PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced Learning Credits

Tourist
5th Jan 2011, 18:30
I feel it is time to cash in some ELCs.

What is the most creative use anybody has come up with to successfully enjoy their free training?

Funny, useful, or bizarre, I will consider all options.

iRaven
5th Jan 2011, 20:23
Useful, but nauseous ATPL "grounds"...:eek:

sunshine band
6th Jan 2011, 08:15
A glamour photography course - ELC provider found, all above board...

...once I convinced the Learning Centre by offering my talents after the course. Still looking for models to maintain currency...:E

Tourist
6th Jan 2011, 19:29
Now thats what I'm talking about!

please pm me the provider details, that is my head mark so far.

Tourist
6th Jan 2011, 21:12
No, really?

Tourist
6th Jan 2011, 21:58
I would like to apologise for the flagrant innaccuracy in my origional post. What i should have said is:-

What is the most creative use anybody has come up with to successfully enjoy their heavily subsidised training thus accepting the small personal contribution in the interests of seeing pusser off to the max?

Can we get back to the purpose of the thread now please?

Aeronut
7th Jan 2011, 03:50
seeing pusser off to the max?

WTF? ?

orgASMic
7th Jan 2011, 08:13
Not the use of ELC, but there was a stink in the press a while ago when an SACW found a training provider to instruct her as a pole dancer as part of her resettlement. And that is free up to your earned entitlement, including T&S.

Tourist
7th Jan 2011, 18:06
I fear that my naked body gyrating on a pole is not really a good idea.

Not after the last time.............

iRaven
7th Jan 2011, 18:47
MoD Gives Grant To Learn Pole Dancing | Home | Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-Archive/Article/200806413345104)

All you need to know...

Sven Sixtoo
7th Jan 2011, 21:27
As this is a rumour site ...

I understand that the relevant staish signed off on condition of a licensing type check in the Officers Mess?

sargs
9th Jan 2011, 11:11
you should keep one of your ELC's back for when you leave as you can use it then.

Yes you should - if you want to pay tax on it. Of course, you could use all three, tax-free, whilst you're still in.....

PingDit
9th Jan 2011, 16:11
A mate of mine went to Sri Lanka for 6 weeks to learn how to train elephants. He told the resettlement people that he wanted to join a circus when he left the RAF at the age of 55.

junglie-driver
9th Jan 2011, 16:33
Having seen Tourist attempt dancing on a pole, I'd have to request no one encourage him. I too would love to know what else people have managed to use ELCAS for. (think I'm also a bit past the pole dancing age).

Use it or lose it.............

Tourist
9th Jan 2011, 16:39
Ah Junglie.

Surely you should now change your name to:-

LuckybstardsunningatEmiratesdriver?

and I was better on the pole than you, fattass:hmm:

Aynayda Pizaqvick
9th Jan 2011, 21:19
I believe if you use it for resettlement then you are exempt the 20% self contribution too. Easiest way is to just google ELCAS and have a browse through their courses (you need a rough idea of what you are interested in or you will be there all day).
Know a guy who has used it to study Spanish in Spain.

Stuff
10th Jan 2011, 05:01
I believe if you use it for resettlement then you are exempt the 20% self contribution too.

Not quite true. You still need to pay the 20%. The difference is that you can use all, or part of your £534 resettlement grant to pay the 20%. As a result you may be able to claim without having to hand over any money from your bank account but you will still have paid the 20% by using up your other allowances.

Paully617
11th Jan 2011, 13:25
i KNOW IT PROB SOUNDS A BIT BORING BUT I HAVE USED 2 OF MY £2K elc'S TO DO MY PPL. iTS SOMETHING IVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO AND AS AN AVIONICS TECHNICIAN, I AM PRETTY SURE I WONT STRUGGLE FOR A JOB ON LEAVING AT 43.

Red Line Entry
11th Jan 2011, 13:52
Especially When You Learn To Stop Shouting Over The R/t!

