PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Trainer

MGR1966
5th Jan 2011, 20:25
Hi all. Newbie on here so forgive me if I don't follow protocol!

I have applied for a post with Emirates as a Safety Trainer. I had a telephone interview in the UK which I am pleased to say was successful. I have been invited to attend an assessment day in Dubai & if successful with that, a psychometric test day followed by a final interview day.Can anybody give me some heads up on these as all the threads are Cabin Crew or Pilots - so can't find any info to guide.

If not, can anyone give some guidance if they have been through something similar.

Thanks all,

MGR

MGR1966
5th Jan 2011, 21:41
Told you I was a newbie!!

Its a Safety & Emergency Trainer for Cabin Crew & Pilots - SEP Trainer. A very basic overview is training safety aspects like emergency evacuations, doors, Generic aircraft safety equipment, fire fighting, smoke filled cabins, survival, life-raft drills, Dangerous goods, Immediate medical care, Security, aircraft specific drills, equipment etc...

MGR

mutt
5th Jan 2011, 22:36
sittingidly................ no offence but how many times have you taken safety training in your career?

Did you ever consider that the people teaching you were professionals who earned their living doing this task?

MGR1966, sorry employed by a different company so cant help..

Mutt

a747jb
6th Jan 2011, 04:11
I'm not sure what your final interview will be like, but as for the psychometric testing, its the standard MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory) which has about 800 questions. Well, kind of, its more like 150 questions reworded 5 ways. Anyways, you can't cheat it and it does give a remarkably accurate idea of what your personality is. After this, you will see a psychologist to talk about your results and insure that you told the truth. To my knowledge, this is the same test they give to everyone at EK regardless of department. In fact, if you switch jobs within your department, you will do it again. Go figure. As with nearly all interviews with EK, be yourself, and you will be fine. Wish I had more information for you, but don't know much about that departments interview process.

MGR1966
6th Jan 2011, 08:21
Hi all.

Thanks for replies & heads up on the psychometric. Anyone any idea on the assessment day?

MGR

harry the cod
6th Jan 2011, 09:30
Check your PM"s :ok:

Harry

EXEZY
6th Jan 2011, 12:45
Sounds like the mob I work for, CX.

MGR1966
6th Jan 2011, 17:58
Hi all,

thanks for the replies & PM's - a really nice online community- Ta.

I am very positive about working for Emirates. I genuinely believe it will be the right move for me and my family if I were lucky to be successful. We are all keeping fingers crossed.

Will let you know how I get on.

MGR

givemewings
6th Jan 2011, 18:05
MGR,

Do you mind my asking what your background is? Just that I am interested in possibly chasing up this avenue of work within EK and wanted to know what type of past work experience they were looking for, and what you were hired with

(safety/risk management in other transportation or industrial, other training background, military, or police etc etc etc....)

Thanks

harry the cod
7th Jan 2011, 07:28
"I hAve taken safety training about 40 times in my career and not once did one of the trainers refer to themselves as someone hired as a Safety Trainer."

Well that's because, up until now, all current SEP trainers are ex cabin crew who have left flying for various reasons, such as family or career progression. The new boss of SEP training (K.W.) was brought in from Qantas last year. It is her desire to bring in more experienced trainers from outside Emirates to revamp our training ethos and standards. Change will take time but it's a step in the right direction. This is not a wasted interview purely for fairness or statistical purposes. It is a genuine new position of which several are available. It is aimed at raising the bar and delivering high standard training.

The gentleman who's enquiring is from the UK and has almost 20 years of cabin crew experience with a highly reputable Charter Airline. He is a current SEP trainer and is not, for our racist and bigoted colleagues out there, a 'jingly'! Would it have bothered you if he was?

Perhaps a few more of you need to engage those highly intelligent brains before posting!

Harry

Farrell
7th Jan 2011, 16:54
I stand, humbly, corrected.

Tintop
11th Jan 2011, 12:04
All I know is that as long as you stay off the Bacardi for the three days your there you will be fine ...... ;)

moggiee
11th Jan 2011, 17:49
I applied for a job there back in 2003. The whole selection process was relatively enjoyable and the psychometric testing was spookily accurate (although it didn't tell me anything I hadn't already learned from previous testing in other jobs).

I had to give a 20 minute Powerpoint presentation to 5 training captains and then they went straight into interviewing me! The interview was quite searching and I found that they were asking questions that made it clear that they'd seen the results opf the psychometric testing - so listen carefully to the debrief from the psychologist-type chap because it may help you to prepare for the interview.

There were 4 of us up for two posts as Flight Crew Technical Instructors - the jobs went to the two blokes who were presently unemployed and could start immediately, rather than the two with 3 month notice periods. I don't know if they were the best candidates or just the quickest to get!