PDA

View Full Version : Problems with a telex headset

student_downunder
5th Jan 2011, 07:55
Hi there,

Has anyone ever experienced problems with the microphone volume on a telex stratus 30 headest? I am unable to communicate with other people within the aircraft due to the fact of when i speak normally the volume is so loud that they turn deaf (literally - my mate who i was flying with the other day experienced ringing ears), even if their volume on their headsets are set on the lowest possible setting. I have also tried adjusting the volume of the aircraft radios etc, however for other people to hear me effectively the volume needs to be turned down so low that i am unable to hear them over the noise from the engine. This problem is experienced in multiple aircraft (same type though). I have even had ATC tell me once to stop yelling at them :ugh:

I have spoken to telex and they ensure me that this is not a manufacting problem and they are not willing to replace them or even look at them

Note: this problem is experienced with BOSE, David Clark and even flightcom headsets so it isn't just one type

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kelly Slater
5th Jan 2011, 09:01
Telex cannot refuse to look at your headset if it is under warranty. If you bought it in Australia, then you should deal with the agent and not Telex. The agent can do the dealing. You must refuse to take no for an answer, threaten to go public and be prepared to do just that.

Having said that, many microphones, including some telex models, have a variable and adjustable gain. The specs on your headset do not mention one but if it is there, it will be a small, recessed screw somewhere in the middle of one side of the mike. Get a reasonable jewelers screwdriver set, $2 from Dick Smith, take note of where the screw is presently set and make minor adjustments, taking note of any change in performance.

Also, try out the headset in another aircraft type, make sure that the problem exists when nothing is plugged into or blue toothed to the headset other than the aircraft and try to eliminate as many causes as possible.

Below is a link to the Stratus 50D. Although not your model, it should have some relevant information for you

http://www.telex.com/UserFiles/Downloads/aircraft/Stratus_User_Manual.pdf

Ovation
5th Jan 2011, 09:51
Type of aircraft and settings of Intercom system?

Peter Fanelli
5th Jan 2011, 11:33
I have spoken to telex and they ensure me that this is not a manufacting problem and they are not willing to replace them or even look at them

Note: this problem is experienced with BOSE, David Clark and even flightcom headsets so it isn't just one type
Well that kind of eliminates the Telex as being the problem doesn't it?

Jober.as.a.Sudge
5th Jan 2011, 11:49
I once experienced a similar (but different) issue with a DC H10-60. The problem there was, with 2 full headsets in use in the cockpit, radio transmissions were all-but inaudible. After a lot of investigation, it turned out the 10-60's were fine on their own, the older headsets (10-30's I think) were fine on the own or with 2 of the same model, but the radios/intercoms and a mix of 10-60's and 10-30's would not play nicely at all. Turned out to be something to with the impedance of the Electret microphone on the 10-60's and a mis-match with the older mic's on the 10-30's. That all happened on an older model aircraft too, but might be somewhere to take a look! Of course, it might have nothing to do with it too ;)

AVIATOR1982
5th Jan 2011, 22:25
"You must refuse to take no for an answer, threaten to go public and be prepared to do just that. "

Kelly Slater,

I think you will find with that attitude nobody will very motivated to help :ugh:, I recommend you contact the point of purchase and explain the issue's you are having (nicely) and I am sure they will be more than happy to help you out, if it is the headset that is the problem.

It does sound to me like a mic gain issue, as others have mentioned you may have adjustable gain on that model.

Kelly Slater
5th Jan 2011, 23:05
Aviator, they have already refused to help, now they need to have their mind changed.

ampclamp
6th Jan 2011, 00:29

Someone has already tried but it is suely NOT the headset if the above is true.They cannot all have the same problem.
So as someone has already asked what kind of I/C is it? what boxes are fitted?
If there is an audio accessory unit / intercom control box there will very likely be a master mic gain potentiometer.

SNS3Guppy
6th Jan 2011, 00:39
You have an impedence problem.

I'm not familiar with the Stratus, but it may have adjustments. Generally the intercom system will need to be set up for your headset, and the problem comes not from a single headset, but from the mix of headsets you have in the cockpit at the time.

You may need to get a different headset.

Presently I use a Bose QC15 with a uflymic, and it has impedence adjustments available. In fact, the uflymic comes with a small screwdriver to do just that, though I haven't needed to make any adjustment yet.

The only problem I've had was with someone using a new Bose A20 at the same time, and it turned out that the new A20 was subject to a recall for the mic.

If you're having impedence issues, you can't fix it by adjusting volume. Only by adjusting the intercom system, the microphone, or using different headsets.

aldee
6th Jan 2011, 16:12
[QUOTE]Note: this problem is experienced with BOSE, David Clark and even flightcom headsets so it isn't just one type/QUOTE]

Maybe he means the "listeners" were using these headset types?