Tourist
11th Jan 2011, 18:29
To be fair, He did successfully miss out one of the few bits that should have been capitalised.:rolleyes:

junglie-driver
13th Jan 2011, 16:59
so what have the guys been spending their ELCAS on? Would love to be able to use it on something fun.........

drugsdontwork
13th Jan 2011, 18:52
Slight drift but can I use my SLCs on the mil bridging package?

junglie-driver
14th Jan 2011, 09:26
used my SLC on the Bridging Course from Bristol. Used 2x ELC for my CPL/IR. If you book the course at the end of one financial year and the beginning of the next it'll help really help the finances! Good luck. JD

NUFC1892
14th Jan 2011, 10:23
Tourist, perhaps you should visit your FD centre to get an up to date list of what you can actually do with your ELC's. It will be quicker than waiting here for an answer.

But nowhere near as entertaining:)

Albanian Seahorse
14th Jan 2011, 18:08
Perhaps those in the flying training pipeline could use their ELCs to get some flying training...:E

Tourist
14th Jan 2011, 18:24
Really Annoyed

"I don't know what you were hoping to get out of this thread but an ELC is just a humdrum initiative to promote lifelong learning amongst members of the Armed Forces. "

It is the very fact of its mundane wholesomeness which makes the attempt to subvert it in the interest of entertainment worthwhile.

Let me guess, you are the life and soul of the party?

Tourist
9th Apr 2011, 09:33
Ok, I give up on fun and/or entertaining.

Anybody used elcs for an MCC course recently? Looking for one that does it in a big jet sim if possible.

Really annoyed
10th Apr 2011, 20:42
You see Tourist. ELC's are just not funny. Even when you try to be serious people are just not interested.

Back to the top though in the hope somebody might take pity on your plight. A failed comedian and now nobody will take you seriously. Shocking state of affairs.

junglie-driver
12th Apr 2011, 05:50
Any posts about what ELCs were used for other than flying would be greatly appreciated?

high spirits
12th Apr 2011, 06:01
You only work once, and you can laugh at all those suckers trying to build up their pension

Edited to say: Really Annoyed, bet you can't spot who the bell end on your Sqn is.....

Rector16
12th Apr 2011, 07:00
I'll help you out with the humourous facts - there was a (female) SAC who used her ELCs to do a pole-dancing course. Better employment prospects than being a Supplier apprently....:ok:

The rules don't constrain you too much - only your imagination limits you!

xenolith
12th Apr 2011, 07:31
Rector....she was an Ops Assistant.

Tourist, junglie - driver. Try the OU web site they may still do the 'Womens Studies' course. It wont teach you much, that you dont already know, but the summer school is an amazing target rich envronment!

junglie-driver
13th Apr 2011, 06:02
Like your action! Looking to do something outside the UK, preferably somewhere in the middle east? Don't think there are any pole dancing classes in Dubai...

Really annoyed
13th Apr 2011, 15:10
I'll help you out with the humourous facts - there was a (female) SAC who used her ELCs to do a pole-dancing course.

Oh for goodness sake she use her resettlement grant for that course not any ELC's. Why is that even humorous? She is probably making a good living out of it.

MoD pays for pole dancing training - Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article520379.ece)

High spirits, if I were on your sqn it wouldn't take long to work out that it was you.

high spirits
13th Apr 2011, 17:53
Really annoyed? Or just Really cr@p at bantering back..........?

high spirits
13th Apr 2011, 17:57
Seriously fella, that was distinctly below average....

high spirits
13th Apr 2011, 17:58
Are you 'Admin Guru' in disguise...?

Tourist
23rd Apr 2011, 10:02
It turns out that you have to use military accomodation whilst on a course if it is available. This seems reasonable enough if there is a handy wardroom/officers mess, but..
Does anyone know off the top of their head what "available" means, ie distance from the training centre, standard of accomodation etc.
I'd rather not try to complete a course whilst living in transit accomodation, a dormitory or a cadet hall.
Any thoughts?

OCCWMF
3rd Jun 2011, 13:26
Unless it was shared with other pole-dancers presumably...