PDA

View Full Version : minimum requirement jargonbuster please

glasgowannabe
5th Jun 2001, 19:08
I am a university student considering the self-sponsored route to becoming an airline pilot. I have looked into the self sponsored information available to me briefly.

I am however finding difficulty in understanding the definitions of different liciences gained at the end of the courses.

Could someone please help by giving me a guide as to what the min requirements are to actually be generally accepted as an airline pilot.

Excuse me for being stupid.

twistedenginestarter
6th Jun 2001, 17:36
You need an ATPL and and IR. The ATPL you get by doing the ATPL groundschool exams and the CPL flight exams. The IR is separate, comprising written exams and a flight test. I suspect you can do a CPL/IR combined if you've got lots of cash (30-50000 pounds).

Getting a job is something you'll need to explore on the Wannabe forum.

mad_jock
6th Jun 2001, 17:51
I may be wrong but after you have done the ATPL exams you don't need any more exams theory exams.

the book to get is http://www.transair.co.uk/pages/books/tobea.htm

You can get it from transair or i got my copy from the big book shop in buchanan street (old RBS building) It explains everything and is 8 quid cheaper than the others.

MJ

Tinstaafl
6th Jun 2001, 18:09
You used the phrase 'self sponsored route', so I'll presume you're in the UK...

Licences:

Private Pilot Licence (PPL): approx 40 or 50 hrs flying training + exams

Rule of thumb is that you can't work as a pilot but it is a licence you will gain on your way to a professional licence.

Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL): 150 hrs of training OR 200 hrs total experience with certain minimum training requirements + exams.

The first level of licence that allows you to work as a pilot. You can't be pilot-in-command of an aircraft that requires two or more pilots although you can be co-pilot as long as you've passed ATPL theory AND completed a Multi Crew Cooperation (MCC) course.

The sort of work you do could be banner towing, parachute dropping, aerial survey/photography, flying instruction etc. These are all aerial work operations.

You can do air taxi operations as pilot-in-command in single pilot aircraft. An Instrument Rating (IR) will probably be required to get employed in this area. Not sure if an IR is mandatory to hold a CPL under the new(ish) European Joint Aviation Regulations (JARs).

You can also work in an airline but may not be pilot-in-command of these multi-pilot a/c. You will require an IR. These sort of operations comes under Regular Public Transport.

Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL): 1500 hrs experience + exams.

NB: Some ATPL exams are common to CPL exams. Others are different but give you credits in the remaining CPL exams. Given the choice you are better to just do the ATPL exams instead of CPL exams then, later, the ATPL exams.

This is the highest level of licence. YOu can act as pilot-in-command or co-pilot in any operation for which you are qualified ie have any necessary ratings etc

You will require an IR to hold this licence.

Ratings:

These are 'add-ons' to a licence and extend the capabilities of the licence

Flight Instructor Rating (FI):

If you wish to do flying instruction you will need one of these. It will initially only be an 'FI-Restricted' and with experience+tests the restriction can be removed to be an 'FI'. Often called AFI or QFI, respectively ie 'assistant' or 'qualified' as the case may be).

You may also need some form of Instrument Meteorological Conditions Rating (IMC) or Instrument Rating (IR) as well.

IMC rating: Allows flight into cloud but has restrictions on the airspace in which it can be used. Available as an add on at PPL level.

IR: The 'full' instrument rating. Necessary for flight into into bad weather or into certain classes of airspace.

You will need to hold an Instrument Rating for most, if not all, air taxi operations.

Other

Multi Crew Cooperation (MCC):

A new requirement courtesy of the JARs. A prerequisite for your first multi-pilot aircraft type rating.

Crew Resource Management (CRM) & Line Oriented Flight Training (LOFT)

Non mandatory courses similar to MCC. CRM may or may not have a flight training component to it whereas LOFT involves integrating normal & non-normal events into realistic flight scenarios.

Taken together these two result in virtually identical topics as the MCC covers - except that only one or two very particular courses will give provide you with credits for the MCC.

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 06 June 2001).]

glasgowannabe
7th Jun 2001, 12:22
Thanx very much guys- very helpful!

Flypuppy
7th Jun 2001, 13:10
I can not recommend this book highly enough. Essential reading if you want to gain commercial qualifications.

http://www.ppl-atpl.demon.co.uk/

(p.s. not connected to the author or publisher, just a happy customer)

Icarus Wings
7th Jun 2001, 15:57
Have a look here: www.leedsflyingschool.co.uk (http://www.leedsflyingschool.co.uk)