed does show with his prose!!!) to correct the last lot of **** ups he made in documenting crew rest procedures. A sure sign he could become OIC FCI next!!! Funny how the emphasis of this summary changes with the fortune of the company. Broadcast the bad news for all to hear, but keep the good news very close to ones chest, as we don't want the peasants getting too greedy.

Soon, no doubt, we will once again here about the uncertain future, of belts that need tightening, and of how lucky we all are to have jobs.

Welcome to the new decade. The more they change, the more they stay the same.

The Don

Tajfaa
6th Jan 2011, 12:02
You sad, sad man...

Whatever are you going to waste your calories on when there's nothing to bitch and moan about?

Get a life

:ok:Tajfaa

troff
6th Jan 2011, 12:18
Hit hit road, Don.
No one put a gun to your head to sign on, so stop acting that way.
T

oceanpotion
6th Jan 2011, 14:11
Spot on Don and FACK5!!!:ok: I am always amazed at how shallow, gullible and just fu??ing stupid some of these guys are... They will swallow anything EK feeds them. Thick, Thick, Thick :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Oblaaspop
6th Jan 2011, 15:02
I'm with you Don on this one.

There was a time when the weekly update actually had some substance or purpose (even if it was just to tell us how dire everything was). Now however, it's just a dull uninspiring waste of bandwidth!

777boyindubai
6th Jan 2011, 15:15
Don....you The Man

Spot on post! I particularly enjoyed our new ppruener Tajfaa's post.

Are we in "" EK mismanagement" :E

Please do explain to Don and the other posters what you don't agree about? :confused:

donpizmeov
6th Jan 2011, 17:02
Tajfaa,

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I am 'sad' that management believes it has to lie to us about why our conditions "must be cut to keep it in line with all this ULR flying we are doing", (the fact that it had increased from Aed460/hr in 1996 to Aed 520/hr in 2009 certainly was extreme) and that the information it drip feeds to us must be filtered and manipulated to support its mistruths (see above). At least when TCK shafted us, he had the decency to do it with venom and no held punches (the 1.5% payrise letter was priceless. Memories of his being marched from his office by group security still brings a smile).
I am eagerly awaiting to use your advice about getting a life, fingers crossed crew scheduling will give me more than 1 day off in a row to help me do so. Will do my best to watch the calorie intake as well. Wise words my friend.

Keep recovering

The Don

nolimitholdem
7th Jan 2011, 10:23
I didn't know anyone even still read that shi$t they spam us with. I certainly don't. If I wanted to have someone spin lies into truth I'd just read the apologists here on PPRune.

You know who you are

Wizofoz
7th Jan 2011, 10:35
Interestingly, here's an old post from our friend NLH:-

brucelee,

with the bitterness you're holding on to, I don't think you should have to worry endlessly about your hundreds of lost seniority numbers...your medical will never make it anywhere near retirement anyway.

God, I still meet people in the terminal who answer every "How's it going?" with "Not bad for a guy who got screwed out of 20 years of seniority"...how absolutely, tragically pathetic.

Seems OTHERS having a beef with their employer is "absolutely, tragically pathetic" and it's fine for you to champion the company line when it suits you.

BUT when the boots on the other foot, anyone dis-agreeing with your constant bitching is "Spinning lies into truth"....

harry the cod
7th Jan 2011, 12:02
Wizo

You're wasting your time. There is certainly 'No limits' to the amount of general bitching and moaning him and his cronies constantly spout.

I'm not accepting of everything this Company does. However, like most here, a balanced view is often taken. Unfortunately, these guys don't apply that rule. They're probably the one's who've been bollocked for some mis demeanour and are unwilling to take responsibility for their actions. :hmm:

Harry

M-rat
7th Jan 2011, 13:01
I like don's posts

One of the more analytical posters on these forums. He's pretty consistent in his point of view whereby he likes to look below the surface appearance of things and he's clearly able to think for himself.

Two criteria which automatically place him in opposition to most of what goes on in this city and this company. We need more people like this in our profession - not fewer. :ok:

This was a relevant analysis of the usual crap from the big machine - propaganda from the mucky mucks who like to pretend they're maintaining an even strain. Most of our handlers are a self satisfied clique of perpetual mythmakers - they need to be taken to task on occasion and this forum is a good place to poke a few holes in the windbags.

Kamelchaser
7th Jan 2011, 13:08
Ya gotta admit; a year ago we were being inundated in the weakly (intentional mis-spell) update about how many airlines were making people redundant and (reading between the lines) just how lucky we were having jobs blah blah blah.

Now..in the vein of sharing info you'd think we'd be updated on how many airlines were recalling furloughed pilots, and how many were recruiting etc etc.

Not a word.

Instead, we get the latest ULR rest pattern for somewhere...which 5 mins later is "recalled" as they attached the wrong draft.

I mean..doesn't anybody in Fleet check the accuracy of docs before they're sent out? I think as a commander I'd be heavily criticised if I continually gave out wrong info :ugh:

Wizofoz
8th Jan 2011, 04:46
Totally agree the weekly update was never anything but a propaganda tool to try and quell the dis-content over things like the productivity pay cut, and has since become-well-nothing in particular!!

Yes, Don makes great posts. Perhaps the ardent whingers could look and see how it's possible to highlight and discuss real problems without resorting to the type of hysterical crud put around by the likes of Sheiky and NLH.

Tajfaa
9th Jan 2011, 07:15
Don

I am one of the guys that have enjoyed both your and others posts about conditions for us EK pilots for many years. My only "gripe" with your last one was the seemingly complete inability to find anything positive in anything...

I absolutely agree with most of the posts outlining the different ways our T&C's have deteriorated since I came here over seven years ago but...

I think if we are thruthfull in our "dissection" of our present employer, we find that we're not the only ones having experienced pressures on all parts of our lifes in and out of the cockpit. When I compare my position in Emirates to my friends position in my earlier employer in Northern Europe, I can't say that we are worse off comparably over the last seven years.

In my humble opinion, the biggest change has been that to the industry not to Emirates in particular.

Having said that, we are in the fortunate position to work for an airline that is making money - lot's of it. I think this is where our gripes should be focused. With the retained earnings and continued high yields Emirates continue to enjoy, is is "fair" that we are left with the terms we currently "enjoy"?

Looking at the industry as a whole, I think our new SVP-Fleet (J.A.) put it correctly in one of his wash up's when he commented on the overtime limit: "No, it will not change back to what it used to be (78 hrs). The industry at present does not support going back to those terms."

We don't have to like it, but we better come to terms with it - for our own sakes.

As for "Management" - come on guys! Everytime someone posts a comment about the sun shining, he's part of management. Grow up!

Don - keep up your critical posts. I agree with most of what you say and enjoy reading them, but we don't have to agree to everything do we?

:ok: Tajfaa

donpizmeov
9th Jan 2011, 12:14
Tajfaa,

I am all for freedom of thought. The discussion of different aspects of things is needed for things to be resolved. So I hope we all don't always agree on things as that would mean we must be missing something, wouldn't it?

But going by your last post it would actually seem we may be in agreement here. It would seem I didn't fully make my point in the 1st post. I do see how the pilot career is globally on the slide, I agree with you here, I also see how that of the Airline bean counter is on the improve. Be it the United CEO pays himself a bonus for loosing less money than they thought he could, while Pilots pensions were taken to save the company. Or our managers letting their pilot group 'share the pain', while they get away pain free. Its a sign of the times.

My gripe is that can we at least be shafted honestly, rather than be told altered or half truths? If the company wants to make a weekly communication in bad times to tell how bad things are, shouldn't it share the good news when times are good? If they need to reduce our conditions when times are hard can't they just say that rather than making up some tripe about ULR flying? We will still be unhappy with the bad news, but would at least have some respect and understanding if the news was given to us truthfully. But I am afraid that does not seem to be EK way.

the Don

Saltaire
9th Jan 2011, 14:33
Totally agree with the weekly update. Mostly passed along to the second tier for nothing really positive or interesting. We wouldn't want to be open, honest, cohesive, team building and shed some light as to how the industry is getting better, airlines are hiring again, EK profits are at record highs and wages are increasing industry wide...

Friends at CX ( B scale ) just received a 12% raise for this year and 12% for next. That should be a nice comparative from another expat airline. We all remember the doom and gloom and layoff reports from the last couple years and how lucky we should feel.

Come on Alan, John, etc, now that the horse ( ED ) has left the barn, can we not disclose some positive news in the industry and how earnings are strong and things are looking very promising for the future. A substantial wage increase is required with world food prices and inflation increases on just about everything. I certainly hope EK compensates the pilot group for the last couple years of hard work and sacrifice.

BusyB
9th Jan 2011, 16:37
Saltaire,
Your "friends" are winding you up. Definitely not 12% this year and 12% next. Possibly 12% over 2.5 years

nolimitholdem
9th Jan 2011, 19:56
LOL

Wiz,

I'm just pleased you were able to recognize yourself so readily in my post!

Keep the pom-poms waving! :ok:

Saltaire
10th Jan 2011, 01:55
Busy B, thanks I'll get back to my source, but a 12% raise was just handed out.

donpizmeov
15th Jan 2011, 10:47
Well no weekly summary this week, so i guess those crew rest strategies are finally all sorted. If only it was this easy to fix the productivity, schooling allowance, dewa and rosters.

the Don